Brush: Razorock 400 Synth Plissoft
Soap: 1912 Classic 24
Razor: Razorock Game Changer 0.84 OC
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, EO infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Bart's Balm Lime Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Vintage Ferd. Mülhens Vintage 4711 EDC

Wk16 (4)a.jpg

Alas, the small bar of pre shave 1912 is too small to use after today, not liking waste i stuck the leftover soap to the Sainsbury's B&N bar i have been using for pre shave. (who's a tight wad?)
A wonderful lather with great scent from the 1912 and RR400 mixed in the Bideford Potteries "Tonyschin" bowl and painted on the face over the pre shave layer, the scent is really nice and calming.
The GCOC paired with a Lab blue is an efficient combination and the stubble stood no chance, i find the OC is a tad more aggressive than the SB but not to an extent that it instills fear or loathing, its very manageable and involving.
3 Passes on my normal WTG, XTG & ATG routine, this has left me dolphin smooth and the post shave skin feel is superb.
Nothing from the Alum and a very nice post shave routine.
I did a bit research on the 5 bottles of vintage 4711 i bagged and it seems they are from the era that the labels etc still used Ferd. Mülhens name before changing to Mülhens GmbH & Co. KG. in 1990, it was then taken over by Wella in 1994. I would need to contact the Company to try to nail them down further, the packaging of the bottles and sets look a lot older.
So,
A BBS, comfortable result for this Easter Sunday, feeling and smelling very good.
Spare a thought for my darlin' as she is back to work in the hospital today for another shift (12 hrs yesterday),
Stay safe and enjoy your Sunday All.

Sun 12th SOTD
Soap TFS Tabacum Crepito
Bowl Kitchen Ceramic
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Gillette Empire Goodwill 2nd use
Blade Astra SP 1st
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Cucumber
PAA Cavendish
This time..used a small spoon to scrap-out some soap and paste on the bowl. Then lather with semi wet brush. Added some water once and wow...what a lather! Scent very mild like almond. Slickness okok only. This razor's blade alignment is not very good. Need to fiddle some for a good balance. Otherwise the shave with razor and this blade pairing was wow...now that's what's call sharp and smooth!! 3pass ATG, XTG & ATG was enough. Really smooth shave. Immediate ice cold rinse followed by special Thayers. Overall very close shave with BBS 98% results. Rating 9.5/10
20200412_121939.jpg
20200412_122833.jpg

12 April

PAA Harvest Moon
Razorock 400 Noir SE
MÜHLE R101
Feather Hi-stainless
Proraso white asb
Penhaligon Sartorial

6815A9B5-FC2B-40CA-ABE9-F42F9D82AC07.jpeg

A close shave was anticipated and received this morning, using the MÜHLE is always a little exciting with a new blade. No damage done. A wonderful lather from the PAA soap and Razorock brush probably helped. Have a good Easter everyone.

12 April 2020 – high noon:
Two days' growth. R89 medium razor with good result.
Just like to share a useful link to Exec Shaving re “soap blooming". Tried it with the Erasmic and works a treat. Always had a problem with that one.
https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving-soap-what-is-it-and-why-use-it

Prep: Artisan Honey Soap & Nuage Shave Oil
Brush: Badger no name
Razor: MÜHLE R89
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum
Soap: Erasmic bowl
Alum Block: Ajanta
After Shave Balm: Autograph
Bold = change from last shave

12/4/20

Soap - Signature Soaps Rose & Geranium
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow/Faux Horse
Razor - Yaqi Old Type Clone
Blade - Personna Red (1)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Intesa Glacial Lotion

I'd not used Brian's Signature Soaps for a while and forgot how superb the lather was and how delightfully smelling the Rose & Geranium soap is. The Personna Red seemed to not be the best fit for the Yaqi OC for the first pass, it seemed to tug quite a bit but it seemed to get the results fr the 2nd/3rd passes.

Have a good day chaps.

B5EC0AA2-6C0D-4F10-8CB2-1CDCB4204A62.jpeg2B1DC4A6-9B2E-42DF-A484-CE52ADB9D3E5.jpegD207A756-E43F-4E5C-83F1-01F40B89726C.jpeg

SOTD Easter Sunday 04/12/2020

Happy Easter to all! Although I wasn't planning this shave today, I'm participating in a razor pass around featuring two adjustable razors designed and built by one of the members (@twhite) at The Shave Den, my regular wet shaving hangout. The TAR (Tom's Adjustable Razor) package consists of two razors, a hefty brass razor and a black aluminum one with a black guncote finish. The brass razor weighs 5.5 oz or 155.9 grams. It's not a lightweight. The aluminum version weighs in at 55 grams. The OC razor head design reminds me of French Cage Head razors while the overall design is similar to the Gibbs adjustable complete with the 6 point adjustment scale, although the handle is thicker in proportion to the head. Unlike the Gibbs the TAR accommodates modern SS blades that require no modification. I'll be shaving with the brass razor for the next 4 or 5 days and then will switch to the aluminum for approximately the same number of days. All of my shaves will consist of both head and face shaves, and will use a Suneko DE blade.

For this first shave, I used Lucky Tiger Cream Soap salted with 6 drops of M-Bomb and my Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute brush with a 24mm Badger/Boar hybrid knot. Before lathering up for the first pass, I prepared for the shave with my usual cold water rinse. Prior reviewers commented on the weight of the brass razor, but it seemed to work quite well for shaky old me. In fact, the weight counterbalanced my tremors and allowed me to focus on shave technique. In hand the razor reminds me of my Famex and Le Coq Cage head razors. I took my time with the first WTG pass using short careful strokes with razor set on 4. That initially felt a bit much in the first few strokes, so I dialed it down to 3 which felt right to me. Although the handle felt a bit thicker than I was used to, I quickly grew used to it. Finally, the overall feel of the razor was well-balanced in hand, allowing for the easy provision of ‘negative pressure'.

After lathering up for my second XTG pass, I adjusted the razor down a full step initially to 2, and then back to 2.5 for the second face pass due to a perceived loss of efficiency. When I do a three pass shave, I only do the face on the second pass, restricting the dome shaves to the first and third passes. The razor's weight, coupled with my new ability to focus only on shave technique, and not tremors, thanks to said weight, left me with only some selective buffing on both face and dome for the third ATG pass. Tom, you may not realize it, but you've designed the ideal razor for shaky oldsters. This was a great introductory shave. I never expected to achieve a face and head BBS with this first shave, but that's what happened. I feel clean, smooth, cool, refreshed, and ready for Easter dinner, albeit virtually with my family. Happy Easter to all of you sheltering in place! May God bless you all with safety and health!

RAZOR: TAR (Tom's Adjustable Razor) in Brass
BLADE: Suneko DE (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 24mm Hybrid Badger/Boar Knot
SOAP: Lucky Tiger Cream Shave w/ 6 Drops M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum

View attachment 53453View attachment 53454View attachment 53455

SOTD Easter Sunday 04/12/2020

Happy Easter to all! Although I wasn't planning this shave today, I'm participating in a razor pass around featuring two adjustable razors designed and built by one of the members (@twhite) at The Shave Den, my regular wet shaving hangout. The TAR (Tom's Adjustable Razor) package consists of two razors, a hefty brass razor and a black aluminum one with a black guncote finish. The brass razor weighs 5.5 oz or 155.9 grams. It's not a lightweight. The aluminum version weighs in at 55 grams. The OC razor head design reminds me of French Cage Head razors while the overall design is similar to the Gibbs adjustable complete with the 6 point adjustment scale, although the handle is thicker in proportion to the head. Unlike the Gibbs the TAR accommodates modern SS blades that require no modification. I'll be shaving with the brass razor for the next 4 or 5 days and then will switch to the aluminum for approximately the same number of days. All of my shaves will consist of both head and face shaves, and will use a Suneko DE blade.

For this first shave, I used Lucky Tiger Cream Soap salted with 6 drops of M-Bomb and my Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute brush with a 24mm Badger/Boar hybrid knot. Before lathering up for the first pass, I prepared for the shave with my usual cold water rinse. Prior reviewers commented on the weight of the brass razor, but it seemed to work quite well for shaky old me. In fact, the weight counterbalanced my tremors and allowed me to focus on shave technique. In hand the razor reminds me of my Famex and Le Coq Cage head razors. I took my time with the first WTG pass using short careful strokes with razor set on 4. That initially felt a bit much in the first few strokes, so I dialed it down to 3 which felt right to me. Although the handle felt a bit thicker than I was used to, I quickly grew used to it. Finally, the overall feel of the razor was well-balanced in hand, allowing for the easy provision of ‘negative pressure'.

After lathering up for my second XTG pass, I adjusted the razor down a full step initially to 2, and then back to 2.5 for the second face pass due to a perceived loss of efficiency. When I do a three pass shave, I only do the face on the second pass, restricting the dome shaves to the first and third passes. The razor's weight, coupled with my new ability to focus only on shave technique, and not tremors, thanks to said weight, left me with only some selective buffing on both face and dome for the third ATG pass. Tom, you may not realize it, but you've designed the ideal razor for shaky oldsters. This was a great introductory shave. I never expected to achieve a face and head BBS with this first shave, but that's what happened. I feel clean, smooth, cool, refreshed, and ready for Easter dinner, albeit virtually with my family. Happy Easter to all of you sheltering in place! May God bless you all with safety and health!

RAZOR: TAR (Tom's Adjustable Razor) in Brass
BLADE: Suneko DE (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 24mm Hybrid Badger/Boar Knot
SOAP: Lucky Tiger Cream Shave w/ 6 Drops M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum
Cool looking razors! Looking forward to your updates.

Back
Top Bottom