Parker Variant vs Rockwell 6C

Having not tried either, and with general Uk sales of the gunmetal 6C looming, which do you feel is better?

I think they're both gorgeous razors to look at, at similar prices, but I'm entirely undecided on which I'd prefer!

Ultimately, if you know you're going to only use plates 1 and 3 there's obviously the 2C as an option...

Thoughts?

Having not tried either, and with general Uk sales of the gunmetal 6C looming, which do you feel is better?

I think they're both gorgeous razors to look at, at similar prices, but I'm entirely undecided on which I'd prefer!

Ultimately, if you know you're going to only use plates 1 and 3 there's obviously the 2C as an option...

Thoughts?
Only having only used the parker I could not compare the both razors but I would think just going on user reveiews the Rockwell could be better in terms of comfort ect, but i would be tempted by the SS model rather than the C.

I've been tempted by the Rockwel 6S a few times but the thing that has always changed my mind is its practicality.... not sure about changing plates in the middle of a shave.... I can change aggressiveness on my Progress very easily, like on the Parker.

My experience, since I started wet shaving, has been like standing at the beach watching how the waves unfold :) every wave brings a new "best ever" razor, soap, brush, etc. I no longer believe that buying the next razor will bring me comfort on my shavings.... I'll buy the next razor for other reasons. To me, as far as comfort is concerned, technique and matching a blade to a razor are far more important.

However, I would recommend a newcomer to wet shaving the Rockwel 6C or 6S. I think it would make the journey of finding what works for an individual easier. ;)

I have had both the 6s and the Parker.
Sold the 6s and will soon be selling the Parker - only because I managed to find a birth year and quarter Black Beauty.

Personally, I found the convenience of adjusting on the fly with the Parker, better than the 6s.

If you think you will find your aggression and stick with it, then go for the 6s/6c.

If you like to change during the shave, go for the Parker.

Edit: forgot to add - I found the head of the 6s slightly too bit and heavy.

Last edited:
Calling @Wayne Pritchard you have both, this question you can answer maybe?
For what its worth I do love both of them.
If I had a gun against my head and was forced to only have one then at the moment it would be the Rockwell 6c plate#4.
Of course you do not have the convenience of the adjustable that the Parker provides but as far as the quality of shave goes then the 6c comes first. BBS every time on a 3 pass shave.
Admittedly I have not used my Parker as much as my 6c so my opinion may change over time and after using a few more different blades.
One thing for sure is the Parker would be a very aggressive animal if set @ #6. :) Certainly to be treated with the utmost respect. ;)

Hope this helps. :)

I own both, and have used the 6c eleven times by now (with a Sputnik blade) and the Parker 29 times (with a Sputnik and a Feather blade, combined). Based on that, I prefer the Parker, and it's hardly a contest for me.

The Parker gives a smooth and effective shave, similar to the results of a MÜHLE R41 but without the agressiveness - I use it primarily in the 2, 3 and/or 4 setting, sometimes dialing up or down during a shave for each pass. I have not yet had a problem with it, no blood or razor burn, and it worked great from the beginning (I remember the very first shave felt like one of my best ever).

The Rockwell still makes it a bit difficult for me. I have yet to have a shave as close as with the Parker. Plates R1 and R2 are very mild (I guess you couldn't cut yourself even if you tried) but also not too effective - after three passes and some touch-ups, I'm still left with what feels like a few hours' growth in my problem areas under the jawline. Plates R3 and R4 are nice and average, and feel about on par with a MÜHLE R89 or Merkur (I agree that plate R4 seems to be the best). Plates R5 and R6 feel more aggressive, though still not uncomfortable, but have left me with a bit of razor burn.

Obviously it may be my technique or lack thereof with the Rockwell, but I was much more comfortable with the Parker from the get-go. Both razors give a nice audible feedback, and the head size feels similar. An upside of the Rockwell is that it's obviously much easier to fully disassemble and clean.

(But I guess the best advice would be as always, get both and see for yourself! ;):) )

Don't tempt me to get both guys! :p I'm tending towards the Parker now on looks but unsure whether there's any true requirement for a truly adjustable razor... they're definitely both well appreciated razors for the money but the Rockwell seems to get better feedback... decision, decisions! I definitely prefer the darker coloured options of both! :p

I have both for sometime now to be able to pronounce the merits and demerits of each.
The issue here is between the 6C and the Variant. As I don't have the 6C but the 6S which presumably shave the same, I'll report on the 6S instead.
The 6S obviously is a better quality made razor as we are now comparing SS to Zamak which the Variant is made of. The 6C is not SS which brings it more in tandem with the Variant.
Apart from that I find the Variant more convenient as I can change settings on the fly, where the 6S & 6C requires you to stop and fiddle with a wet razor to change aggressiveness. That can be dangerous if one does not pay attention.
Shaving wise, the Variant on its most aggressive setting is way more aggressive than the 6S but nowhere as smooth. I do also find the 6S a little better balanced in the hand.
The Variant is louder and has more blade feel on equal aggressiveness settings. Aggressiveness though can be found in a lot of razors, but the combination of smoothness and effectiveness of the 6S is unsurpassed by anything I have ever tried and I do have an appreciable collection of DE's and SE'S.
I do like and use them both, always with a Feather or a Polsilver iridium and I cannot see myself parting with any one of the two. Maybe when the model T comes out, then I might re-consider.

Last edited:
Don't tempt me to get both guys! :p I'm tending towards the Parker now on looks but unsure whether there's any true requirement for a truly adjustable razor... they're definitely both well appreciated razors for the money but the Rockwell seems to get better feedback... decision, decisions! I definitely prefer the darker coloured options of both! :p
I have a proposition for you @Benz3ne .
Buy yourself a 6c (trust me, you will not go wrong)and if you wait a couple of weeks you are more than welcome to borrow my Parker.

I am literally lending it out next week for someone to try and you can have it after that.
My Rockwell 6c has already been promised to a good friend of mine here and as soon as he is ready I shall do that.

To conclude if you have plenty to go on with, wait a couple of weeks and you can try the both of mine and then you can make your own mind up.

Hope this helps.
Wayne :)

To conclude if you have plenty to go on with, wait a couple of weeks and you can try the both of mine and then you can make your own mind up.

Hope this helps.
That's a very generous proposition, Wayne! I'm not in any rush as the OH's birthday is next month and I think I'd lose a teste if she found out I was spending money on razors before getting her a gift! :p I think I'll be hanging on for a little while until the gunmetal 6C is general stock and see where I go from there. :) I'll let you know if I do end up purchasing either and if not I'll be grateful to borrow the razor/those razors for a short period to get a feel for them!

What I'm getting from the general populous is that the Variant and 6C will both give great shaves and each have their merits but the 6S is a slight step ahead as it's made from stainless steel. As I've already got a SS razor I doubt I need another, per se. Plus I look after my kit enough for Zamak not to be a huge issue for me. :)

I think the in-razor adjustability of the Variant is useful... I think I am tending towards it somewhat but ultimately trying them out will be the decider! :D

Thanks all for your detailed, thorough responses!

That's a very generous proposition, Wayne! I'm not in any rush as the OH's birthday is next month and I think I'd lose a teste if she found out I was spending money on razors before getting her a gift! :p I think I'll be hanging on for a little while until the gunmetal 6C is general stock and see where I go from there. :) I'll let you know if I do end up purchasing either and if not I'll be grateful to borrow the razor/those razors for a short period to get a feel for them!

What I'm getting from the general populous is that the Variant and 6C will both give great shaves and each have their merits but the 6S is a slight step ahead as it's made from stainless steel. As I've already got a SS razor I doubt I need another, per se. Plus I look after my kit enough for Zamak not to be a huge issue for me. :)

I think the in-razor adjustability of the Variant is useful... I think I am tending towards it somewhat but ultimately trying them out will be the decider! :D

You are more than welcome.
As soon as I have both of them back I will let you know and we can take it from there.
All the best,

That's a very generous proposition, Wayne! I'm not in any rush as the OH's birthday is next month and I think I'd lose a teste if she found out I was spending money on razors before getting her a gift! [emoji14] I think I'll be hanging on for a little while until the gunmetal 6C is general stock and see where I go from there. :) I'll let you know if I do end up purchasing either and if not I'll be grateful to borrow the razor/those razors for a short period to get a feel for them!

The 6S is not a step ahead in terms of how it shaves, only in terms of durability. Indeed a lot of folks find the chrome finished 6C the superior shaver. I don't have the Variant , but I do use the Progress, the Variant differing in balance and calibration but very similar. No contest i prefer the Rockwell by a mile. I don't fiddle with settings mid shave so the convenience of the Variant would not mean much to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom