new member looking for advice

Good afternoon gentlemen and ladies (we wouldnt want to be un-P.C. now would we.) I too have been thinking through the pros and cons of straight razor shaving and I am finding more and more that the pros out-wiegh the cons. After doing some research I have made a list of the things I would like to buy but before I do I thought I'd put it up here. If anyone has any advice about any of the things I have put up or thinks that something should be substituted for something better or thinks something should be included which I havn't thought, of it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the list: Omega pure bristle shaving brush (connaughtshaving.com)
Mitchell's wool fat shaving soap in a dark oak bowl (same website)
Dovo prima silver steel straight razor (mysmokingshop.co.uk)

pig cat has suggested, in another forum, a vulfix grosvenor brush instead of the one I listed and maybe a different soap and has advised me to contact Niel miller for a more appropriate razor for a newbie which I am if anyone has any other suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you very much.

Hello and welcome, Alex.

I used an Omega for a while, they're fine although they do have a distinctive aroma to start with. Think pigsty. :s

Wool Fat only just got edged out of my top three, and that's just because I don't use it so much in the summer. Great stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it at first because some people just don't get on with it at all, and others have allergic reactions to the lanolin. The best affordable soap for straight razor users in my opinion is Nanny's, available from Soapalchemist here, one of our lady members and by far the most active on this forum. Cella's very good too, and available from Connaught.

Now, the razor. I have a Dovo Prima in front of me right now by coincidence, and it is not a nicely made razor. It may be a one off ... maybe not. I'm confident it will take a good edge because Dovos generally do, but I definitely don't recommend one because they're stainless. That means more difficult honing, and being charged accordingly, and they don't respond very well to stropping either. Whoever put you onto Neil was right: you'll get a more suitable starter blade from him, and excellent advice too.

I have an Omega Boar and am happy with it but they do take a while to break in, badger takes less time. That Grosvenor does have a good reputation but be aware there are several different Grosvenors the one Connaught sell is boar, Diamond edge sell a boar/badger mix which is the one people like and there is a just badger one as well.

As for a 1st soap I would recommend that you pop into your local Tesco and buy some palmolive sticks, grate them into a bowl with a cheese grater and you'll have a soap which isn't very fragrant but which performs brilliantly.

I have no experience of Dovo's but from what I've read they don't tend to come "shave ready" so unless that shop also hones them you will need to get it professionally honed. As you will also need a strop I would recommend contacting Neil and seeing if he can do you a deal on a shave ready starter razor and strop.

Thank you for your advice I have just left a query at strop shop and have looked at the brush thank you jetz for informing me of the different types I wouldnt have thought to check that and thank you for the tip about the soap I'll try that when i decide on my first straight razor. Thank you arrow head for the advice on the razor perhaps it was just the gold decoration that was arousing my vanity when it came to the dovo I have looked at nannys and for 5.50 a tin Ill definitely try that one aswell.

Thank-you

alexthorpe said:
Good afternoon gentlemen and ladies (we wouldnt want to be un-P.C. now would we.) I too have been thinking through the pros and cons of straight razor shaving and I am finding more and more that the pros out-wiegh the cons. After doing some research I have made a list of the things I would like to buy but before I do I thought I'd put it up here. If anyone has any advice about any of the things I have put up or thinks that something should be substituted for something better or thinks something should be included which I havn't thought, of it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the list: Omega pure bristle shaving brush (connaughtshaving.com)
Mitchell's wool fat shaving soap in a dark oak bowl (same website)
Dovo prima silver steel straight razor (mysmokingshop.co.uk)

pig cat has suggested, in another forum, a vulfix grosvenor brush instead of the one I listed and maybe a different soap and has advised me to contact Niel miller for a more appropriate razor for a newbie which I am if anyone has any other suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you very much.

Niel has a good selection of vintage razors. I'd take one of those for the same price over a new Dovo.

MWF, haven't tried it yet, but for a beginner I would recommend Tabac instead. I reviewed Tabac here. But to be honest, you can start off using whatever your using now, it just might not be as pleasant. Whichever soap you choose, remember that water is your friend, not thick and dry lather.

No opinion on the boar brush. I personally did not like it. If you have an opportunity to try brushes side to side, I highly recommend you do so. Brushes are a very highly personal choice.

Thanks for the welcome Tim.

I would like to try some brushes side by side but unfortuneately I live in the north of england (near Blackpool) and there aren't any shops that sell shaving accessories of this kind that I know of. Does anybody know of any that they can tell me about?

Also I neglected to think of stands I assume I will need a stand for razor and brush should I look for any inparticular or is a case of one stand fits all?

Thanks

alexthorpe said:
Thanks for the welcome Tim.

I would like to try some brushes side by side but unfortuneately I live in the north of england (near Blackpool) and there aren't any shops that sell shaving accessories of this kind that I know of. Does anybody know of any that they can tell me about?

Also I neglected to think of stands I assume I will need a stand for razor and brush should I look for any inparticular or is a case of one stand fits all?

Thanks

For quality equipment, you really have to go with the internet unless you live in London. I'm in Norfolk, and, John Lewis apart, I'm no better-off than you in respect to "bricks and mortar" sellers.

alexthorpe said:

You don't really need a stand for either the brush or razor its a matter of personal preference. Personally I keep my straights and strops in the bedroom as I feel they shouldn't be stored in the humid environment of the bathroom. The brush however drys out say on its base, that does stay in the bathroom.

Well if its not essential then I won't bother with the stand.

Ordered all my stuff on friday juast waiting for it all now, unfortuneately its all coming from different sources so wont arrive at the same time but when it does I'll start a new thread and let you know how the first shave went.

Thanks

If you've come straight from cartridge world then you are making quite a leap, not impossible but still a fair jump. I'm of the opinion that learning how to use a D.E razor first with it's disciplines is a good stepping stone.

Welcome Alex. Top notch advice all round. I think using a DE to bridge the gap between cartridge and straight is very sound advice. It'll give you time to master your lathering technique and get to know your face in terms of angles and beard growth. Straights are a steep learning curve (I've found this out the hard way) but the path will be that little bit easier for you if you master some of those bits and pieces first. You can pick up cheap but effective DE razors and blades from Boots so your outlay won't be to much. Good luck and good to have you along.

Alan

I never thought of D.E. shaving to begin with, as I am coming from "Cartridge world." I'll just have to take things really slowly to start with.

Thanks for the welcome max.

Back
Top Bottom