SOTD: Saturday 14 - Friday 20 September 2024.

https://giphy.com/OQddnbqieYKMpdx2fI
'Single to TSR Central please'

https://giphy.com/xGN4ZVtaOpxYdx59wg
'That will do nicely thank you. I'll get off here at SOTD and I've brought a few friends along'

Parte uno

Why, hello chaps and how the hell are we doing? Well, I've been stuck on this damn bus for the past four days and totally unable to bring you my last four days of my shaving escapades. To which if course I apologise profoundly.

Actually I just lie a lot and the reality is I've taken lots of photos and just too bloody idle to bother writing anything. Not as though anyone missed me anyway. Except those with no taste.

So here we are day four in to a 'new week' of SOTD's and some up-catching to be done. Similar to up-cycling but nothing worth while arrives at the other end. But it is a legal term for bringing things up to date.

Pre amble out of the way and time to dive head first in to some pointless writing with some shaves themed, 'Up-shaving'

Saturday

Up-razoring - Ikon B1
Up-blading - Polsilver Lodz
Up-brushing - Hive
Up-soaping - Signature Wicstun
Up-moisturising - Nivea for men
Up-scenting - CK Obsession
Up-yourbottomsatan

There will be no further Giphis or videos at this point otherwise there is a good chance I may exceed my media allowance. And I can't do that or I will be forced in to having to excuse myself with even more trash then I already inflict.

One bloody fantastic shave and happiness filled the shower room

Sunday

Up your bum razor - Stainless Mongoose
Up your bum blade - Kai Titan mild
Up your bum brush - Highlander Marine AFC
Up your bum soap - Kent
Up your bum balm - L'Occitane Cade
Up your bum perfume - Versace Dreamer

Kent and the Goose? Perfection prevailed

Monday

Uphill - 3ONE6
Uprising - Feather
Uplifting - Zenith dark synthetic
Upbringing - Penhaligons Bayolea
Upside - Oil of Ulay
Upheaval - M&S Spiced Amber
Up-yourbottomsatan

A nice return to the 3ONE6 and I forgot what super little razor it is. A razor for folk at all levels of shaving

Tuesday

Upto date - Tatara Nodachi
Upto you - Gillette Silver Blue
Upto no good - Highlander LFC
Upto luck - Officina Artigiana
Upto me - Collagen
Upto mischief - Hermes terre d'hermes
Up-yourbottomsatan

A most welcome afternoon Shave after a 58Km bike rode and getting through one third of the way around the world. 13372Km

But other than being able to ride a bike I am pretty crap

But I love you all

Parte dos

Since I am restricted by the media police while @Johnny Bravo gets away with giphy murder, I have had to split my SOTD in to two parts so that you can get your dose of Japanese girls. After all what is a shave without some ladies from the land of the rising sun?

So by popular request a little medley of some pretty Japanese girlies hammering out some pretty damn fine tunes

Except this one because she's just out of her tree.

17/9/24

Soap - Canada Shaving Soap
Brush - Yaqi Cashmere 22mm
Razor/Blade #1 - Ever Ready 1912/GEM
Razor/Blade #2 - Gillette Tech/Gillette Silver Blue
AS - Wars Active Fresh

Five days worth of growth so I needed to get out the 1912 to hack down the growth on the first pass, and a Tech for the second pass. My face was gloriously smooth at the end of the shave. I was a little underwhelmed by the Canada Shaving Soap for the first few uses, but I think it works better when the lather is a hydrated a little more than I would usually have, it works beautifully then.

SEptember

Tuesday 17th September

Seifen Klar Kabinett (Vintage) Shaving Soap & Macy Associates w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre 21mm
GEM Bullet Tip & GEM by Personna (7)
Pinaud Clubman Musk After Shave Cologne

Same setup ... but ignore the soap in the picture because I subbed it out for a wonderful gift of vintage Klar Kabinett that @NotTheStig sent me and I was itching to use it. What a gift! What a wonderful soap! One that I didn't get to try when it was all the rage a decade ago and have not bothered with one of the (arguably inferior) reformulations since. It is not lost on me what a prize this soap is and my gratitude is immeasurable.

In use, it loaded and lathered perfectly with the Silvertip Fibre bringing up that double cream thickness so akin to the legendary Martin de Candre. Subtle rose scent in there, not dark but certainly not light and girly. Powdery, too, which the Pinaud Musk picked up on very nicely.

Lovely! While I'll be back to the Sandlewood tomorrow, this soap is going to see a damn sight more outings and might even get a dedicated month. Thanks again Carl.

I was a little underwhelmed by the Canada Shaving Soap for the first few uses, but I think it works better when the lather is a hydrated a little more than I would usually have, it works beautifully then.

Formulation reads a lot like MDC (presumably an intentional clone?). Hydrating is absolutely the right thing to do. Glad you're getting it dialled in.

I never got on with the Astra Superior Platinum either, but did try a far more recent box of Russian-made quite recently (the ones with the razor blade symbol and 5 on the front) and the difference was night and day! I pulled an old one just to make sure and ... yes, they've improved dramatically and I really rather liked 'em! In terms of smoothness over acceptable sharpness, very much akin to the Treet Platinum which I hold in high esteem.

... just in time for production to move to India and I am very sure that blade is the same as the Gillette 7 O'Clock (Black) Super Platinum or the Gillette Winner Superior Platinum (if there is a difference, but I believe it's the same as the 7 O'Clock as well).

Anyway, as you say ... when you have a razor that just seems to work, that's the razor you can't put a bad blade into. I feel much the same with the Lord L5 (the Tech clone) which for me performs sooooo much above its humble price point and dare I say it (hushed) better than the Gillette Tech! The later ones, anyway. It's not "just another Sterling", that's for sure.

Formulation reads a lot like MDC (presumably an intentional clone?). Hydrating is absolutely the right thing to do. Glad you're getting it dialled in.

Yes it's a Canadian MdC clone. It can be built to be a thick tallow MWF lather but it works better when the lather is a bit looser on the razor. I really should revisit MdC too again.

According to reviews I expected it to be more aggressive but it's not. Fourth shave with it this morning, zero feedback from the aftershave and BBS finish.

I had some from the sampler that @Lose the beard was selling on here. I got that in 2015 but they could be even older. that could be why they're so highly regarded when I find them rough. I've read a similar thing about the Derby extra getting sharper after 2016. I'll get some newer packs of both to try eventually but I should just use the other Derbys and Gillettes if they're similar anyway and I might be biased now.

I used the same blade again today and did an extra pass and it still wasn't great but not as bad as the fresh blade.

edit: my other pack of astras says 2019 so I'll give them a try at some point.

techs also just work so well for me so I'll be sure to get an L5 if it performs that well. I didn't find any in the wild in Egypt, only L7s.

I found the sterling too rough and binned it but that could have been that specific one due to Indian QC. I really like the super blue tech head with a better handle though. less blade gap than the sterling and feels similar to the 70s spiral tech I have. it's another great modern, currently produced razor head and like the Lord, it's only £5.

Last edited:
18/09/24
Signature SEptember
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap Fig and Jasmine
Brush - Vintage Culmak Junior - 21mm Silvertip
Soap - Signature Soap Leodis
Razor - Schick Hydro-magic 500 J3 1959 - 62
Blade - Personna Injector
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Kilbreck - Neroli, Rosemary & Jasmine
A/S - Mäurer & Wirtz 4711 Rose

A lovely shave today using this Vintage "Golden Girl".
The little re-knotted Culmak whipping up the expected fantastic lather from one of my favourite Signature soap offerings.
3 passes for a very nice, comfortable BBS finish.
Enjoy your day all.

"Bond" Gillette Slim set to #6
Dorco stainless ST301 (Men Advance white label), 3rd use.
Omega Ovangkol wood boar brush.
Tabac tallow soap
Tabac EdC and bio oil

An excellent result in 2 passes and a tidy up.

I have to say that this Sainsbury's branded Dorco is really an excellent blade!

I also decided to give my boars a good wash after reading the old thread embedded in the "favourite brush" poll thread.

Last edited: