stone info.

Does anybody have a clue about this stone? The only thing I know [I think?] is that it's an Arkansas Washita and that it could be what is sold as a medium honing stone [4 x 1 1/2inch]. I've never used it so I don't know what it would be like as a touch up hone. any ideas? Thanks, Adam.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 64
zig zag said:
Does anybody have a clue about this stone? The only thing I know [I think?] is that it's an Arkansas Washita and that it could be what is sold as a medium honing stone [4 x 1 1/2inch]. I've never used it so I don't know what it would be like as a touch up hone. any ideas? Thanks, Adam.

no this best with stones, but I know washitas are about 1000 so would do for bevel setting but a bit white for a washita, maybe bit more pics

Yeah bad picture. It has a speckling, like on birds eggs and it's much more grey with the speckling being blue and tan. it's not really white at all. regards, Adam.

There's washitas, and then there's washitas. Essentially they were the grade of stone which couldn't be sold as one of the better Arkansas grades, and they come in quite a variety. Generally they're quite low grit as pedro says and tend to have a few inclusions. For a while I used one as a bevel setter mostly because it's enormous and to hand, but somehow it seems to promote crumbling. It's worth playing with, but probably best as a knife hone if my experience is anything to go by.

Back
Top Bottom