Saponificio Varesino soap

Digimonkey

Supporter
Supporter
Looking for a bit of advice - I've been very good this year with buying products so I feel I can justify something new. I'm most drawn to try a SV soap for the first time and pick up a splash to match. I've read the scent profiles but wondered if there are any stand out soaps in the range? Most tempted by either of the Felce Aromatica versions - are there huge differences in performance between the beta versions? I would maybe pair that with OSP Fougere? Any suggestions for good combinations? @Blackmass - this is mostly your fault mate. Cheers - I

Looking for a bit of advice - I've been very good this year with buying products so I feel I can justify something new. I'm most drawn to try a SV soap for the first time and pick up a splash to match. I've read the scent profiles but wondered if there are any stand out soaps in the range? Most tempted by either of the Felce Aromatica versions - are there huge differences in performance between the beta versions? I would maybe pair that with OSP Fougere? Any suggestions for good combinations? @Blackmass - this is mostly your fault mate. Cheers - I
I've also been intrigued by SV soap - have had felce aromatica (beta 4.0) and currently have tundra artica. Both fabulous, tundra is an amazing scent and in my opinion makes my skin feel just a touch more moisturised than felce. I've just got a sample of Stella alpina and had 2 shaves with it - the scent is nice, but prefer the other 2 scents, but it works just as as well. Haven't tried the rest of the range, but am wondering whether to pull the trigger on the new felce (4.3) - the scent was wonderful (I am avoiding describing the scents as I am rubbish at it). I did get a tundra artica balm today (Hermes threw it over the garden fence in the way they always do when I'm out!) and will see how that goes - it smells somewhat different to the soap, more woody.

Last edited:
@Digimonkey , I don't notice the difference between the beta versions.I have three of the SV soaps, the 70th anniversary beta4.1, the new felce aromatica beta 4.3 and the tundra artica bete 4.1.
I like all three, great lather with a nice post shave feel.
For scent my favourite is the tundra artica it's probably my favourite scent out of all the soaps I own.The felce would be next out of the three followed by the 70th.

I have tundra arctica soap & balm, the performance is top & the scent is too.
It really is the dogs danglies.

I have the felce soap, older version in the box & the dolomiti balm, I find they pair well. The felce soap works well, scent is nice (a touch artificial to my nose), not the niiiiiice of the tundra arctica though.

I have tundra arctica soap & balm, the performance is top & the scent is too.
It really is the dogs danglies.

I have the felce soap, older version in the box & the dolomiti balm, I find they pair well. The felce soap works well, scent is nice (a touch artificial to my nose), not the niiiiiice of the tundra arctica though.

@JayGee - thanks. The Tundra racing to the front at the moment. Cheers - I

You called Sir?:p:)

Let's get one out the way first. Don't bother with the 70th anniversary soap or balm. The soap has next to no scent , the performance is good and it's got a nice tin. Do not buy the balm either. It turns into a solid gel and is impossible to get anything out of it.
This has been reported by number of people. I sent mine back and got a refund, again nice bottle but completely useless.

I've only bought one other aftershave balm and didn't like it either, the Tundra Artica. I found it left my skin sticky.

OK now we've got that out the way. What to recommend? Well everything else TBH.

I'll narrow it down to three....well let's make it four.;)

As a few others have already mentioned, Tundra Artica has a beautiful scent, agra wood (oud) and great performance.

Manna di Sicilia, slightly lighter fragrance (same scent strength though) than the Tundra Artica but similar.

Stella Alpina: When you've finished shaving with this you feel like this!
sound-of-music.jpg

Felce Aromatica. A fourgere but like all SV soaps, a very classy take on it.

Let's break it down into two categories:

Scent: They are all complex and smooth, like an expensive cologne. Scent strength is above average.

Performance: They are the best (overall) soaps I've tried so far. Great protection, slickness and glide. Only Eufros soaps can beat them for performance. I still prefer the SV soaps scents though.
I've also tried MDC and Nuavia and still prefer SV soaps.

I have found improvements in performance with the Beta editions.
The Stella Alpina 4.2 was a step up and the same can be said for the limited edition Felce Aromatica.

They are all great though.......Oh and their brushes are alright too.;)

If you need to know anything else please let me know.

Last edited:
You called Sir?:p:)

Let's get one out the way first. Don't bother with the 70th anniversary soap or balm. The soap has next to no scent , the performance is good and it's got a nice tin. Do not buy the balm either. It turns into a solid gel and is impossible to get anything out of it.
This has been reported by number of people. I sent mine back and got a refund, again nice bottle but completely useless.

I've only bought one other aftershave balm and didn't like it either, the Tundra Artica. I found it left my skin sticky.

OK now we've got that out the way. What to recommend? Well everything else TBH.

I'll narrow it down to three....well let's make it four.;)

As a few others have already mentioned, Tundra Artica has a beautiful scent, agra wood (oud) and great performance.

Manna di Sicilia, slightly lighter fragrance (same scent strength though) than the Tundra Artica but similar.

Stella Alpina: When you've finished shaving with this you feel like this!

Felce Aromatica. A fourgere but like all SV soaps, a very classy take on it.

Let's break it down into two categories:

Scent: They are all complex and smooth, like an expensive cologne. Scent strength is above average.

Performance: They are the best (overall) soaps I've tried so far. Great protection, slickness and glide. Only Eufros soaps can beat them for performance. I still prefer the SV soaps scents though.
I've also tried MDC and Nuavia and still prefer SV soaps.

I have found improvements in performance with the Beta editions.
The Stella Alpina 4.2 was a step up and the same can be said for the limited edition Felce Aromatica.

They are all great though.......Oh and their brushes are alright too.

If you need to know anything else please let me know.

@Blackmass - thank you for that - it was the least you could do. ha ha. In between reading the last responses and yours I bought the Tundra Artica refill puck and the matching bar soap. The latter for my partner - I got her some of the 70th anniversary version and she loved it. So - I'm still not sure where to go with my second SV soap? I fancy the look of the Stella Alpina - no shit. Do I have to wear a pinafore? Cheers - I

@Blackmass - thank you for that - it was the least you could do. ha ha. In between reading the last responses and yours I bought the Tundra Artica refill puck and the matching bar soap. The latter for my partner - I got her some of the 70th anniversary version and she loved it. So - I'm still not sure where to go with my second SV soap? I fancy the look of the Stella Alpina - no shit. Do I have to wear a pinafore? Cheers - I

The Stella Alpina is an excellent choice Sir.....The pinafore is optional.:p

The Stella Alpina is an excellent choice Sir.....The pinafore is optional.:p

@Blackmass - I've been told I look good in a pinafore. How very dare you. There have been lots of good responses to my questions about SV soap - indeed I've ordered some - but not so many for a matching splash? What would suit the Arctic Tundra? Cheers - I

@Blackmass - I've been told I look good in a pinafore. How very dare you. There have been lots of good responses to my questions about SV soap - indeed I've ordered some - but not so many for a matching splash? What would suit the Arctic Tundra? Cheers - I

It's a question I need answering myself TBH. Maybe Aqua Di Parma oud?

I'm not very knowledgeable on fragrances. Hopefully someone can help us both out.
I'd love matching colognes for all their soaps.

Hey @Digimonkey I Have all the SV Soaps apart from dolomiti I gave that one away it was the first version that came out not the black version , SV Soaps are my best Shaving Soaps Nothing Comes Close The Scents are Amazing if i had to pick Favorites it would be manna di sicilia and tundra artica and cosmo & 70th but I love them all I also bought two of the balms the cosmo one and the 70th one and sent them back for a refund I just use nivea balm with them as for matching them up with aftershave I carnt help you there mate I don't use it but the soaps are amazing :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom