Mustard Oil

Damian Murphy said:
How on earth would you use it externally ? :?:

Bruce.jpg

It's a slow working rat poison...eventually gives them a heart attack if they use it to fry their chips.

They use it in India as mosquito repellent, hair conditioner etc

hunnymonster said:
No, it's fine - I have 3 bottles here - what I really want to know is, since it's all marked as external use only, is it really a concern to eat it or is it more spurious bollocks from Brussels (like banning the sale of borax as a cleaner, because you can also use it as a pesticide)?

Actually, it is because borax has some not so nice toxicological properties. Which can easily be taken care of...

Some mustard oils may contain 'high' levels of erucic acid - which may not be totally healthy if your entire oil consumption consist of mustard oil. However, mustard is a close relative to rape and other brassicas and rapeseed oil also contains high levels of erucic acid. Rapeseed which is grown for the production of food grade oil is low in erucic acid, due to selective 'breeding' (so-called double-zero varieties). There may be mustard oils that are similarly 'developed'.

What would concern me more is the presence of glucosinolates and the isothiocyanates that are derived from them, pungent and toxic. However, this is also what gives mustard, horse radish (wasabi) and radishes their taste and tang, so as long as mustard and horse radish are not on the EU ban list...

antdad said:
From Wiki

Mustard oil was once considered unsuitable for human consumption in the United States, Canada, and the European Union due to the high content of erucic acid. This is because of early studies in rats. Subsequent studies on rats have shown that they are less able to digest vegetable fats (whether they contain erucic acid or not) than humans and pigs.[4][5][6] Chariton et al. suggests that in rats: “Inefficient activation of erucic acid to erucyl-CoA and a low level of activity of triglyceride lipase and enzymes of betaoxidation for erucic acid probably contribute to the accumulation and retention of cardiac lipid.”[7] Before this process was fully understood it led to the belief that erucic acid and mustard oil were both highly toxic to humans.

In fact, you can give rats stomach tumors by gavaging them with corn oil...

Some years back there was a popular newsgroup (before widespread broadband and forums taking over) on Indian food in the UK; at the time I put together a website as a sort of FAQ using posts from the newsgroup.

This excerpt is the answers re Mustard oil
Mustard Oil

1. Using
1. This really is the one for Indian cooking in my experience. Raw and during cooking it is extremely pungent but once cooked it is quite sweet.
You can buy it from Indian grocery stores.
2. Yes mustard oil does make a difference to the taste of dishes. I can't report on its use in Chicken Tikka, being veggie, but can vouch that it is pungent enough to remain discernible in the taste of quite highly spiced dishes.
2. Now the disconcerting thing is, that all mustard oil sold in UK is marked with the warning "for external use only". It is the law that mustard oil cannot be sold without this warning, although many people, including me, have eaten it and lived to tell the tale. There was a big scare about mustard oil in 1998, when people in Delhi died from eating contaminated oil, but it was the contaminant that did the harm, not the oil.
The only suggestion I've found about grounds for not eating it generally is an assertion that "it contains allyl isothiocyanate and erucic acid, both of which have been implicated in some health problems". If you have eaten wholegrain mustard, then you have eaten the oil and therefore these substances.
3. Purity
1. Mustard oil in the bottle looks like any other oil, except for its bright yellow colour. I assume it is made in the same way as any other oil from seeds, such as rape seed oil. There aren't any bits of mustard seeds left. The bottles I've bought in Rusholme in Manchester list only mustard oil as the ingredient, so no infusions.
2. Mustard and rape are closely related but rapeseed oil has little flavour or colour. However the label made no claim to be "mustard oil", despite the name of the product, and it was a main ingredient.

Currently rapeseed oil is popular and there are many coldpressed extra-virgin bottlings which do have a rich colour.

Back
Top Bottom