Fountain Ink Pen Acquisitions

For some reason, the Al-Star bronze 2019 special edition is about half the normal price at Cult Pens with a choice of nibs. I got the medium. Great pen for the price, add a bottle of ink and extra nib and it's still priced below the regular Al-Star!! ( or a converter and nib or ink)
Right then, with a desire to improve my "spiders scrawl" handwriting and suitably enabled by @BigBruce 's post I placed an order for a couple of beginners pens to try.
Very reasonable with the discount heads up by Iain @Digimonkey
Screenshot_20210514-052002_Gmail.jpg
Everyday's a school day.

Right then, with a desire to improve my "spiders scrawl" handwriting and suitably enabled by @BigBruce 's post I placed an order for a couple of beginners pens to try.
Very reasonable with the discount heads up by Iain @Digimonkey
View attachment 69832
Everyday's a school day.
Good effort T. - I'd like to think someone at Cult Pens is currently scratching their head and wondering why there has been a sudden spike in sales of this particular model. :)

I can't fault this company - they are very good. My partner writes a lot at work and uses a Pilot pen that takes the G2 gel refills - mainly because they do a 1.0 mm broad line version - and had used hundreds without incident but last year one leaked. She sent a mail to Cult Pens basically just to flag this up to them. They responded within the hour - asking her for the batch code so they could check with the manufacturer to see if there had been an issue with that run - next day she received a box of ten gratis from them with an apology. That's pretty good customer service. I.

Last edited:
That's my trouble, pop my head in the door to say hello and always end up staying a while.
Today's practice went well. I have basically decided how i would like my writing to look and started practicing, these pens are real easy to get on with, both came with a cartridge which I just push in, by the time the 2nd pen had its cart fitted the 1st one wrote straight away, I have done about 1hrs practice split into 4 session's.
I like both the M & B nibs and have not decided what I like best yet.
I have plan to work to, and a reason why I am doing it.
Before I pulled myself out of the hole another order went In.
Screenshot_20210515-194823_Gmail.jpg
While the pens were at a discount I went for a fine nib, then I needed some writing materials and a notebook cover. I used the discount code and was eligible for 3 free A6 note pads.
The next little jaunt should be letter paper and envelopes once I feel confident to write a letter.
T

Last edited:
That's my trouble, pop my head in the door to say hello and always end up staying a while.
Today's practice went well. I have basically decided how i would like my writing to look and started practicing, these pens are real easy to get on with, both came with a cartridge which I just push in, by the time the 2nd pen had its cart fitted the 1st one wrote straight away, I have done about 1hrs practice split into 4 session's.
I like both the M & B nibs and have not decided what I like best yet.
I have plan to work to, and a reason why I am doing it.
Before I pulled myself out of the hole another order went In.
View attachment 69925
While the pens were at a discount I went for a fine nib, then I needed some writing materials and a notebook cover. I used the discount code and was eligible for 3 free A6 note pads.
The next little jaunt should be letter paper and envelopes once I feel confident to write a letter.
T
Coincidentally, I ordered an Atoma A5+ notebook today, just the cheapest one though! Couldn't afford to splurge on the leather one.
Don't know what the paper will be like but I've found Rhodia 80gsm to be one of the nicest.

Coincidentally, I ordered an Atoma A5+ notebook today, just the cheapest one though! Couldn't afford to splurge on the leather one.
Don't know what the paper will be like but I've found Rhodia 80gsm to be one of the nicest.
To get the best from a fountain pen you need to use decent paper. I also have Rhodia paper and it's a delight to write on.
The Atoma notebook looks very tempting though.

To get the best from a fountain pen you need to use decent paper.
Absolutely correct - there is no point in buying a nice pen and then using shite paper. It needs to be designed for the job - otherwise it may bleed and feather and you'll end up wondering why you bothered moving up from a Biro. For me -

General use-
A4 - Rhodia head stapled A4+
A5 - Midori - nice minimalist design, no branding and the binding allows the notebook to open properly flat.

Work -
Oxford Optik paper A4 notebooks, music notation spacing. Very useful - it is easy to annotate/correct what you have written.

Letter writing -
Elco Velin A4 - old-school heavy 100 gsm paper.
Tomoe River A4 - 52 gsm - a joy to write on - remarkable stuff - a paper this light but no bleed, feather and minimal show through.

Enjoy writing - I.

@Blademonkey

As has been said above to get the best out of your fountain pen you must use the best paper.
I use.....
Tomoe River A4 FP 52gsm cream or white, fantastic Japanese paper that is perfect for fountain pen use and
Midori I love for general note taking etc, I use the A4 lay flat pads.
The Japanese know what they are doing when it comes to paper....and of course fountain pens.

Paul.

I eventually got round to putting this month's purchases together. The inks at the back are self explanatory
Pen related stuff from the back:
Moonman Eyedropper pocket pen filled with Ancient Copper
Jinhao 75 filled with Grey
Lamy Fine nib and Converter
Jinhao 75 filled with Registrars ink. Permanent and waterproof for work.
Moonman C1 filled with Delamere Green
Moonman M2 (eyedropper)
Lamy Al-Star

All are fitted with fine nibs as that is what I prefer!

Back
Top Bottom