More advice

So what's the process when shaving is finished
Is it cold water rinse then balm then aftershave or EDT or is it balm aftershave then more balm then moisturizer at bedtime

What is the advantage of using an aftershave over an EDT

As you can see I'm more than confused as everyone seems to have a differing opinion or order of ultimately doing the same process

EDT is not for use on the face ... especially not after shaving. Use your EDTs on pulse points like the sides of your neck and/or inner wrists.

Right, after shaving less is more. Give your face a good rinse with hot water to remove all the soap and then I like to have a good splash of cold water. You could well leave it at that. I like to use an alcoholic aftershave splash because I like a taut face but I'm in my 50s and don't want or need a fresh-faced look. If you're one for moisturiser (and it does sound like that might well be your preference), then I'd say look at good balms for after your shave ... and, as you say some moisturiser before bed.

I'm absolutely not knowledgeable about balms (other than they exist and why you might use one) so defer to others for suggestion.

Shave ... hot rinse, cold rinse, balm ... done.

I like to follow up my shave with a cold water splash, then usually aftershave but sometimes balm, depending on what mood I'm in. I believe there's no right or wrong way, just whatever works best for you. But I wouldn't put EDT on my face.

Mine has varied. I used to immerse my face into a sink of cold water (which I still do when it’s really humid but more so for a “treat”) and then use post-shave balm. I went through a phase of using an alum block in between before having another rinse and then using balm.

Now I have a cold water splash and then use an aftershave lotion or my Lab Series water lotion toner followed by a post-shave balm or moisturiser.

I just shave as normal, once you have mastered your shave, shouldn't be long, you shouldn't suffer razor burn or any skin problems. You can then just rinse and you'll be fine. I just finish with a spray of my favorite aftershave fragrance and I'm done. Occasionally if I do have a rough shave, rare but it happens, I will apply some Aloe Vera and that sorts it in 10 mins. A lot of balms are just pots of nothing, designed more for eye appeal than actual use, you'd do better with Lard.

Back
Top Bottom