Beginner soap issues

So I've been shaving with a traditional DE razor (Edwin Jagger) for the last 6 weeks or so. I have been using Clinique shave gel as I had some to use. I've now decided to use a soap. I decided to try Taylor's Sandalwood. I've just shaved with it for the first time and also lathered for the first time and had a few issues.

I covered the brush with soap and went to work in a bowl to create some lather, but only seemed to create a bit, and it seemed a bit thin, I was going for ages and didn't seem to have much joy. I kept going back to the soap to get some more, but still only ended up with a rubbish lather giving me a thin layer. After I'd shaved my face felt a bit sore, but I'm putting that down to not being too used to the sap and the rubbish lather.

I have watched lots of lather vids and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is this soap a particularly difficult one to lather? Is there a better one for a noob like me? The brush I'm using is just a bog standard wilkinson sword one and when I'm mixing the lather it does shed a few hairs :(

Should not be the soap. I have no experience with ToBS soap pucks but their creams lather like mad.

Looks like you need to add a teaspoonful of water every 15-20 seconds while you make lather in the bowl.
Load your brush well for 15-20 seconds minimum, then go over to the bowl and start swirling by adding water as mentioned above. ToBS should not by any means give you issues with lathering.

Sore feeling later on is from too much soap and not enough water. Watch the videos on YouTube if you have not done so and do let us know how it goes.
It's simple, just persevere and you'll get there.

if your just learning to make proper lather with a brush forget the bowl
go and get a 50p Palmolive stick rub it all over your wet face and starting with a dryish brush work into a lather
spend about a 30sec doing that then dip the brush in water (just the tips, you can always go back for more)
and repeat
in fact keep doing it until the lather becomes too runny, that way you'll see the difference between not enough water, just right and too much

I'm a hard soap user on a fairly regular basis, just make sure that (1) You put some water on the puck while you shower, hard soaps need to soak for a minute or two (2) you load up the brush fairly vigorously for a minute or so until you think you can't pick up any more.

Nowt wrong with TOBs hard soaps, they will lather very well given the right prep.

Back
Top Bottom