First shave with DE

Firstly, I'd like to thank Ids for sending me the feather portable DE very promptly with a few sample blades. He mentioned that feather blades were not to be recommended for beginners.. so there I was ordering the sample pack from Connaught specifically for the feather blades :lol:

So my wet-shaving history:
-learnt on 5/8 straight from Neil, slow but steady progress, cuts and nicks, razor burns (all to do with my technique!)
-bought a shavette off pedro083, easy to maneuver after using a straight, but too close a shave ATG: trouble with ingrown hairs ATG
-learnt all about coticules and honed an ebay 7/8 kropp straight from dull to HHT passing, nice shave popping hairs nicely
-bought a feather portable DE off Ids, such an easy and effortless shave, BBS simple

I'm sooooo glad I started off with straight razor shaving! I don't think I would have bothered with straight razors otherwise. For my first shave with a DE, it went flawlessly. Probably aided with the lessons learnt from the countless (bloody) mistakes I made with straights: proper prep, stretching skin, blade angle.

I was surprised with how little noise the razor makes, I had to check the lather to see if it was actually cutting hair! I've usually been shaving with straights in the evening, just in case I made any silly mistakes or razor burn. But after using a DE, I'm confident enough to see me using it for mornings with ATG passes.

If I had to part with straights, I would miss the ritual of stropping,honing, and having a laser like concentration and attention while shaving. But the DE is just too easy. Excuse if I sound condescending, but I don't know how you can cut yourself with one. Having said that, I'll probably butcher myself during my next DE shave :shave

Mockingbird said:
I don't know how you can cut yourself with one.:shave

Good question, Ideally you want to start with a 2 week old blade,going against the grain on your first pass,apply as much pressure as you can and go over the same spot without lather,this should take care of that mate.

Mockingbird said:
Firstly, I'd like to thank Ids for sending me the feather portable DE very promptly with a few sample blades. He mentioned that feather blades were not to be recommended for beginners.. so there I was ordering the sample pack from Connaught specifically for the feather blades :lol:

So my wet-shaving history:
-learnt on 5/8 straight from Neil, slow but steady progress, cuts and nicks, razor burns (all to do with my technique!)
-bought a shavette off pedro083, easy to maneuver after using a straight, but too close a shave ATG: trouble with ingrown hairs ATG
-learnt all about coticules and honed an ebay 7/8 kropp straight from dull to HHT passing, nice shave popping hairs nicely
-bought a feather portable DE off Ids, such an easy and effortless shave, BBS simple

I'm sooooo glad I started off with straight razor shaving! I don't think I would have bothered with straight razors otherwise. For my first shave with a DE, it went flawlessly. Probably aided with the lessons learnt from the countless (bloody) mistakes I made with straights: proper prep, stretching skin, blade angle.

I was surprised with how little noise the razor makes, I had to check the lather to see if it was actually cutting hair! I've usually been shaving with straights in the evening, just in case I made any silly mistakes or razor burn. But after using a DE, I'm confident enough to see me using it for mornings with ATG passes.

If I had to part with straights, I would miss the ritual of stropping,honing, and having a laser like concentration and attention while shaving. But the DE is just too easy. Excuse if I sound condescending, but I don't know how you can cut yourself with one. Having said that, I'll probably butcher myself during my next DE shave :shave

Looking forward to your reviews on Styptic Pens Vs Alum Blocks ;)

Nice account.

I generally don't see any blood when shaving with a DE, UNLESS I do something stupid, and I suspect that it's the same with any sharp object.

Catching the edge of my nostril while manouvering a razor around my nose was a favorite at one stage.

Ian

James_uk said:
Mockingbird said:

Good question, Ideally you want to start with a 2 week old blade,going against the grain on your first pass,apply as much pressure as you can and go over the same spot without lather,this should take care of that mate.

ROFLMAO !

JohnnyO said:
James_uk said:
Mockingbird said:

ROFLMAO !

asnwers the question don't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom