Pre-Shave Wash Important

I've read all of the above posts and find them all genuinely interesting, but I think that this is why I gave up chasing the holy grail of the perfect shave. Perhaps I am missing out! But, there is so much paraphernalia and preparative treatments to perform AND that is before one decides upon the perfect razor and razor blade. This post and another has introduced me to the intriguing world of soaps, but before this I genuinely thought that the idea of washings one's face before shaving was so that the razor could actually gain some purchase on the beard in order to cut it off. Admittedly, I tried a DE SR for around six months before returning to a cartridge based system, as I prefer to shave every day and there is no way I could find either the time or inclination for a full DE experience on a day by day basis. In saying all of this, I will definitely, explore some of the soaps mentioned within both posts before (perhaps) ditching my Pears Soap, which has done the trick for me for many years; Pears Soap; wash off and pat dry; Gillette Sensitive Gel (hand applied) and in with the Cartridge Razor (Gillette Sensor, when available); usually one pass (unless it needs to be really special). I can hear a combined gasp, right now; but absolutely no offence intended!
I totally understand where your coming from and for me it's ended up more of a hobby and and enjoyment of shaving as i hated it for 50 years.
There's an argument to say you can shave everyday with a DE and your possibly doing more damage to your skin by running 3/5 blunt ish blades across your face at the one time however the beauty of shaving is you do exactly what you like and if it works for you then fair play to you.
Think i'll go order myself a nice packet of & £3.50 blades lol

Hello Mike, I really like the idea of DE shaving, especially the cost of the blades and the benefits to the environment, but I just couldn't do it quick enough and was always cutting myself to shreds (probably due to choice of materials/consumables, technique, razor, blades and speed of shave). The cartridges I currently purchase are around £2.50 for eight; but I really like the original Gillette Sensor Blades (not the Excel), which are now very difficult (expensive) to obtain, unless of course you find yourself to be in India, where I believe that they are still available. I agree with your opening sentence above, insofar as I believe that most DE shavers are indeed enthusiasts and see it as a hobby, rather than an every day ablution exercise, that just has to be carried out as quickly as possible. Happy shaving!

I shave as quick with a DE or a multi blade razor, because I spent as much time clearing the hair and soap from between the blades of a multi. Also DE gives me far better shaves without irritation.

I shave as quick with a DE or a multi blade razor, because I spent as much time clearing the hair and soap from between the blades of a multi. Also DE gives me far better shaves without irritation.
i'll be honest i shaved with cartridge all my life up until i discovered DE but iv never once cleaned between the blades, i just gave it a quick bang on the sink and if that didn't work i kept banging it until it did lol. seriously though in general DE shaving does take longer but it's the time i enjoy

Modern carts do not clog. I am currently using a pack of Gillette Sensor 3's, probably on shave 7 or 8. It looks like new. I reduce my growth with a first pass shave with a Schick injector. Try a Personna GT5 or Caliber 5 and try and clog them?

Modern carts do not clog. I am currently using a pack of Gillette Sensor 3's, probably on shave 7 or 8. It looks like new. I reduce my growth with a first pass shave with a Schick injector. Try a Personna GT5 or Caliber 5 and try and clog them?
I'll take your word for it mate but my cartridge days are well and truly over, But good luck with them, obviously there's nothing wrong with cartridge razors it's all just a personal choice

A good face wash using Aleppo soap or just an olive oil soap will prepare my skin ready for shaving, that's how we did it in the army so I see no need to be changing my routine now, not only do I believe I get a better shave because of my freshly cleaned and hydrated skin and beard I also think my blades last longer because they are not having to mow throuhgh dirt and dead skin cells. :) P.

Last edited:
I think it helps for sure. I have also invested in some Clinique recently as John Lewis had a rather unusual 75% off sale.

Face Wash
Moisturisers
Exfoliating Tonic

I certainly think it helps and has helped a few areas where I get dry skin.

I wash my face with soap and water pre-shave (if i haven't just stepped out of the shower) and i think it helps a little. FWIW, i try to use a natural soap if possible - currently using some Johnsons Baby Honey soap my wife gave me a bar of , which seems good.

More important, i believe, is to put plenty of water on your face just before lathering up, as i find otherwise the later can hit a dry, or drying, face and the water gets drained out of it a little, leaving it a little concentrated and draggy.

The thing i have come to learn, for me anyway, is that my facial skin can "drink" quite a lot of water - i find quite a difference post-shave if i wet my face and chin every ten minutes or so - it really helps settle everything down much quicker

Back
Top Bottom