Hello from Somerset

Hi Jim,
wow what a family history!
A great opportunity over time to maybe get an insight into the commercial world of brush making.
Enjoy and a warm welcome.
Tim

A very warm welcome to you Jim.

Konstantinos
Riga, Latvia

Mikael said:
Good thing you like "Jim", you don´t want to be confused with Jimmyman, it could be devestating in the B/S/T section :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Fido said:
Hello Jim

Welcome to the forum. It's good to see you here. I note on another thread that you must know that the world of internet shaving forums is not all sweetnesss and light. C'est la vie. But it is very entertaining.

Can you imagine how you would have used the internet during your business years?

I shall look forward to reading your contributions.

Yes this world of cyber shaving is much more, how can I put it, boisterous than I imagined it to be!

From the family's perspective the internet explosion regarding traditional shaving came along a few years to late to be able to keep the business in the original lineage. I only have to look at GFT and D.R.Harris and how they are using the medium to see how some of the 'Old Boys' have moved with the times. I struggle enough with e-mails and sites such as this to understand the 'ins and outs'! I think it would have been left to Gary to deal with the internet side of things. We would probably have looked at forming a website that included much more historical information, photos etc of the working mill and the processes involved. Back when we still owned the business it was quite a regular occurence to have group visits to Nimmer to see the brushes being made first hand. We were always very open with our customers and relished the opportunity to show people the 'Simpson way'. Personally I think a tad more openess, regarding their facilities, on the part of some of the larger companies wouldn't go amiss. I am sure this would only serve to improve customer service and belief in the individual brands.
Gary has spoken to me about your own brushes and I can only commend you for doing what you are doing. I know my son has aired a couple of views regarding the names used but we both admire the passion you obviously have for creating your brushes.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim

Each business takes it's own view on the benefits of openness. Some in the shaving industry stay well clear of the forums. But I bet they know what is being said!

It really is good to have you here.

Fido said:
Thanks Jim

Each business takes it's own view on the benefits of openness. Some in the shaving industry stay well clear of the forums. But I bet they know what is being said!

It really is good to have you here.

I am sure there are plenty of anonymous users who frequent the sites to keep tabs on the general trends!
I know times change and methods change but a bit more visibilty would I am sure be welcomed.
I have seen on another site that your brushes have opened debate. From a business point of view that could be very good for you I am sure. I think Gary commented that your openess regarding your initial brushes and now your current range should be applauded. I agree. It is refreshing to know that you have local craftsmen turning handles. The brush making world has changed so much since the 1950s which of course was inevitable. Processes changed from decade to decade, with new materials being introduced and new demands from consumers. Some of the change benefitted Simpson, some unfortunately didn't. Having to compete with mass production did put a strain on our handmade/crafted set up. Both my father-in-law and myself didn't want to lose the original identity of our business and head down the route of 'knock them out' brushes.

Jim

Welcome Jim,

As you know, the world of shaving is that curious (and sometimes uneasy) mix of technology and tradition. It's very interesting to have your perspective on how things are versus how they were!

Michael

Back
Top Bottom