First SE shave + razor identification

I got some Gem SE blades yesterday, so I can finally use the Ever-Ready 1912 Which came as part of a job lot several months ago. Here it is with blade loaded:

image.jpeg

Then I remembered buying this as part of another job lot:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

What is it please? Is it a better than a 1912 for a first time user?

Yes, three variations I think. The open comb one is commonly known as the OCMM, and I'm playing with one currently. The OCMM has a reputation for being ultra-aggressive, although that's not what I am finding. The Clog Pruf is a safety bar version of the OCMM, meant to be slightly milder.

The bullet tip, also known as the flying wing, which is your one, is supposed to be the mildest of the three, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's mild compared to other razors. I've never used it, so I can't comment really.

I love a 1912, especially now that I've discovered shimming it. However, as good as it is, it doesn't come close to the Clog Pruf. Simply the most comfortable and closest shave it's possible to get. I'm still BBS 24 hours later. I've often said on here that I'd defy the best barber with the best straight razor to give me a better shave.

Yeah it still is, just look at it! The Clog Pruf for me anyway, feels more like a DE in the hand. The whole look and feel of the 1912 makes every shave feel like you're about to meet Her Majesty.

Gordy mate you're a bit of an enigma.

I love a 1912, especially now that I've discovered shimming it. However, as good as it is, it doesn't come close to the Clog Pruf. Simply the most comfortable and closest shave it's possible to get. I'm still BBS 24 hours later. I've often said on here that I'd defy the best barber with the best straight razor to give me a better shave.

Have to admit, I don't think there's much better than the 1912, the shaves I've had from them are just awesome. It's by far my favourite razor to use, like a special occasion every single time.
I have no idea why, but the Clog Pruf gives me a shave beyond the 1912. I say beyond because I'm still BBS 24 hours after, that's just a fact. I've said it many times, I would defy the best barber with the best straight razor to give me a better shave.

The 3 Models are the OCMM, Clog Pruf & Bullet Tip..The OCMM & Clog pruf are more or less the same razor..The Clog Pruf can be viewed as the Closed Comb Version..The blade Gap & Exposure is Identical & unless we are splitting hairs are about as Aggressive as each other which would be around just a click of centre right of middle of the road..o_O

The OCMM is just harder to use then the Clog Pruf and that's why Gem introduced the New Bar Guard Design..The Bullet Tip is the Mildest of the Bunch but it can be dialled in to give as close a shave as a USA made 1912 for Sure..It is an interesting razor to say the least as it can be Mild to centre left of Moderately Aggressive in the right hands..:eek:

The early OCMM did not have nubs on the base plate as Paul calls them..In my books this had led to some weird and wonderful tales over the years why the later models had the nubs..It took me a moment to work this one out as I was never content with some of the explanation's..;)

The OCMM without the nubs on the baseplate was only made for a few years and then Gem introduced Double sided Single edge blades for the New Improved OCMM with nubs on the base plate..The nubs were put there to take these New double sided or reversible Gem Blades that didn't have a Spine..The nubs are there to seat the reversible blades at the same angle as a Normal Gem Blade with a Spine..There is No Bones about this & I have never read this anywhere else but the dates coincide with the changes..:p

@wintoid has some of these Gem Reversible Blades I sold him with my Clog Proof..I was shaving with them & that's when the penny dropped to why some of the OCMM have the nubs & some don't..The Early OCMM will not accept these Gem Reversible blades because it has a Flat Tray..All the later Micromatic Models have these nubs and will accept these reversible blades..These blades only Fit the Micromatic Family..:)

They are far Superior to Current Gem Blades an All..:D

Billy

Last edited:
Gordy mate you're a bit of an enigma.

Not really, I think I made it clear that I love the 1912, it looks and feels better much than a Clog Pruf. It always has given me fantastic shaves, only bettered by that shim which I first used yesterday. I'm BBS for quite a while after my shave.
I'm not particularly fussed about the look of the Clog Pruf and I want my SE to feel just like an SE, which it doesn't. Thing is as I mentioned, there's nothing to touch the result of it. It leaves me so smooth, you'd swear I didn't have hair there.

Ah right on You're saying the Clog Pruf is the better shaver even if you do prefer using the 1912.
See I get that.
The Clog Pruf is the better razor but I sold mine to Boab because I prefer using my 1924.

So the 1912 aint 'the one'.

images

Thanks for all the replies, so it is a Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip. It's a fairly mild razor, so would be good for someone SE shaving for the first time (i.e. me!).

How old is it roughly, when were they made?

Not really, I think I made it clear that I love the 1912, it looks and feels better much than a Clog Pruf. It always has given me fantastic shaves, only bettered by that shim which I first used yesterday. I'm BBS for quite a while after my shave.
I'm not particularly fussed about the look of the Clog Pruf and I want my SE to feel just like an SE, which it doesn't. Thing is as I mentioned, there's nothing to touch the result of it. It leaves me so smooth, you'd swear I didn't have hair there.
Thanks for all the replies, so it is a Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip. It's a fairly mild razor, so would be good for someone SE shaving for the first time (i.e. me!).

How old is it roughly, when were they made?
The OCMM was introduced in 1929/30...The New Model with the Nubs & the Double sided blade was introduced in Tandem on 1932/33...The Clog pruf was Introduced in 1941 & the Bullet Tip or Flying Wing as they called in 1947/48..:p

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...ved=0ahUKEwiQsYPn9PLLAhXF2BoKHaQZBnoQ6AEIIzAB

Billy

Thanks, so it is a pretty late SE. I'll try the bullet tip for the next 5 days, starting tomorrow morning (the kids are on holiday so no school run!) and next week I'll try the 1912.

Back
Top Bottom