Gillette 7 O'clock Review

Re: Gillette 7 O'clock

Might be a tad rusty by now.

Not tried the yellows yet, got a pack pifed to me to try but the greens seem to work for me. Got 10 packs for 6 quid off that auction site...

jon_hall said:

Not tried the yellows yet, got a pack pifed to me to try but the greens seem to work for me. Got 10 packs for 6 quid off that auction site...

How would you compare the greens to Wilkinson swords?

eneville said:
jon_hall said:

How would you compare the greens to Wilkinson swords?

Not used a WS for a while but do have some. Mind no idea what type they are.

Greens are reasonably priced and do the job.

Currently on Shark SS and just ordered 300 for less than 14 quid.

Will be trying the yellows out tomorrow i think to and then another green after to see what difference i might see.

RE: Gillette 7 O'clock

Not sure if its bad luck or not yet. On blade number 3, first one and this current one are giving me crap shaves and both times i've got nicks and slight razor burn. Shave two went bloody good, so might just be either dodgy blades or a dodgy person trying to use the bleeding things.

Still the greens work for definate so there a build up stock of blade.

I find they give a very good shave but if I use them for several days in a row I get irritation as if there is some kind of cumulative effect, I get the same with multi blade carts.

Just using my last to shave between the days I don't use a straight, I much prefer superthins.

On the first blade i got if on shave one. If they don't work not a massive loss as i have at least three regular types that do work for me, and a Lord sample pack to try (already ordered a lod of Sharks that agreed with me)

I was about to put up a review of the yellows but seeing as this thread has been started I will just comment here.
I used the yellows in my Flare tip rocket, my progress and futur. I did 3 pass shaves with all and used the same prep each time for the record was derby shaving cream, T&H pre shave, Alum and proraso after shave.
the progress and the rocket did not like these blades they cave me an uncomfortable shave which is the first time this has happend to me, but it was a very close shave I was happy but had a few nicks on my neck each time I shave with them.
I the Futur the blade was quite smooth and again gave me a close shave so I'm surprised about that.

I'm still not sure if I could pull the trigger on some more of these but I do get very good shaves with them.

Big.Dave said:
I was about to put up a review of the yellows but seeing as this thread has been started I will just comment here.
I used the yellows in my Flare tip rocket, my progress and futur. I did 3 pass shaves with all and used the same prep each time for the record was derby shaving cream, T&H pre shave, Alum and proraso after shave.
the progress and the rocket did not like these blades they cave me an uncomfortable shave which is the first time this has happend to me, but it was a very close shave I was happy but had a few nicks on my neck each time I shave with them.
I the Futur the blade was quite smooth and again gave me a close shave so I'm surprised about that.

I'm still not sure if I could pull the trigger on some more of these but I do get very good shaves with them.
I have never got on with these in the past, but lately have been experimenting. I've concluded that they need a palm strop before use to prevent abrasiveness and that they work better in Gillette razors than in my merkurs or Edwin jagger. I think Gillette blades do work better in Gillette razors - less pulling. I'm pleased I sussed these yellows out at last as they ate popular, not overly expensive and easy to get hold of.
Prefer the green super stainless though!

I've been using the black "ninja" from India - got some in a sample pack - and really like these. They are smooth and last me 5 shaves.

Uh-oh, just loaded my last one - must remember to get some more...

I have used the yellow's in the Merkur 34 and on the first run I found them to be on the 'scary' side of sharp, but I'm on my 4th use of the same blade and the edge is still sharp.

They do 'calm' down after the first shave, just need to be careful on the first run.

The problem is, once you find a very sharp blade everything else seems to be blunt in comparison.

I'm a fan of both. I find the green super stainless (the Russian greens) are extremely smooth and fairly sharp but only last me 3 shaves or so. The Yellow sharpedge are sharper, but admitedly are slightly rough on first shave... they do get smoother after that and they seem to last longer, usually 5 shaves for me.
Everyone differs but the answer seems simple to me, get rid of your yellows and stick with greens. Must admit, I prefer the green though I think we're probably in a minority.
Must try those Greens and Blacks

Back
Top Bottom