SOTD: Saturday 5 - Friday 11 October 2024.

11 October

Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Simpson Duke 3
ESC Claymore Evolution
Feather Professional
Village Barber balm

A very fine shave with a heavy weight razor that makes light work of a two pass shave. A smooth and comfortable shave with so little effort it’s almost embarrassing. Likewise with the Fat these days, too easy. Some days you don’t need a challenge first thing in the morning, and it looks like being a lovely day.

11/10/24
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap Fig and Jasmine
Brush - AP Shave Co UBrush 24mm Silvertip Synth
Soap - OSP Neroli
Razor - Lambda Athena
Blade - Gillette 7 o' Clock Yellow
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Kilbreck - Neroli, Rosemary & Jasmine
A/S - OSP Neroli

I boiled the kettle for todays shave, much nicer on the face, although i have to say my skin seems to really like cold water shaving.
Its always feels like a privilege to shave with the Athena, today paired with one of my favourite scents and soaps i was in heaven.
A couple of updates:-
1. New boiler to be fitted next week,
and the more intriguing
2. An email arrived from Blackland "ATT" today with news of a new razor, no more details but they do seem to be well on the way with development.

"Above the Tie
Personna Lab Blue

Heads up, this is purely a tease to get you excited and there aren't any actual details here. It's basically a shameless sales tactic. I won't be offended if you skip this one.

The first Above the Tie razor is in full production here at HQ and the brand will be relaunched this year! Since I can't tell you exactly what the first razor is, I'll talk a bit about the recent developments with ATT and where things stand. We acquired ATT a year ago and I thought we'd have it up and running in Q1 of 2024. I thought it would be pretty simple.

But as we dug into the project, we realized that we wanted to go deeper with the brand than expected. It deserved a full top-to-bottom fresh. New branding, fresh website, product enhancements, etc. And then we acquired a machine shop which changed everything. With the power to produce parts however we want, we decided that rather than copy/paste the original designs, we've gone back to the drawing board to update, modernize, and improve them. It's been slow, but it's 100% the right way to ensure an unbelievable product.

The first refreshed ATT razor is coming this year in stainless steel and, for the first time ever, there will be a titanium Above the Tie razor. Tyler and I have put a lot of love, effort, time, and money into this brand and razor and we're excited to share it with you in a few short weeks. Please sign up for the ATT newsletter so you'll be the first to know when we launch!"

ATT is open for subscription for updates.

Enjoy your day all.

Take Care of yourself...

Razor - Rockwell 6S R3
Blade - Gillette SharpEdge
Brush - Muhle Medium Silvertip
Lather - Stirling barbershop

Hard to go wrong with this kit.

My new brush is everything I expected. It’s about the same size as my Simpsons M6 but splays out a tiny bit more. As well as the performance, I’m also able to keep an easy hold on the damn thing with my gnarly hands. Whipped up a decent lather in no time.

I love the powder scent of the Barbershop soap. It reminds me of when I used to go to an Italian barber many years ago. He’d always finish the back of my neck with a straight razor and then puff some powder over it from a rubber bulb. The lino behind the barber’s chair was worn through to the floorboards… he’d stood in that spot for decades. One day I got there and the shop was all shut up. There was a note in the window that he’d retired and gone back to Italy. I hope the old guy is still going and thriving on that Mediterranean lifestyle.

I've had this cream for years and years and barely used it. A Terre d'Hermes clone and a very good scent and performance.

Not much left of the Dunhill but I need to use up some of my stuff. I have two EDT sprays of this as well; I believe it's discontinued.

The Silvermax shaved quite similarly to yesterday's American Razor Blade. An OK result in the end, again with a not great result on the neck.

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Silvermax Cyro Platinum
Brush: Henkverhaar (TSR) badger brush Walnut Silvertip
Lather: Founders Reserve Cedarwood and Clarysage
Aftershave: Dunhill Dunhill for Men

Razor = Occam’s Oren ***
Blade = Feather Pro Guard ( 3 )
Brush = Unknown Vintage Lucite 22mm Boti Boar
Cream = Tobs Eton College Collection
with matching splash.
Balm = Executive Shaving Fragrance Free.

British Shaving Soap Shave 3:

I know i keep saying it but again what a shave 10/10.
I was all up for OC October but my skin just wasn’t up for it but it’s getting back to normal or whatever normal is.
This cream is my ultimate favourite Tobs.
it’s just everything you want a cream or soap to be & the citrus scent is top drawer.
I only used the Oren through laziness it was sitting winking at me on the window sill so i thought why not,
Infact i might just keep using it until the blades done.
Again a lovely vintage brush i received recently from @gile and again it’s a joy to use.
I think it’s made from Lucite but not 100%
maybe you lads can keep me right.

My OCtober Shave today consisted of...
Brush Cadman Cashmere.
Soap Palmolive shaving stick.
Razor 7'Oclock OC.
Blade Nacet (2).
Aftershave Boots Freshwood.

Finally another OCtober shave managed, sorry I have been slacking.
I made a much better lather tonight with the Palmolive, I can see how this makes an excellent travel soap.
I did a two pass shave with some touchups and now nice and smooth with the 7'Oclock.
I forgot just how mild this razor feels considering it's an OC but feels just like a mild solid bar.
It's a great razor and worthy of a place in my den.
Enjoy the evening everyone.

Open combs aren't more aggressive than solid bar razors, they're just a different style of safety guard.