Soaps For 'Traditional' Scuttles

Hi all, I bought an old fashioned C&E scuttle off ebay recently, similar to this:

$(KGrHqNHJE4FCbLWo+,9BQuhC6IJ+w~~60_35.JPG

It's a nice looking object and I had a Neale's Yard soap puck that fits it quite nicely, so I'm using it on a daily basis. Sadly this particular soap is what is referred to in the trade as a load of old rubbish. It smells nice and is quite slippy but the lather is thin and brittle and tends to disappear midway during the shave.

As such, I'm looking to get something to replace it that is appropriately sized for use in a scuttle and I thought I would look to the wisdom of the forum for suggestions of suitable alternatives. I believe that C&E themselves have given up on the small sized pucks but there must be alternatives out there?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Also - I'd be interested to know if anyone else uses an old fashioned scuttle on a regular basis?

Vulfix do a small soap puck, I think for a scuttle. They have their own scuttles as well so I assume they are made for this. The soaps are undar accessories on their site.

Thanks both - I'd seen the Vulfix ones but was a bit unsure of the scent. I'd quite like something fragrant. The TOBS one might well fit the bill, but I'll see if it can be had for less than £8.

The pasha a one is a cracking find and might be worth a go. I'll have a see if I can find any recommendations. Along similar lines I've also spotted Godrej do small shaving rounds that might have some legs.

Don't suppose any of the artisan suppliers do suitable sized pucks?

Edwin Jagger soap pucks look like they would fit nicely to that scuttle. I would classify them as average compared to such things as Tabac, MWF or Mike's, but by no means bad.

Have you looked into a glycerine based soap which you could melt into your scuttle to fit ? Cover the drain holes with some duct/electrician tape on the underside if doing this, then remove the tape when done.

Or alternatively, with tallow based soaps, grating a puck or stick into the available space and mashing it to a fit ? That should work too - or trim a puck with a knife (you can grate the odds and ends into it as you use up the trimmed puck, and again mash them in)

I suppose that if you like Arko then with it being so soft you could mold it into the required shape fairly easily. Nanny's soaps are of a soft and easily moldable consistency with lovely fragrances so they could easily be trimmed, etc. They would get my vote in this instance.

The type of scuttle that you pictured was also used in conjunction with a lathering bowl. The brush would soak in the spout and the initial lather would be taken up off the soap. (That's why there are holes so the water would run back)
The bush with the lather would then go to the bowl or mug where it would be finished into a usable lather.

Or if you weren't 'Lace' you would do the whole thing in the kitchen with the kettle on the stove, soap in the mug, and just pour a wee bit of really hot water on to the soap. The mug was used for the handle so you didn't burn yourself taking it over to the wall mirror.

I had a go with Nanny's, but it's a bit too soft - lathering in-situ results in the soap being pressed through the holes in the bottom. The net effect is basically the inverse of this:

20080421-April%202008%20094%20(Custom).JPG

The TOBS soap you pointed me to is on sale without the pot at NKDMan, so I shall be putting some custom their way shortly. Apparently it's a lavender scent which should suit me well enough.

Coler - equally good suggestions. I've got a stick of Valobra that I've been wanting to try and I'll give that a go. Half a stick should fit in quite nicely and if I bugger it up I'll still have a usable half stick remaining.

And finally - thanks for the info Johnus. In reality, it's a nice display piece but I want it to be as functional as possible. After I've finished the shave the spout becomes a handy razor holder. My wife has been complaining about my shaving taking over all the free space in the bathroom, so this is an effort to start to tidy the area.

Cheers - it seems like there is quite a bit to choose from once you know where to look. The cheapskate in me balks at the idea of paying much more than a fiver for such a tiny puck, though.

Back
Top Bottom