UK Driving Question

With steering wheels on the right in British vehicles, I wonder if that is troublesome for those who have "chunneled" their vehicle to France and had to drive on the other side of the road? o_O

No, it isn't a problem but be extra cautious while your brain gets used to driving on the right side of the road.

I believe Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Africa, India, etc also drive on the left side of the road ;)

Last edited:
Greetings

Whilst I do not have extensive experience of driving on the right side of the road in UK vehicles I personally find it is easier to drive a strange hire car with the wheel on the left than your own familiar car with the steering wheel on the 'wrong' side.

Having said that I have driven abroad very much more in local hire cars than my own or another UK car.

Regards
Dick.

I find the adjustment harder when returning. Especially when on the motorbike and for some reason my instinct says go for the right. Soon corrected

Otherwise no major problem. Harder in the likes of the Bahamas where you'll get an American LHD hire car when the roads are the same left lane as the UK

I found it a doddle on my holiday to Belgium last year. Bit surreal as it was my first time in the drivers' seat but managed it a-okay. Return was quick to acclimatise also, after a week of 'wrong side' driving.

I have driven in California a lot and find it very easy to adapt to.
Septics really have problems with "traffic circles" (roundabouts) there is one on the PCH near Long Beach that I have had to teach my American friends how to negotiate, they are really confused by them.

Septics really have problems with "traffic circles" (roundabouts) there is one on the PCH near Long Beach that I have had to teach my American friends how to negotiate, they are really confused by them.

In my experience so do Cumbrians, the number of near misses I've had because some idiot's decided to turn right from the left-hand lane is not even funny.

I used to work in Paris a few days a week, and used to get there in a UK vehicle via the tunnel.

Blind spot mirrors help, and remember roundabouts are opposite as well. I saw a fair few UK drivers get that part wrong, despite driving on the right.

To be honest, it's no issue at all, just take it easy and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Septics"?

zllsBFs.jpg

Over taking is a bit of a worry, because you are now driving from the passenger position, so you have to pull out further to see around the vehicle in front.. If that makes sense..

Back
Top Bottom