Dipping my toe.

I'm getting interested in trying a SE razor, so any advice on what to to try out first? Are there any faults/damage I should look out for that would make a razor useless?

Also, which razors cannot be used with Feather FHS-5s?

I'm gradually getting to know what I like in a razor (weight, material, etc.) and I thought I'd be daft not to try SE.

Any advice will of course be greatly appreciated!

Chris.

Everybody (well nearly) luvs a 1912, sometimes the trapdoor/spring isn't the strongest but you can't really tell that from a picture. Tenner from flea-bay.

I have considered the Schick but more than likely will go for the 1912 due to the fact it's easier to get hold of (plus the pluses). Is there much difference between the various models, such as weight or handle length?

Chris.

The 1912 is the benchmark ...

As suggested, sometimes the back spring cannot keep the blade up to the teeth solid, but grab your kitchen scissors and snip a shim from a DE blade, shove into the back and you've got a good 'un.

Feathers play in all 1912s, Streamlines and the later Featherweight, Push Button, Contours and Flat Tops. They don't work in Micromatics. They also play in ASR Valets, for which I'd say the VC1 is a great introduction.

pjgh said:
The 1912 is the benchmark ...

As suggested, sometimes the back spring cannot keep the blade up to the teeth solid, but grab your kitchen scissors and snip a shim from a DE blade, shove into the back and you've got a good 'un.

Feathers play in all 1912s, Streamlines and the later Featherweight, Push Button, Contours and Flat Tops. They don't work in Micromatics. They also play in ASR Valets, for which I'd say the VC1 is a great introduction.

Thanks Paul, for some strange reason I knew you'd come up with some esoteric advice. I feel the birth of (another) spending spree!

Chris.

I haven't tried a SE Feather blade but I wouldn't restrict myself to compatible SE's, most folks seem to get on very well with coated GEM's.

antdad said:
I haven't tried a SE Feather blade but I wouldn't restrict myself to compatible SE's, most folks seem to get on very well with coated GEM's.

I was just curious to know so that if I wanted to try Feathers I wouldn't be wasting time and money if they weren't compatible with my chosen SE. After all ... I don't want to buy too many razors do I? :icon_rolleyes:

Chris.

Greetings

You should keep in mind that Feather blades are not made to fit in any SE razors except Feather SE razors which I suspect nobody on this forum (or most others) have ever seen (I certainly have not, only a photo) and Valet razors.

They are a less than perfect fit with or without an added spine in some other SE's, even different razors of the same model may or may not take them, they are not the same size as standard SE blades.

As Antdad states I would stick to standard SE blades which are much cheaper and longer lived and shave really well, I personally just use the feathers in those models of Valet's that will take nothing else other than original Valet blades.

If you really want to try feather SE blades in razors other than Valet's proceed gently and if the top cover feels very tight when closing stop and go no further it is simplicity itself to bugger up the spring in the top cover with the oversized feather blades, I have done it.

Regards
Dick

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

You should keep in mind that Feather blades are not made to fit in any SE razors except Feather SE razors which I suspect nobody on this forum (or most others) have ever seen (I certainly have not, only a photo) and Valet razors.

They are a less than perfect fit with or without an added spine in some other SE's, even different razors of the same model may or may not take them, they are not the same size as standard SE blades.

As Antdad states I would stick to standard SE blades which are much cheaper and longer lived and shave really well, I personally just use the feathers in those models of Valet's that will take nothing else other than original Valet blades.

If you really want to try feather SE blades in razors other than Valet's proceed gently and if the top cover feels very tight when closing stop and go no further it is simplicity itself to bugger up the spring in the top cover with the oversized feather blades, I have done it.

Regards
Dick

Thanks Dick, that's most helpful. I'm now going to disregard the Feathers - I like simplicity, the fact that there isn't a great range of blades available for SE razors is a bit of a draw. I must confess that with DE blades I can't tell much difference between them unless it's really obvious ... hope that's not too blasphemous. :angel:

Chris.

The GEM SEs from Connaughts are great! Very much on a par with the Feathers - I only have the Feathers to drop into Valets and an occasional shave (spined) in a GEM/ER.

The GEMs from Connaughts are triple faceted. That means the blade edge actually has three successive edges which lead to a seriously sharp and strong edge. They're good, basically.

pjgh said:
The GEM SEs from Connaughts are great! Very much on a par with the Feathers - I only have the Feathers to drop into Valets and an occasional shave (spined) in a GEM/ER.

The GEMs from Connaughts are triple faceted. That means the blade edge actually has three successive edges which lead to a seriously sharp and strong edge. They're good, basically.

Thanks Paul. I'll put an order in once I decide what else to buy - I'm sure I'll find something.

Chris.

Back
Top Bottom