Photo of the day

Which rock is this?

Paul.
To preempt the answer - it's Dumbarton castle. On the other side of it is the river Clyde. It is a basalt plug - the remains of a volcano. It has been strategically important since the iron age - if not longer, as it dominates the surrounding landscape. If you look at the right hand side - the overhanging wall provides some of the hardest rock climbing routes in the country. I spent many a happy hour there in my youth - mostly falling off it. :) - I.

To preempt the answer - it's Dumbarton castle. On the other side of it is the river Clyde. It is a basalt plug - the remains of a volcano. It has been strategically important since the iron age - if not longer, as it dominates the surrounding landscape. If you look at the right hand side - the overhanging wall provides some of the hardest rock climbing routes in the country. I spent many a happy hour there in my youth - mostly falling off it. :) - I.
Thank you Iain, it looks like an impressive chunk of rock and I should imagine it was great fun climbing it, not so much falling off it!

Paul

Potd-31-07-21-02.jpg

Potd-31-07-21-01.jpg

#talesofgovanhill
Yes - I love my barrio - the afternoon spent with an old friend - seriously good coffee - the best I have had outside Spain. The Transylvanian cafe - I'm not joking - it is run by guys from Romania. If you happen to pitch up there - under no circumstances - ask them if they sell blood. They got bored of that some time ago. Transylvania - do you know what that means? From the Latin root - the land beyond the forest/trees. Grand - their deli is awesome too - I got some aubergines in tomato sauce, reminded me of the best Turkish meze. If you know where to look - you can see my flat. Yours - I.

@Blademonkey

edit - I took this picture and thought of you. @Satanfriendly

Last edited:
View attachment 74603

View attachment 74604

#talesofgovanhill
Yes - I love my barrio - the afternoon spent with an old friend - seriously good coffee - the best I have had outside Spain. The Transylvanian cafe - I'm not joking - it is run by guys from Romania. If you happen to pitch up there - under no circumstances - ask them if they sell blood. They got bored of that some time ago. Transylvania - do you know what that means? From the Latin root - the land beyond the forest/trees. Grand - their deli is awesome too - I got some aubergines in tomato sauce, reminded me of the best Turkish meze. If you know where to look - you can see my flat. Yours - I.

@Blademonkey

edit - I took this picture and thought of you. @Satanfriendly
Great photo. Above the internet cafe?
Or to the left. :).

Paul.

Potd-01-08-21.jpg

#talesofindia

Manikaran - the Kullu valley. Saffron farmers and their kids. It was pissing down. Being Scottish - I am familiar with rain - but in the Himalaya it is different - stair rods. I bought roughly half a pound of the stuff for about three quid? We were both happy with the transaction. That's a very zen lifestyle - harvesting the stamen of wild crocus? You can't make a decent paella without it. Low res scan. Nikon FM2 - and proper film.

I.

@Blademonkey

View attachment 74620

#talesofindia

Manikaran - the Kullu valley. Saffron farmers and their kids. It was pissing down. Being Scottish - I am familiar with rain - but in the Himalaya it is different - stair rods. I bought roughly half a pound of the stuff for about three quid? We were both happy with the transaction. That's a very zen lifestyle - harvesting the stamen of wild crocus? You can't make a decent paella without it. Low res scan. Nikon FM2 - and proper film.

I.

@Blademonkey
Great photo and a great deal on the saffron!

Paul.

Potd-01-08-21-04.jpg

Potd-01-08-21-03.jpg

#talesofmadrid

You go work out how the second image was taken. No post production other than auto-levels in Photoshop. It isn't a reflection. A gift from the Leica god. Fair enough - when you pay a grand for a 50mm - it needs to be special. To be honest the 50mm is a pig to use with a M series rangefinder - due to the brackets the view finder brings up - the camera is really designed to be used with a 35mm. Which are even more expensive! :) Leica and film. I.

@Blademonkey

Last edited:
View attachment 74640

View attachment 74641

#talesofmadrid

You go work out how the second image was taken. No post production other than auto-levels in Photoshop. It isn't a reflection. A gift from the Leica god. Fair enough - when you pay a grand for a 50mm - it needs to be special. To be honest the 50mm is a pig to use with a M series rangefinder - due to the brackets the view finder brings up - the camera is really designed to be used with a 35mm. Which are even more expensive! :) Leica and film. I.

@Blademonkey
Was you on a train when this photo was taken?

Paul.

Last edited:
View attachment 74640

View attachment 74641

#talesofmadrid

@Blademonkey
I suspect an automatic glass door? Either just opening or just closing. The distortion being either the door moving or the glass vibrating.

A cracking capture @Digimonkey

Back
Top Bottom