An unusual approach to improving my DE shave

Hi All,

I posted a few weeks ago about my first week using a DE razor. I was getting along pretty well but was offered, and accepted, some pretty good advice about sticking with one soap/brush/razor and focussing on technique rather than ploughing on with RAD and never really developing a sound foundation for my new-found love of shaving. So what did I do? I'm ashamed, and yet quite enthused, to say that I made a mental note of all the wonderful advice and then did my own thing anyway :roll:

About 2 weeks ago I bought a straight razor from Neil Miller. Since then, I've straight shaved almost every day with a few exceptions where I chose DE shaves, as time was too tight or I wanted a smoother finish. I know, I know, I'm trying to run before I can walk but, while I wouldn't recommend it to all newbies, it's been a really worthwhile exercise for me.

I can't tell you that I can shave as close with a straight as I can with a DE after such a short time but, by using a straight, it has made me learn my face, and the way the beard grows on it, better than ever. So much so that I'm now getting the smoothest, most comfortable DE shaves I've experienced. I truly believe that my stepping into straight shaving has helped me to progress with DE shaving quicker than otherwise would have been the case.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Phil.

I used straights for about 6 months before I picked up a DE, its really horses for courses there is plenty of people out there who done the same thing and people who use a straight and have never used a DE.

Sorry but although new to all of this, just looking at a straight blade makes my toes curl :!: At the moment loving the DE journey, but each to his own, would be a sad world if we all liked the same. :hungrig

Senior straight razor users on other forums always told me..try to shave everyday..this way within 6-12 months your hands will be well "trained" and odds of a mishap will cause to think before you hand your razor..I thought it was all great advice.

Blades

I moved from DE to straights after 3 months, I've now been at it for about 6 weeks, and I can say I get some pretty good shaves nowadays.
When I pick up a DE (which is very rare!) I effortlessly get a BBS shave in no time.. but I get more fun out of a straight!

Max

Back
Top Bottom