Is Yaqi less scratchy than my proraso?

Hi guys,

I currently have the proraso shaving brush and I am not sure I’m a fan. It feels very “scratchy” on the skin. I have spent the last couple of hours looking through the forums and have seen a lot of people recommend the Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia. Does anyone have any experience with these? Will it be softer or are there other options you recommend?

Hi guys,

I currently have the proraso shaving brush and I am not sure I’m a fan. It feels very “scratchy” on the skin. I have spent the last couple of hours looking through the forums and have seen a lot of people recommend the Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia. Does anyone have any experience with these? Will it be softer or are there other options you recommend?
Indeed, it's my favourite brush. It's not scratchy at all. YMMV.

20240727_204747.jpg

I don't have the 24mm Yaqi Sagrada Familia brush, but as far as I know, it uses a "standard" thin hair Tuxedo knot, which is pretty soft.
dscosmetic also have brushes with a Tuxedo knot.
Other knots that are soft or softer (tips and fibres) include Cashmere, SynBad (both available from APShave co.), Mühle STF, the SynBad variant Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements use in their Doppler brush, the horse-hair like knot in The Green Ray and the Mother Lode knot.

Bear in mind that depending on how they are set, they might be on the floppy side.

I don't have the 24mm Yaqi Sagrada Familia brush, but as far as I know, it uses a "standard" thin hair Tuxedo knot, which is pretty soft.
dscosmetic also have brushes with a Tuxedo knot.
Other knots that are soft or softer (tips and fibres) include Cashmere, SynBad (both available from APShave co.), Mühle STF, the SynBad variant Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements use in their Doppler brush, the horse-hair like knot in The Green Ray and the Mother Lode knot.

Bear in mind that depending on how they are set, they might be on the floppy side.
I am going to have a look at a couple of these sites and see what tickles my pickle! Thankyou.

I was also looking at the Timberwolf, have you any experience with the Yaqi brushes?
I’ve tried a few, the Sagrada Familia is a lovely brush, ideal for everyday or travel. It can be a little small for some. I’ve tried ‘taller’ knots from them and the Timberwolf is excellent too. Their boars are a little rougher than other but you can’t go wrong with the synthetics for the price!
I currently have a tuxedo knot in my limited edition TSR brush from @giles

I have at least half a dozen Yaqi synthetic brushes, including Sagarda Familia and Timberwolf. All are very soft.
The Timberwolf being a taller knot, is a little 'floppy', but it still works fine.
I've only used one boar brush, and I didn't have the patience to break it in.

I have at least half a dozen Yaqi synthetic brushes, including Sagarda Familia and Timberwolf. All are very soft.
The Timberwolf being a taller knot, is a little 'floppy', but it still works fine.
I've only used one boar brush, and I didn't have the patience to break it in.
If you were to throw a recommendation out of the Yaqi brushes which would you say you use the most?

If you were to throw a recommendation out of the Yaqi brushes which would you say you use the most?
Anything 24mm with a bulb shape knot.
Moka Express & Tuxedo are both very good.
The Moka Express knot being the softer of the two - it really is Feather soft.
Aliexpress is the place to buy them cheap - Yaqi have an outlet store.

Hi guys,

Re. Proraso, you most likely have pure (Boar) bristle which needs to be broken in which causes the ends of the hairs to split and become soft. Probably the only time split hairs is desitable. Until it's broken in it will be scratchy. Several methods have been claimed to speed up the breaking in process. Personally I just use it but give it a rub on a towel and then completely dry it before using it again. I would say using my method using the brush every two days will take a month.

The tuxedo knot on the Yaqi sagrada familia mimics a broken in brush and is soft at the tips while maintaining backbone. I have it as my travel brush. Synthetic bristles don't need to be broken in. I notice a slight price increase in the Yaqi Factory Store on Aliexpress which is now £9.50 plus tax with free shipping. Expect price fluctuations.

Back
Top Bottom