New to me Wilkinson Sword Empire set

I got this recently at a very good price for what is appears to be an unused razor, the before cleaning pictures;
bhhs0g.jpg

678dpe.jpg

5lcq4h.jpg

mavtcx.jpg

2mga3h0.jpg

o8c2me.jpg

zlc8cg.jpg

It came complete with four unopened blades and all instructions, the strop was a little dry but not brittle or cracked, the lid insert lift tab had come off but is still present and the box needs a polish, othyer than that it's almost like new.
I'll post more pics after the clean and polish.

Derbyshirechap said:
I got this recently at a very good price for what is appears to be an unused razor, the before cleaning pictures;
bhhs0g.jpg

678dpe.jpg

5lcq4h.jpg

mavtcx.jpg

2mga3h0.jpg

o8c2me.jpg

zlc8cg.jpg

It came complete with four unopened blades and all instructions, the strop was a little dry but not brittle or cracked, the lid insert lift tab had come off but is still present and the box needs a polish, othyer than that it's almost like new.
I'll post more pics after the clean and polish.

They are great looking pieces of kit. There are some instructions on how to mod a Gem SE blade to fit the head, involving snipping corners. I have yet to find a way to hone the hollow ground blade for these razors - the actual blade is not very deep. Looking forward to seeing your post clean up pics.

Jon

My intention is to use the original blades!!! I've not been too impressed by the GEM or Feather blades I've used in either Valets or Eveready razors, I find the blue steel Valet blades to give a great shave when stropped well so may try one of those if I can't get the original WS blades shave ready.

Derbyshirechap said:
My intention is to use the original blades!!! I've not been too impressed by the GEM or Feather blades I've used in either Valets or Eveready razors, I find the blue steel Valet blades to give a great shave when stropped well so may try one of those if I can't get the original WS blades shave ready.

Wow, a true believer! Lovely looking set. Probably one of the earliest safety razor models ever made. I don't know much about stropping I'm sure those blades will last ages. Good luck!

I've got the same set minus the strop. Although they are a little clumsy to use around the nose area they give a decent shave using the blue steel Valets. I had a couple of NOS Wilkies but they were pretty duff to use.

I also have one of these, obtained a few months back. It's in great condition, even has the original instructions & cardboard sleeve for the wooden box but unfortunately for me, the blades are in mint, un-opened condition! Now, I just haven't the nerve to open a sealed box that been like that for 80 years or so.

I keep thinking of opening it, but each time I look at it, and the seal on that blade box, I just tuck it away again. Maybe in another 80 years or so, someone will have the balls to un-seal it LOL

pjgh said:
Stuff a de-spined GEM blade into it, Stephen. It's a fun shave. I'd put it more over on the novelty side, but in all honesty, it shaves well. Not quite 1912, but good.

OK Paul, I'll try that. Actually it's because of you I bid on it in the first place! I think I read a post of yours where you had just bought one, or cleaned one up? It looked such a lovely bit of engineering that for the price, I was the only bid at less than £20 (!), I just ended up with it.

TBH, I get alot of pleasure just touching it & playing with it - you know, extending the base plate, flipping it over, operating the screw extender etc. Maybe I'm just weird LOL

You're weird, mate, but you're among good company ... we're all weird :D

It is indeed a lovely piece of engineering and utterly fascinating to just play with. I'm after a slightly older one, a Pall Mall, which just take the GEM blades quite happily.

StephenShave said:
extending the base plate, flipping it over, operating the screw extender etc.

With all those mechanical add-ons no wonder the head looks so agricultural! I'm sure you could plow a field with it.

Back
Top Bottom