SOTD: Saturday 5 - Friday 11 October 2024.

07/10/24
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap Fig and Jasmine
Brush - DS Cosmetics synth
Soap - OSP Spirits
Razor - Blackland Sabre V2 - L2
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Kilbreck - Neroli, Rosemary & Jasmine
A/S - Dior Sauvage

The second shave on this blade was a lot smoother than the 1st. The L2 is a nice plate to use for me. Very comfortable with enough efficiency to have me BBS in 2 passes.
All in all a very nice shave.
Enjoy your day all.

Last edited:
Bit of a random choice today, just dug out some stuff i hadn't used for a while just because.
The Proraso green preshave has been kicking around for years in my cupboard so i was just glad to finish it today. It smells like Vick's which is no bad thing, i just ignored it because i don't think it adds to the shave particularly, but i wanted it gone.

The Palmolive cream is of course very good and super cheap. I favour soaps over creams, for no particular reason, so again, I wanted to move fractionally closer to finishing it, but it is good, don't think I'm saying otherwise. You could argue that with the cream, I didn't even need a brush.

This cherry Semogue owner's club boar is frustrating. I wanted to love it, and many do. I just find that no matter how often i clean it, it sucks the life out of any lather. So I neglect it on the shelf, but keep giving it another go every time i think I've used all my other brushes a lot.

The Hawk V3A gets a lot of use, it's not in my "not been used for a while" category, it's here because I'm halfway through a blade in it. Lost count how many shaves on this Kai Pink, I'm guessing about 5, still providing a close and comfortable shave.

The Baxter balm was bought when it was silly cheap on Amazon. It's a nice balm, glad i got it, but it leaves a thin layer when it dries that i find slightly odd. As such, I wouldn't pay normal asking price for it but glad I tried it. Needs using up.

The MSC Night on the Town splash i really like. It's almost a balm in itself and has a strong, long-lasting pleasant scent. I keep forgetting to use it as I've got loads of AS sprays and EdCs that i tend to reach for, so i thought I'd give it a go in my random assortment shave today.

Never in forum history has so much inconsequential waffle been typed about an unremarkable yet perfectly good shave. Well done and sorry if you've read all this! I think it's more indicative of my mood than any product.

Here's a picture to make this marginally more interesting.

The pre-shave oil didn't seem to affect the lather of the soap. I massaged the oil into the skin fully before starting the shave.
A close and comfortable result.
The Fasan is in my top five razors for sure although I tend to use it on a metal handle.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Fasan Slant
Blade: Supermax Blue Diamond
Brush: Henkverhaar (TSR) badger brush Walnut Silvertip
Pre-Shave: Wahl Pre-shave oil
Lather: (SAMPLE) Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
Additional Care:
Proraso Pre and post Balm

Makes perfect sense to me and an interesting read.
I have been switching things round a little lately and may dig out my Palmolive cream this week.

I also prefer soaps over creams but struggle to justify why; all the creams I have require a brush so it's not for lathering enjoyment that I prefer my soaps.
One weak argument from experience is if you have an old tube that you've scrunched up a few times and gone back and forth on one crease it can split. Creams can also dry out in the tube and be a little harder to remove (heating them should see to that, though).

7 October

PAA Future Fiction
Plisson Synthetic
Blackland Blackbird
Treet Platinum
Proraso sensitive balm

PAA Future Fiction is a soap that usually has a very pleasant scent but today it smells of linseed putty (shame). It is, otherwise, an excellent soap producing a luxurious lather. The shave was really good with a very close finish thanks to the Blackbird.