Tobacco and Leather Soap Suggestions for Newbie

Hi, I’d be really grateful for some recommendations for high performing tobacco / leather scented soaps. I’ve tried a few and I either love them or hate them!

Please note that this isn’t about performance - all the samples below were great, I just didn’t like the scent. It'll take me ages to keep getting samples and tring to find ones I like, so will be good to get some advice.

It seems that if a scent is too complex, synthetic smelling, unusual, too layered etc then I do not like it.

For example, I really did not like these 3 at all:
westman bonanza
wholly kaw - Cuero Oscuro
chiseled face - midnight stag

These 2 I found OK but I would not buy:
stirling british leather
phoenix and beau spitfire - borderline, on another day this could be in the do not like at all list

These are the scents i really liked a lot:
wholly kaw - project leather
maggard - tobacco and leather
wickham 1912 Russian Leather
Razorock Tuscan Oud
tobs tobacco leaf

If it helps, I also really like the smell of:
molton brown tobacco absolute
tom ford tuscan leather - even tho a bit chemically it works for me
anything like leather/tobacco mixed with bourbon

Any suggestions will be really appreciated

Hi, I’d be really grateful for some recommendations for high performing tobacco / leather scented soaps. I’ve tried a few and I either love them or hate them!

Please note that this isn’t about performance - all the samples below were great, I just didn’t like the scent. It'll take me ages to keep getting samples and tring to find ones I like, so will be good to get some advice.

It seems that if a scent is too complex, synthetic smelling, unusual, too layered etc then I do not like it.

For example, I really did not like these 3 at all:
westman bonanza
wholly kaw - Cuero Oscuro
chiseled face - midnight stag

These 2 I found OK but I would not buy:
stirling british leather
phoenix and beau spitfire - borderline, on another day this could be in the do not like at all list

These are the scents i really liked a lot:
wholly kaw - project leather
maggard - tobacco and leather
wickham 1912 Russian Leather
Razorock Tuscan Oud
tobs tobacco leaf

If it helps, I also really like the smell of:
molton brown tobacco absolute
tom ford tuscan leather - even tho a bit chemically it works for me
anything like leather/tobacco mixed with bourbon

Any suggestions will be really appreciated
I would concentrate on the fragrance's that you wear rather than the soap.
The smell from the soap will be lost by the time you've got out of the bathroom to be honest.
Just pick a soap that performs really well and is of a scent that you will find enjoyable to use while you are shaving and then put on your favourite frag ( not on your face unless it's an aftershave) and enjoy a scent that will be with you all day.
You mentioned some soaps you already liked so stick with these and find yourself a quality scent to wear.

Paul.

Agreed. Soap scent isn't there to linger for hours on the skin, same as Molton Browns Tobacco Absolute and Russian Leather Shower Gels, I use both and they smell lovely when lathered but you wash it straight back off. Soap scents are the same. Find a good soap and shave then follow with your fave Fragrance, I wouldn't get too hung up on soap scents.

I would concentrate on the fragrance's that you wear rather than the soap.
The smell from the soap will be lost by the time you've got out of the bathroom to be honest.
Just pick a soap that performs really well and is of a scent that you will find enjoyable to use while you are shaving and then put on your favourite frag ( not on your face unless it's an aftershave) and enjoy a scent that will be with you all day.
You mentioned some soaps you already liked so stick with these and find yourself a quality scent to wear.

Paul.
Agreed. Soap scent isn't there to linger for hours on the skin, same as Molton Browns Tobacco Absolute and Russian Leather Shower Gels, I use both and they smell lovely when lathered but you wash it straight back off. Soap scents are the same. Find a good soap and shave then follow with your fave Fragrance, I wouldn't get too hung up on soap scents.
Thanks a lot. Will bear that in mind. I do really enjoy the scent of the soaps when opening the tub so was hoping to find something where the smell also lingered during the shave but it makes sense that they aren’t particularly strong so better not to worry about that. So far though I have to say that maybe it’s my skin but I have found Arko at just over £1 a pop to be amazing considering the low cost. Maybe I’ll get some tobacco essential oil to make it smell they way I like!!!

TFS RazoZero ... their Sensitive reads as a sweet tobacco and is a superb formulation.

Turkish Tobacco Cologne is really nice as an aftershave ... an idea. Dead cheap, too! Another splash that you can't pass by is Pinaud Clubman's Special Reserve.

Of course, for the ultimate ... go vintage and bag some Imperial Leather. Both the shaving soap and the splash are still reasonably plentiful on the usual resources (eBay, Etsy, etc) and still carry a superb scent decades later.

Last edited:
Razrock RazoZero ... their Sensitive reads as a sweet tobacco and is a superb formulation.

Turkish Tobacco Cologne is really nice as an aftershave ... an idea. Dead cheap, too! Another splash that you can't pass by is Pinaud Clubman's Special Reserve.

Of course, for the ultimate ... go vintage and bag some Imperial Leather. Both the shaving soap and the splash are still reasonably plentiful on the usual resources (eBay, Etsy, etc) and still carry a superb scent decades later.
Thanks a lot - will get on the case picking a few of these up. Much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom