My latest plunge! SE

[attachment=10165] I've moved even further on in my budget blowing quest... can anyone tell me anything about this Everready, model, date or similar? Its actually my second SE alongside a GEM, both are in the post to me atm!

Attachments

• ER1.JPG
    ER1.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 63
Greetings

That is an ER 1912, 1912 refers to the year the of the patent, they were made in very many slightly differing models on both sides of the Atlantic under the Ever Ready, GEM, Star and Treet 'badges'. The factories in Britain were wholly American owned.

They can quite fairly be described as the most successful SE razor ever in terms of numbers sold and the length of their production run which continued from 1913 until sometime just after the last war.

Most of the UK models were made under the Ever ready label but a very few were made in the UK under the GEM label, most of the UK models say made in Great Britain some say made in England. There are very many different styles of handles.

The great majority of them are nickel plated, a few late models were chromed, some are utility models and were left as plain unplated brass.

Production in the UK was at it's height in the thirties which is probably when your razor was made.

They shave beautifully.

Regards
Dick.

Nice example, pal. That particular handle was sold in a "retro" Deco case during the '30s. Most likely that's the age. Yes, it's a "1912", which refers to the patent rather than the date.

Enjoy it for what it is, a great shaver, and be happy to consider it from the '30s.

Brilliant! Thanks Dick, this one is in very good condition, blades on the way from Connaughts, really looking forward to this, have heard some very positive things about the SE shave experience and will report back... or you'll see it again in the BST section with 99 spare blades

they are great shavers - i have one in rotation with my merkur slant, gillette black beauty and numerous straight razors...

Enjoy, and you'll be in disbelief of the crazy sound they make when they are slicing through your whiskars

When you first use the razor just make sure that the blade is located correctly in its bed. I've only once made the error of slightly misaligning the blade & managed to leave myself with one cheek resembling a red ruin from my first, gentle pass. Fortunately there was no serious damage, however it taught me to double check the blade alignment before use. If you get even a couple of weepers on the first pass chances are that you need to relocate the blade, as in my experience the 1912 seldom if ever gives even a nick.

Enjoy.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom