Blade longevity and "end" of Polsilver

BBS

I'm down to my last five tucks of Polsilvers, as it turns out the second 100 batch I bought a few years ago were the now notorious fakes. Luckily, I've moved towards getting around 10-20 shaves per blade, following the Excalibur Club antics of other forums of going long on blades. Turns out - for me - my shaves get better and better and smoother the longer I go - no more 1 and done of my early years!

So, in about a year, I'll need to find a new blade, that has good longevity. The usual grail of sharp but smooth, and with good mileage.... Any ideas? Do others follow the Excalibur lifestyle here?

Give these a try. You may find they're the same blade:

I have a few favourite blades, but for longevity it has to be Baili Platinum (green wrapper) for me. After 14 or 15 shaves I get bored, because I have so many other blades to go through. Since ebay stopped selling blades it's become difficult to buy the less obvious ones, but I can still buy the Baili from Aliexpress.

Reactions: BBS
Give these a try. You may find they're the same blade:

AFAIK the new Wizamets are not supposed to be the same blade as the old Wizamet which was reportedly the same blade as the old Polsilver SI. I saw something on B&B where someone had taken pictures of the edge/grind and they looked different to my eyes. It might or might not make a significant difference, but YMMV.

I'm down to my last five tucks of Polsilvers, as it turns out the second 100 batch I bought a few years ago were the now notorious fakes. Luckily, I've moved towards getting around 10-20 shaves per blade, following the Excalibur Club antics of other forums of going long on blades. Turns out - for me - my shaves get better and better and smoother the longer I go - no more 1 and done of my early years!

So, in about a year, I'll need to find a new blade, that has good longevity. The usual grail of sharp but smooth, and with good mileage.... Any ideas? Do others follow the Excalibur lifestyle here?

I can get at least 10 shaves from my favourite Russian Gillettes. When the blade is brand new maybe I could tell the difference between a Nacet, Permasharp and Polsilver SI. After a few shaves (when I think the blade is better than brand new), I don't think I could tell a difference. So I'd recommend trying those and the Indian made 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, which lasts a really long time as well. The Indian made 7 O'Clock Permasharp is as sharp as any blade they make and it's worth trying.

The thing about longevity, to me, is just....using the blade for longer and resisting the urge to change it out. Not that you shave "better" or different etc
Exactly. Most blades are sharp enough to start with; the question is how many shaves before it is no longer sharp enough to do the job.

Almost any blade can last me a week. That is not longevity. 15 to 20 shaves is longevity.
I've said that I use them for a week not that they last that much. They can easily be used more. I just don't like swapping blade from one razor to another so when I get bored of one combo I switch blade and razor.

AFAIK the new Wizamets are not supposed to be the same blade as the old Wizamet which was reportedly the same blade as the old Polsilver SI. I saw something on B&B where someone had taken pictures of the edge/grind and they looked different to my eyes. It might or might not make a significant difference, but YMMV.

I can get at least 10 shaves from my favourite Russian Gillettes. When the blade is brand new maybe I could tell the difference between a Nacet, Permasharp and Polsilver SI. After a few shaves (when I think the blade is better than brand new), I don't think I could tell a difference. So I'd recommend trying those and the Indian made 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, which lasts a really long time as well. The Indian made 7 O'Clock Permasharp is as sharp as any blade they make and it's worth trying.
I've invested in a tuck of 10. For £2.50 incl postage, great deal and had to resist the 100 or 250 on offer till I try them!

I've said that I use them for a week not that they last that much. They can easily be used more. I just don't like swapping blade from one razor to another so when I get bored of one combo I switch blade and razor.
I see your point. I find it interesting to know which blades can go the distance. Supermax blue wrapper give me two shaves so, although I paid £8 for 200, I find them a false economy and wouldn't buy them again.
I don't mind swapping razors and using the same blade, since I have to take apart the razor to dry it and remove the blade anyway.

I see your point. I find it interesting to know which blades can go the distance. Supermax blue wrapper give me two shaves so, although I paid £8 for 200, I find them a false economy and wouldn't buy them again.
I don't mind swapping razors and using the same blade, since I have to take apart the razor to dry it and remove the blade anyway.
I've tried few times to see how long they can really last but got bored after 10 days of using the same combo.

Back
Top Bottom