Tech blade angle

As some of you might know I like my vintage gillettes and have a couple of techs in the den which I've probably used twice in 8 months. I picked my fat handled tech up the other day,lathered up and started the shave,it was a struggle I must admit and I didn't really enjoy the shave because I spent most of my time and nurves trying to find the right cutting angle :oops: :x :x

I'm yet to see another razor(maybe apart from a weishi) that has such a narrow cutting angle,am I alone on this? :?

1st pass..hold your razor straight and going lightly going downward..each stroke should be no more than 15 degrees (slightly angled)
..try this :cool:

B

It's not on a tech, bvut on an old type open comb, that Mikael was so nice as to PIF me.

That one I have nearly given up on, as you have to hit the exact angle dead on, or your face will never come clean. Most razors have like a "range" in which they function properly, but this old type just has "an angle", alternatively the "range" is very narrow.

I also have a british ball end tech, easiest shaver there is! Very mild, but easy to use.

Good thing you have other razors :shave

/Max

Oddly enough, I seem to struggle with my aluminium-handled Tech... My mate, who I got a Tech for (as his first DE razor - I won a pair of cheapies on the 'bay a while ago) loves it to bits.

Recently tried a New - that puppy needs your attention. I guess it's the foibles and differences (personality?) that make using different razors so interesting.

Or is it just me? Trouble is, now that I have - what? - eight razors to choose from, I feel disinclined to persevere with a razor that doesn't initially work for me. I do, however, get a kick when a razor just clicks immediately. Got myself a shave-quality Aristocrat recently, and that puppy GLIDES round my face - it's pure shaving joy. :D

Lipsy

I don't have a Tech, but I find my Slim very forgiving in terms of blade angle, whereas my Merkur HD seems very finicky. It either skids around on the cap with the blade not touching, or, if I increase the angle even a slight amount, it seems to dig and behave aggressively. If I really concentrate on angle, and get my lather spot-on, it gives a closer shave for the same number of passes as the Slim, but, get it wrong and it seems to like punishing me. :lol:

Long term Tech user reporting - yep, you're about right there James, I reckon. Get the angle right and they're surprisingly efficient though. In all honesty, my preference for aggressive DEs is probably down to laziness, a slipshod technique and a deplorable habit of shaving whilst drunk.

Arrowhead said:
Long term Tech user reporting - yep, you're about right there James, I reckon. Get the angle right and they're surprisingly efficient though. In all honesty, my preference for aggressive DEs is probably down to laziness, a slipshod technique and a deplorable habit of shaving whilst drunk.

Only if I could! :roll: It just spoils the joys of DE shaving when you keep trying to find the bloody angle :cry: ,I don't have this problem with my other 11 razors and in my experience flaire tip superspeed seems to have a very easy cutting angle

OK fairly new to this, but I have a 3 tech's 2 nice and heavy ball ends and a light UK travel, and to be honest the ballends are my goto razor if I'm struggling with any of the others, maybe I have the angle just right or what ever but i find them so easy, and this is coming from the person that has cut his face with every other razor I have tried :oops:

Back
Top Bottom