Taylors of Old Bond Street shave sticks

Not found anything on thread title search here and can't recall seeing them discussed.

I used one last night with average results. It's the Sandalwood one (they don't do many flavours) and glycerin-based. No tallow I think. Got an ok lather and average protection. Used a cheap boar but will try badger tonight.

What do we think of them?

I have never used one but was interested in buying one for trave. Is it stored in plastic tube?
If so, is it twist action, or push up and will it be useful when finished, to use for Arko shave soap?

Look forward to hearing how the Badger fairs with this soap..........

Never tried it, but I'm signing in to see if there are any opinions. I thought about one as a travel stick as I like the TOBS Sandalwood cream and the stick seems to come in a plastic holder. But I've now got a Speick stick (in a Boots stick holder) and a Tabac, and I'm happy with both of these. I might still get the TOBS if enough boxes are ticked here... having 500 years supply of creams and soaps doesn't seem to deter most people on this forum so I might as well go for it!

It is in a plastic tube. The bottom twists to push up the stick. It is visibly much wider than an Arko stick; haven't measured the height though.
If you can stand the smell, and are not vegetarian, Tabac might be a better choice. But I'll try again tonight with a badger this time, perhaps not scrimp on the lather (not that I thought I did last night though...)

The sticks are near the bottom of this page: http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatalog/shaving-soaps-and-creams.html

Re-posted my second shave with it here.
Henk walnut silvertip
TOBS Sandalwood shave stick
Fatboy gold on 7, 4 with Astra Superior Platinum
Superdrug Forest Fresh a/s

Good shave. Got a better result with the stick by: applying more product to the face (much more than required of Tabac, for example); using a better brush; adding a little water to the brush at stages during lathering. Protection could be better and requires more work than Palmolive but the scent is strong and the result was good

Back
Top Bottom