Original Testers Wanted

Leon has been in touch again wondering if the interest in the original TSR Custom Brush could be revived

i was the first to get the prototype and liked it but it seems as it got broken in it went floppy :oops:

i have it back now and will be using it for a while to see what it's like after some usage, tonight with some TOBS cream

the original idea was for a premium badger\boar mix to give a luxury 404
the majority of people interested might want something else for our very own custom brush :?

the one thing i will say is the acrylic handles look nice but can get slippy when using them, unless Semogue have some that the surface has been bead blasted or etched for grip then for me it doesn't work

this is the PM i received from Leon

Hi Neil,

Now that both the LE 2010 and the B&B custom boar is made, shipped and beginning to be enjoyed, me and Semogue have the time to resume this project.
I'm interested in reviewing the brushes specs as long as there's enough interest among the forum community. I understand that the first prototype was too floppy, but a prototype is just that - a prototype, not a final product.
The LE 2010 was a major success, one of the very best silvertip brushes made. The B&B custom boar was also a success, a true little face lathering machine. Having made these 2 projects gave us some "momentum" to dive into new projects.
Please talk to the other interested gents, so we can rethink this brush and resume this project, again, IF there's enough interest, of course.

Best regards

Bruno

so can the Original Testers post there thoughts here ,even if they aren't interested anymore, so it gives others an insight into their views
as Bruno says it was a prototype so i wonder if they've tried different versions with more success :cool:

Here's my personal view. I don't like compromise. Any design of a brush by a significant number of people involves a compromise in choice of hair, dimensions, handle design and material. And perhaps no one ends up with what they really want. I guess if someone comes up with something I really like with TSR on it, I'll probably buy it - that's the collector in me.I have not really been keen on any of the other Forum custom brushes. Our last effort faded away, and I see no reason why a new attempt will have any more success.

And I also think that initiatives like this should come from members of a forum who decide a spec then seek someone to supply it. Not from a vendor/manufacturer.

Sorry chaps.

used for tonights shave with TOBS cream

here's my take on the original problems\comments regarding floppy McFlopperson

what makes a brush floppy?

well if the knot-loft ratio is wrong, i.e. too tall = floppy or too short = stiff as buggery

knot density, obviously too little or too much would give the same results as above

hair composition, boar = stiff, super-duper mountain silvertip = kiss your face soft

so your looking at a few areas to get a good workable brush and there is no way i can pass any kind of expertise in this matter onto a brush manufacturer like Sr Gomes

i didn't find it floppy at all, it did splay like my Shavemac 167 - 23mm Silvertip
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shavemac.com/shop/products/Shaving-Brushes/Traditional-Lines/Shaving-Brush-SB1-167.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.shavemac.com/shop/products/S ... 1-167.html</a><!-- m -->
which got me thinking :?

if it's used like a boar (it's a badger\boar mix) and pressed harder against your face it'll splay
use it like you would a high quality badger and it works brilliantly
it's densely packed as well , if anything slightly too much
nit-picking or what :roll:

Leon will have the original dimensions
what would i change..mmm well that's the $64,000 question
handle = good
size = good
the ONLY thing i would like is a 'little' more backbone
if that is achieved with a little tinker with the knot\loft ratio or more boar hair in the knot it'd be a damn fine brush
personally i'd go with more boar as a first step in testing as i think the loft ratio is near enough spot on

sorry for the long post lads, i'm typing as i'm thinking
not easy for me :lol:

Fido said:
Here's my personal view. I don't like compromise. Any design of a brush by a significant number of people involves a compromise in choice of hair, dimensions, handle design and material. And perhaps no one ends up with what they really want. I guess if someone comes up with something I really like with TSR on it, I'll probably buy it - that's the collector in me.I have not really been keen on any of the other Forum custom brushes. Our last effort faded away, and I see no reason why a new attempt will have any more success.

And I also think that initiatives like this should come from members of a forum who decide a spec then seek someone to supply it. Not from a vendor/manufacturer.

Sorry chaps.

Even though the NF Brushes are the unoffical brush of the forum If Peter was to have one of his brushes with a TSR logo or similar. Oh if only :hungrig :shave :D

I refer you to my original assessment and recommendation on the TSR brush thread pages 13 & 15 that's if you kept the original knot composition.

I would always be willing to help, can compare to the amazing NF 2201 im using :D

(not sure if i mis read and this is already out if so ignore me)

Hi gents,

hando said:
the ONLY thing i would like is a 'little' more backbone
if that is achieved with a little tinker with the knot\loft ratio or more boar hair in the knot it'd be a damn fine brush
personally i'd go with more boar as a first step in testing as i think the loft ratio is near enough spot on

I think the majority of people would use this to face lather, given the remarks of the amount of splay it showed, I think we need a shorter loft. 50mm at most, like the custom boar brush I made a couple of months ago for the B&B forum.

Fido said:
Here's my personal view. I don't like compromise. Any design of a brush by a significant number of people involves a compromise in choice of hair, dimensions, handle design and material. And perhaps no one ends up with what they really want.

Hi Peter, it's always hard to please everyone. Of course this brush is not perfect for everyone, since every gentleman has his own distinct preferences. The difficulty here is to find the specs that will please most people, that's what I've been doing for the past few years and we always reach a common ground.
Just a side note regarding your last sentence. I don't want you to think that I'm pushing anything, I'd like to remind that originally I was contacted by the mods of the forum in order to start planning this project, not the other way around.

Pig Cat said:
If I recall correctly I was very keen on the brush. Well, the knot anyway. The handle was slippy but it sounds like that has been taken on board.

So, we need a handle with more grip. Is there any Semogue brush that has a handle that you think can have more grip? It will be relatively easy to make a handle based on a existing mold. Having a totally new handle made will be impossible, given the high costs of creating new molds and having a high minimum quantity required.
What we did at B&B was reuse an existing handle, but with a different color, making the minimum quantity low and saving some money.

So, in resume:

Knot: badger/boar mix, 50mm tall, 22mm diameter
Handle: something with "grip", and short handle to match the short knot

Judging by the way this panned out last time, I have to agree with Fido. If one of our brush experts were to to come up with a specification for the hairy bit (diameter, loft, material etc), then we could all bat about ideas for the handle, and at least be assured that the brush would work in the end.

I´m in as long it doesn´t go crazy price wise. I would love a silvertip though, like the LE recently but fan shaped and maybe a couple of mm shorter loft. However I´m prob rather lonely re that, so a boar/badger mix it is :D

Back
Top Bottom