UK Cola Wars

Does anyone remember the Cola wars of the 90's?

It began when Cott of the USA developed a quality Cola formula probably based on Royal Crown Cola, before you knew it Sainsbury's, M&S, Woolworths, Superdrug, Somerfield, Safeway, Asda, BHS, Spar and Panda were all producing quality colas. In the Netherlands brands such as 3ES and First Choice were launched whilst Virgin launched their own cola worldwide. At one point Sainsbury's cola had a larger market share than Coca Cola. This all ended when Pepsi and Coke became one pound on promotion for a 2 litre bottle in alternate weeks. Somehow private label colas again became disgusting with artificial sweeteners, tasting like Barr Cola from the 80's.

RC cola was launched in the UK but quickly disappeared.

Well tonight I can reminisce about the good old days after ordering 6 cans of Royal Crown...

20240626_201921.jpg2325.jpg

Woolworths great tasting cola...

Last edited:
My favourite was always the Sainsbury's own brand which I used to drink in the mid to late 90s. I remember the bottles had extra wide openings and they branded them wide mouth. Could not see the angle on it but I remember it all these years later so it must have been effective.

When I worked at Iceland Frozen Foods in the early to mid naughties I used to buy the 2 litre virgin cola as it was perennially buy one get one free.

Until recently my favourite was Fentimans which had a small sediment and tasted slightly bitter; it's now got a natural sweetener in it and doesn't taste anywhere near as good.

I don't remember Royal Crown. I am a child of the early eighties so not sure when they introduced that formula.

My favourite was always the Sainsbury's own brand which I used to drink in the mid to late 90s. I remember the bottles had extra wide openings and they branded them wide mouth. Could not see the angle on it but I remember it all these years later so it must have been effective.

When I worked at Iceland Frozen Foods in the early to mid naughties I used to buy the 2 litre virgin cola as it was perennially buy one get one free.

Until recently my favourite was Fentimans which had a small sediment and tasted slightly bitter; it's now got a natural sweetener in it and doesn't taste anywhere near as good.

I don't remember Royal Crown. I am a child of the early eighties so not sure when they introduced that formula.
Royal Crown is American, probably the 3rd oldest Cola est 1905. It was introduced in the UK around 2014 ish and disappeared. I didn't even know it was here.
I just became aware of it, as they said all the 90's colas resembled it and it was made by Cott who had just bought the International rights of RC. In the US it's owned by Dr Pepper 7 up.

I am so saddened that Pepsi and Fentimans have added sweeteners to the main products. I really enjoyed the Fentimans Rose Lemonade, then spat out my first sip of my last bottle as they have added stevia or sucralose...

Last edited:
Where'd you buy the RC 6-pack?

Also used to buy Fentiman's, was particularly fond of the dandelion and burdock but the last few bottles I bought tasted wrong which put me off it... Now I know why!

Where'd you buy the RC 6-pack?

Also used to buy Fentiman's, was particularly fond of the dandelion and burdock but the last few bottles I bought tasted wrong which put me off it... Now I know why!

They have Tam Tams biscuits from Oz, I wish I had ordered a few. Definitely ordering again.

They have Tam Tams biscuits from Oz, I wish I had ordered a few. Definitely ordering again.
Not sure how I feel about that high fructose corn syrup :confused:

If I ordered anything would probably be Mexican Coca Cola, made with cane sugar!

Not sure how I feel about that high fructose corn syrup :confused:

If I ordered anything would probably be Mexican Coca Cola, made with cane sugar!
We have sugar here, I don't notice any difference.
I had a grey import of Coca Cola from Eastern Europe, which had high fructose corn syrup. It was delicious.

Back
Top Bottom