Valet Auto-strop VB2

I got this one a wee while ago, but I only just got round to taking pictures.

AMQyw83.jpg

It seems to be virtually mint, I couldn't imagine how it could be much cleaner. It's my first Autostrop and I think it is a VB2. I've yet to try the feather SE in it, but will get round to it eventually!

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/b9FrC

Greetings

A lovely example and it will shave like a dream with a Feather blade, albeit most people only get two shaves from them, some three, but the first shave with one of those blades is truly wonderful.

It looks like you might even have a decent strop, which is the first thing that gets 'knackered', I have six or seven Valet strops and do not have a decent one amongst them!

Regards
Dick.

Beautiful. I beg to differ on the classification, though, and think it a VC2. Actually, the strop might say something like "Model C" on it. The size of it and the handle points it more towards the VC than the VB. English, too, right? Yes, "British Made" on the case. I've only seen those handles on British examples.

Lovely! Drop that Feather in and have a great shave!

Thanks for the clear up - I wasn't too sure of the model as it's all a bit confusing to me.

I really like the strop and the only issues I can find with it are the kinks due to being rolled up.

Our straight edge friends will no doubt be more help, but I have heard of folks using aftershave balm to liven up old strops. Squirt some on and run a milk bottle up and down it. You'll get the balm into the strop and it will straighten out. A few successive runs should get it back to serviceable ... not that modern blades need stropping, but you might like to try it for fun.

That's a lovely example Mull. I picked up two of these at a vintage fair just recently but neither in such good condition and only one of them had the strop - which is definitely knackered - though I did get six unopened blades in one of the boxes. Just as a matter of interest, Neil Miller makes replacement strops for these @ £20! May be worth a look :)

Back
Top Bottom