DE converters

How many of you are looking to give DE sample packs to friends for christmas converting them to this delightful hobbie?

My step dad is 63,he never actually knew how to shave(as strange as it sounds),4 yrs ago I got him a mach3 set for xmas and shaved him and taught him how to use shaving hardware and software,he dosen't even care about shaving,cold,warm water he's not bothered.

Since I started my DE shaving journey just over a year ago he managed to witness my den getting bigger with creams and razors and seems keen but not to that extent,you see the problem is he is not a patient person and thats why I'm fearful seeing him using a DE straightaway,he could rip his face apart.

So just decided to put my persuading skills into test and got him an inexpensive boar brush for christmas to provide that starting point and soon move on to the next level,whether this is going to succeed,only time will tell but I thought it'll worth putting the effort and see what happens.This is now my challenge in 2010,to convert him to DE shaving.

As the old saying here in the USA goes "You can bring a horse to a well, but you can't make him drink"
I would suggest to see how his hand/eye coordination is to begin with..even my dad who is 63 says he doesnt want to deal with anything but a Mach3 blade due to his own hand/eye coordination isnt as sharp as it was 20yrs previously..but thats a great thing in showing someone something that would make sense if he can catch on to it

Blades

I think the best most of us can do is get someone interested in using soap/cream with a decent brush. My dad now has a 404 and uses it with Maca Root. I've just sent my step-dad some Bluebeards for his birthday. He already owns some Trumpers soap and a cheapo boar brush, so next year I might upgrade his brush. My brother has a kind of beard so until he decides to shave that off there's no hope there. Two of my nephews are very early teens so I plan to buy them nice shaving sets when they are a bit older, probably sixteen.

My kid brother already shaves with a DE.

Dad swapped to cartridges as soon as they came out and hated DEs.

Step-Dad has a tatty old brush which he uses with Palmolive cream and Gillette Blue II razors - he has often said a DE was the very best razor he'd ever used.

I will get our kid some of the Maca Root stuff everyone raves about, Dad some nice Trumper's cologne and my step-Dad might be getting my virtually un-used Duke 2 brush.

Pig Cat said:
I think the best most of us can do is get someone interested in using soap/cream with a decent brush. My dad now has a 404 and uses it with Maca Root. I've just sent my step-dad some Bluebeards for his birthday. He already owns some Trumpers soap and a cheapo boar brush, so next year I might upgrade his brush. My brother has a kind of beard so until he decides to shave that off there's no hope there. Two of my nephews are very early teens so I plan to buy them nice shaving sets when they are a bit older, probably sixteen.

+ 1 I´ve got a friend I´m trying to get into this and I gave him a broken in brush + a Arko stick (has to be easy to begin with, I think). Sometimes it can take time though, I worked the same guy with cigars for many years, before he broke and now he has a decent collection :lol:. Our boy has begun to shave now, he´s 14 and he took his first shave a couple of weeks ago (with a Gillette M3) :D.

My neighbour,a retired builder used to shave with ordinary hand soap :? and a disposabe until I gave him a brush and bowl of shave soap a few months ago which he loves and now uses every day . :)
He's still using the disposable but I'll get him a nice DE next and he'll be well on the way. 'Never too old' to change.
He's visiting his sons and daughters in Oz in January and commissioned me recently to make two brushes for his boys over there for Christmas presents, one in Man City colours and one in Liverpool colours. Spreading the word I suppose.
regards, beejay

I bought my dad a DE, soap and a brush for fathers' day. All as yet unused up to now. I won't be making that mistake again.

I just please myself now, and everyone else can shave with whatever they like.

My sons already play shave with a blank DE, soap and brush, so when the time is right, I will show them how to DE shave and then leave it up to them what they do. (probably staraight to Boots for the latest multi blade vibrator!) :lol:

Started my dad off by buying him soap, brush and alum for his birthday. He seems to be enjoying himself so for Christmas he is getting my mint Super speed and a mint Tech along with a blade sample pack. With a note saying if he doesn't get on with them i will have them back. Don't want to see them wasted sitting in a draw unused.

i gave up trying with the old man to get him onto a DE, he's happy with a BiC disposable

same story with a brush but i have managed to get him into using some decent creams which he uses with his fingers along with good aftershaves, colognes and balms

this year he's getting some C&E cream and Thayers WH amoung other things

Mikael said:
Our boy has begun to shave now, he´s 14 and he took his first shave a couple of weeks ago (with a Gillette M3) :D.
Start him out the right way please Mikael! Let him learn early, kids heal quicker anyway! Back 100 years ago kids learnt shaving from their dad with a straight, no reason to use an M3 today ;)

On top of that he would have real "chuck norris" status at school.. "yeah, I shave, I know, I'm 14, I shave with a straight..", no one will ever mess with him.

Go on Mikael, you know you want to!

Max

FrenchBlade said:
Mikael said:
Our boy has begun to shave now, he´s 14 and he took his first shave a couple of weeks ago (with a Gillette M3) :D.
Start him out the right way please Mikael! Let him learn early, kids heal quicker anyway! Back 100 years ago kids learnt shaving from their dad with a straight, no reason to use an M3 today ;)

On top of that he would have real "chuck norris" status at school.. "yeah, I shave, I know, I'm 14, I shave with a straight..", no one will ever mess with him.

Go on Mikael, you know you want to!

Max

Do you think he's likely to get bullied if he said he uses a gillette venus? :?

Putting a nice set together for a mate at work for chrimbo..
Nice tech
mamas bears soap
404 brush
and some nivea asb..and a good sample of blades. :D hope he likes it.

I tried gradually a few years back buying both my brothers and one of my best mates each a tube of Trumpers Shaving Cream and a Men-u brush from boots.

At this time I was using a mach 3 and proraso/TOBS and a no name badger brush.

My mate tried it and loved it and kept buying good cream for himself, 6 months ago he asked if I'd tried DE shaving as he had and it was great. I informed him that I already did ended up giving him all sorts of Blades/Creams/AS etc.

Both of my brothers stopped using the cream once it was done. One went back to using a Wilki Sword Quattro and canned goop and the other tried some body shop cream before moving back to an electric which still gives him hell to this very day.

Back
Top Bottom