Which razor should I get? And would you recommend?

Okay so I am hoping you you guys can help me, I am fairly new to the shaving world. I used to use a normal multiple razor and soon came across the world of safety razors. I bought a Gilette safety razor and needless to say I was converted! I am fairly early in my safety razor career so apologies for the questions.

Since then I have used it multiple times and absolutely love it so I want to invest a little more into a razor. So first question is what is a safety razor that you guys recommend? Read reviews on Rockwell, Henson and Edwin but is there one you guys would say is the best?

Also my routine is have a shower, then use the proraso pre shave balm and the proraso soap before shaving then Nivea calming balm to finish off. Is there anything else you guys would add in or any other brands you can recommend to really get the best out of my shaving?

You've opened a can of worms I suspect and might be about to jump down a potentially expensive hole
My 2p worth would be that, for the immediate future, you stick with the trusty Gillette, Proraso products and Nivea. There's nothing wrong with any of those (some members swear by them!) - nivea balm a particular favourite of mine!
If you want some variety start exploring the world of razor blades....

Are there any razor blades you would say are necessarily better than other? Not going into a silly price range but affordable and good?

Are there any razor blades you would say are necessarily better than other? Not going into a silly price range but affordable and good?
It's going to be a matter of personal preference to some extent. For almost any blade, you'll find people who like it and others who dislike it.
I'd say that you'd want to start with whatever you can find for reasonable prices where you shop.
If you're in the UK and US, there's a bunch of reputable vendors that sell blades at good prices.

Hi @Zedge and welcome to TSR!

I'm interested in which Gillette safety razor you already have - is it their KCG three piece? If so, you already have a really good razor there but after trying out a few others and maybe spending a pretty penny or two you will come back to that razor and really appreciate just what a great thing you already had.

But, of course you want to buy a more premium product ... so I'll say this.

First, blades can make a considerable difference to the shave so perhaps try out a blade sampler with the razor that you already know. Very broadly, I think we can say that folks who like Russian blades think less highly of Indian and Chinese blades ... and vice versa, but it's all becoming very muddy now what with Gillette (Russia) moving production to both India and China, both of whom have absolutely excellent production facilities. There's Egypt as well (Lord brand) who are to my mind the spiritual successor to the now historical English Wilkinson Sword razor blade branding, having sold equipment and training to Lord. The German made Wilkinson Sword are a damn good blade - very sharp! Perhaps harsh on the first shave, but it'll teach you to take a very light touch and to follow the beard reduction strategy across a couple of passes or more.

Second, there is a world of interesting safety razors out there and many reasons to buy them. There's modern with all manner of modern high-quality materials from stainless steel to aluminium to titanium and many of these are in vogue at the moment. I particularly like the Muhle Rocca. Have a look at some SOTD pictures and follow up with what you like the look of. There's vintage and a good century of innovation to enjoy - every shaver should own a Gillette Tech. There's also just so much else to look at and choose from but perhaps consider something geometrically different like a slant razor ... or a single edge razor which might take an alternative blade, or a snapped double edge blade.

You've got the rest of your life to enjoy this thoroughly engrossing hobby which will elevate your daily shave to a heavenly slice of "me time". Look out for the passarounds where you can try out a razor doing the rounds - you'll need to be here for a little longer, so we can get to know you a bit more before participating in many of those. Meanwhile, there's no right or wrong or best and starting with what YOU like the look of is a sound strategy.

But ... TLDR?

Muhle Rocca
Gillette Tech
Merkur 37C Slant
... and a sampler of blades.

See you around.

What an absolutely brilliant post and I really do thank you for taking your time out of your day to post this. Having read the comments there is a good possibility I was naive in thinking potentially a new razor was going to benefit me when in fact it was the new blades I was looking for.
Having taken everyone’s comments on board and spending the good majority of the day scrolling through posts I think I am going to buy a Connaught sampler pack containing the Astra (these appear to have pretty universally good reviews!) and see where we go from there.

For your info it is indeed the KCG 3 piece and maybe with a new blade I may well appreciate it a little more. Just presuming as with most things the more you spend, the better the quality but such may not be the case!

Thankyou for your help!

Very sound advice above from Paul.

Get to know your KCG razor with different blades, and hone your technique, and your razor acquisition disorder (RAD) may receded - saving you a heap of money!

Change one variable, (blade, razor, soap/cream, post shave at a time - this way you'll know what does/doesn't work/agree with your skin.

Stick around Kid - the ride has just begun!

Am I right in thinking that although you like the KCG which is a mild razor you want something with a little more "bite" to it to shave more efficiently? My usual advice is where a razor is not efficient or indeed too aggressive the best course of action is to try a different blade which I personally call "fine tuning". But there are limits to that fine tuning and you may well have to change to a different razor.

Sharper blades: Nacet or Bic Platinum Chrome or Feather.

For a razor that is still mild but a little more efficient: Fatip Grande Testina Gentile which won't break the bank at around £18 plus postage and available in different platings from Connaught.