John Coltrane

The obvious answer is A love supreme, which I kind of like but don't actually have a copy of. I've got a German pressing of Soultrane (Prestige 7142), which oddly doesn't actually have 'Soultrane' the track on it (its on Mating Call P7070). Been a while since I played it, (or indeed any Jazz or Blue Note kind of stuff), might have to rectify that tomorrow.

+1 for A Love Supreme, great album and Blue Train is another, his style changed over the years and he released so many albums so it can be difficult to pin down " his best"!
It's good to see I'm not the only TSR member who appreciates Coltrane. :cool:
Thanks for your replys chaps.

Paul.

I used to like Coltrane, but it's been years since I last listened to anything.

Many, many years ago when I was a bar DJ, I used to play 'My Favourite Things' mainly down to it was the only album of his I had on vinyl! When it comes to guys like him and Miles Davis, I try to keep an eye out for albums which have musicians I like, for Coltrane, I like the albums when he plays with McCoy Tyner,

Not strictly John Coltrane albums, but he played with Miles Davis for a few albums, and I remember being told they were pretty good. I will give them a listen to and get back to you!

I used to like Coltrane, but it's been years since I last listened to anything.

Many, many years ago when I was a bar DJ, I used to play 'My Favourite Things' mainly down to it was the only album of his I had on vinyl! When it comes to guys like him and Miles Davis, I try to keep an eye out for albums which have musicians I like, for Coltrane, I like the albums when he plays with McCoy Tyner,

Not strictly John Coltrane albums, but he played with Miles Davis for a few albums, and I remember being told they were pretty good. I will give them a listen to and get back to you!
I've got to be in the right mood to fully appreciate and enjoy his music but I suppose that's the same for everyone.
At a low volume it can help me drift off to sleep!
This does not happen if I'm listening to Motorhead or AC/DC! :)

Paul.

Yes, I was kind of into jazz for a while having gone down various rabbit holes of what could broadly be termed 'mod' but which encompasses ska, reggae, blues, proper RnB (no thongs!) and even Latin. My collection is fairly broad. I have come to the conclusion that to really 'get' jazz you have to be a muso yourself, which I'm not, just a lover of good tunes. As such, I have drifted from jazz towards stuff that I engage with on a more emotional level. I don't dislike it, but it's like with shaving, you like a lot of things but go through phases where you reach for certain things more than others. In my current frame of mind I'm either looking for feelgood stuff like reggae or something like Rammstein to carry the stress away. I will come back to twiddly plinky goodness at some point when there's less going on.

Yes, I was kind of into jazz for a while having gone down various rabbit holes of what could broadly be termed 'mod' but which encompasses ska, reggae, blues, proper RnB (no thongs!) and even Latin. My collection is fairly broad. I have come to the conclusion that to really 'get' jazz you have to be a muso yourself, which I'm not, just a lover of good tunes. As such, I have drifted from jazz towards stuff that I engage with on a more emotional level. I don't dislike it, but it's like with shaving, you like a lot of things but go through phases where you reach for certain things more than others. In my current frame of mind I'm either looking for feelgood stuff like reggae or something like Rammstein to carry the stress away. I will come back to twiddly plinky goodness at some point when there's less going on.
You must listen to the album Blue Train, there is no twiddly plinky stuff going on at all! :)
YMMV :)

Paul.

I've got pretty wide musical tastes, including lots of jazz, some of it quite out-there. I'm really annoyed that I don't "get" Coltrane.

From past experience, I know that if I sit down and listen a lot, I will probably eventually get it. Somehow I've just never put the effort in.

Back
Top Bottom