Razor Brands To Avoid

Hi All

Okay so at the moment I am having great fun and practice with my 2 shavette razors and my one DE razor. I have binned the cheap cut throats that I got off of eBay.

Here's me question though. Could I get a half decent one, that would take an edge, for £50-£60

Any ideas

Big John

YES!

Have a look in the BST mate, there are a few nice razors in there right now that are waiting to drink your blood. Although they are not new they will be shave ready and the sellers involved wouldn't sell shite. well worth a look imo

I got one of those artamis razors as a best man gift.

Out of the box the edge was useless. I've never shaved with a straight razor before, I do sharpen my knives up with a slate wet stone to the point of been able to shave with them so I have a rough edge idea.

Anyway I re honed it on a vintage razor hone I use for my kitchenware I suspect it's about 5K. Then honed it on a green stainless polish on a glass block, Before stropping with a little more of the green stainless polish.

The edge has actually come up pretty well. It's not an easy steel to sharpen I suspect it's high carbon steel or a monkey metal mixture, It has chinese stamps on the inside of the scales. It does however seem to be holding an edge, and the point definitely has a ring to it.

The first shave I had (single direction) with it I got 1 tiny cut just under my nose, Second time (2 directions on face) no cuts at all. I'm up to shave number 8 with it and still no problems, Just doing a glass block strop before each shave on the green paste. The next shave I have I'm going to attempt a full 3 way shave on the face. I'm not brave enough to do that on my neck yet!

The flesh was weak. Went for the 10$ Gold Dollar. Honed and stropped it tonite. Will be trying it in the morning! Will let you know what happens. (I hope-)
(10$ included postage)

Johnus said:
The flesh was weak. Went for the 10$ Gold Dollar. Honed and stropped it tonite. Will be trying it in the morning! Will let you know what happens. (I hope-)
(10$ included postage)

Which model was the $10 gold dollar? 100? 200? I think 208 is a little more expensive again.

Did you need to grind down anything off the shoulder or heel before you could hone it?

I have the 66 and the 208. Bought the 208 because I thought the scales would be nicer. (Design ok quality???).
Both needed honing, didn't grind anything. Think I like the 66 better.

Wish I had found this site sooner! I bought a cheap razor from Amazon (£26), stropped it up and it made my face look like I had lost a fight against a cheese grater! A mate, and fellow member, mentioned this site and hey presto, the thing has gone in the bin and I am awaiting the arrival of my new Dovo! The moral here is clearly "buy nice or buy twice!"

Alas i found this site too late and have recently bought a rubbish Enzo England razor but on the other hand the honing stone is not too bad. Time to look at Dovo and Boker I think. Glad i found you guys.

First time here, I am looking into buying my first straight razor... thanks for this post it will help alot and stop me getting scammed, very informative...

Thank you for this most useful guide, Neil!

As someone (new to this forum) and in search of my first straight edge, this has been an invaluable help.
My son - bless him - knowing that I was wanting to buy my first (real) straight razor (I've had a Dovo Shavette for some years now) ordered me one online - made by 'Men Rock': to be frank, I would have got a better shave by putting milk on my face and letting the dog lick it off! Perhaps another one for the list? (I should add that - though I'm no expert at the process - said razor was honed and stropped very thoroughly before I tried shaving with it) :-/

What might be fun is a Summer Razor Contest. Were we pick an Avoided Brand and see if we could make it usable by Autumn.
We send the razor to one of the In-House experts and they select the winner. A Silk Purse From A Sows Ear Contest.
Ok you're right just don't have enough to do this morning! Off to the kitchen!

I suspect there is not the depth of knowledge to start a definitive list - and if it's not definitive then it's lacking through omission.

Basically, most old brands whether British, German, Swedish, French or USA, will be acceptable quality - although any used razor may have quality problems stemming from original manufacturing or mis-use by previous owners. The list of brands to avoid was started as a way of advising brand names used by manufacturers in emerging countries who use sub standard material and where the grinding is poor.

The US forum Straight Razor Place has a database of manufacturers and models - it's about as comprehensive as you will find becuase it is a collective effort by the razor owners.