HI from Turkey- ADVICE needed

Hi guys

Im a newbie Irishman living in Turkey.

I hope to get some good advice here.

I want to buy a DE, I think

new, vintage, secondhand, doesnt matter, but easy to find blades to suit on Ebay.

Ive very very sensitive skin and experience razor burn/ rash almost everytime using modern razors like Mach 3 etc from the supermarket.

Max budget £30

What models would you recommend bearing in mind the above skin issue, ease of use and that Im new to all of this?

Cheers in advance

paul

I'd recommend before you go any further, acquiring a brush and some shaving soap or cream and try your current setup with that first... Should be easy to find the cream at least in Turkey (Derby, Arko are two that spring to mind instantly that should be readily available).

The other thing is possibly counter intuitive - but ease off on the pressure with your current razor and don't run over any areas that don't have lather on them (if you want to go over it again, dab a bit of lather on)

Hello Paul, welcome to the forum.

Hunnymonster's advice is excellent, and following it will pay dividends. When it comes to buying a DE razor, you'll find that there are quite a number of threads discussing the pros and cons of the various types available dotted here and there - try General Shaving, Shaving Help and DE Razors.

Hi Paul and welcome to TSR. :)
EJ and Merkur are always popular brands for first time razors.
I initially went for an EJ DE87 which is quite mild but it'll still give you a close shave.
Plenty advice and other recommendations however as suggested by Arrowhead.
regards, beejay

Hi A/Paul, welcome to the hotbed of opinions which is TSR. Im in the Muehle / E. Jagger camp with the 89 headed razors. Reasonable length of handle which allows you to vary your grip, light weight & a razor good enough to ensure that it may well be the only one you'd ever need. (Well, I did say need rather than want).

The Merkur isn't a razor which would spring to mind if I was thinking of a first razor for someone with a sensitive skin, however as you've already seen, views on that differ.

Have fun finding what suits you.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Hi artistpaul welcome to the forum!

Razor wise, I'd recommend the Edwin Jagger DE89, it is a lovely, well finished razor and well in your budget.

Hi and welcome
I like vintage gillettes. Superspeeds or techs are a great shave for me.
You can get a superspeed for less than 20 and a tech for less than a tenner.
In fact. Techs grow on me day by day.
Plus what the others said!!
Cheers
Tim

My advice would be before spending any money, go to a reputable barber in Turkey - perhaps go with the recommendations of the locals for someone they know and trust as reliable, safe, clean, etc.

Then, get yourself a straight shave from them and it would be good for you to see how that pans out for your face and sensitivity.

I had the same trouble as you back in 2005-6, but with monster ingrown hair/razor bumps rather than just sensitivity (I got that too). A tub of Trumper's Rose scented cream (and subsequently the hard shaving soap) along with the Coral Skin Food product sorted my face out in no time. I have never gone back since.

Back
Top Bottom