1st DE Shave - not good

Hi All,

I tried my first DE shave last night and it hasn't gone too well. I've got a load of shaving rash on my neck, which cut up pretty bad (not nicks, just taking the top skin off hair bumps) Also, it's nowhere near as close as my cartridge (Fusion).

I wasn't expecting perfection first time out, but this is sore today.

Here's the process I went through:

Showered and washed face with facial scrub (in shower for 10 mins). Soaking brush whilst this was going on.
Made a lather in a bowl using Bluebeards Luxury Shaving cream. Applied to face.
Shaved using an Edwards Jagger DE 89 with Derby extra blades. 1st pass N-S, 2nd pass Ears to Mouth...I couldn't manage a 3rd pass as my neck was in a bad way.

I'm pretty gutted as I've been really looking forward to DE shaving and have done plenty of forum reading and video watching (youtube geofatboy)

Can anyone spot a glaring mistake, or is it purely bad technique?

Cheers....

Mabbsy.

Hi Mabbsy, sorry the expectations didn't equal the reality. You've got a fairly mild set up there with the 89 & a Derby, so my (tentative) suggestion would be a wee touch of "too much too soon".
If your skin has never previously experienced DE shaves you really are on a new learning curve. Forget about 2 passes, just one really light wtg pass will probably be enough whilst you find a comfy blade angle & a really light touch.
I don't know if you ptreviously used a disposable plastic razor or an electric. If you've used the plastic razors before I always feel that with their angled head they pretty much sort out a suitable angle for you. And you can safely apply more pressure without doing the damage you've been unlucky enough to meet with.
Hope you wont let one unhappy experience put you off M8.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Those Derby blades can be pretty rough - I hate them, lol
I would try a different blade before you get too disheartened - the Gillette 7 o clock sharp edges are nice and smooth.
Seems like your prep was OK - but not tried the Bluebeard stuff, i would also get a Palmolive shave stick and try that in comparison, cheap and a very good lubricant.
You are not using too much pressure are you? Let the razor do the work, and get hold of a blade selection from connaught shaving, I'm sure you will find something that works.

Best regards

Could be technique - infact almost certainly on your first shave. A duff blade could also have contributed.

Shaving over ingrowns/bumps will never be a good idea. I used to suffer from those a long time ago. What worked for me was scrubbing my neck E to W with a flannel in the shower, either the night before or just before a morning shave. You have to get the folicules out from under the skin.

Once you improve, the ingrowns will hopefully become a thing of the past.

You are in a good spot for advice.

I ordered some Feather blades at the same time, so will try these next up. But will also get the selection from Connaught for some trial and error.

It maybe too much pressure? Although I thought I went easy (as I was pretty apprehensive). My neck hair does tend to grow in many different directions, so tricky to go with, across or against the grain.

Lol, my old man uses Palmolive...I can remember the smell already.

I'm going to persevere....hopefully I'll be posting about success after the next couple of shaves!

Cheers fella's....advice appreciated.

Firstly Sorry to hear about your bad introduction to DE shaving.

I suspect from the rawness you've experienced...that you've transferred the angle you hold the razor when shaving across from your Fusion....( A common Mistake)...Cartridge razors have an almost "preprogrammed" blade angle to face.....if you get this angle wrong with a DE razor the result will be more of a scraping action across the skin than a clean slicing action ..with the razor head gliding over the skin with the blade cutting the whiskers.....coupled with too much pressure on the razor..( another Common mistake)...End result sore face....

I would give your face a rest for a day or two..using the cartridge razor again if you need to shave....then have another go at DE shaving......analysing blade to face angle as you shave and let the weight of the razor do the work....you really don't need to press on at all.........try a mildish blade like a Red Personna ..I find they're quite smooth and forgiving...Bearing in mind different blades can perform differently in another razor...

Its worth persevering with DE ..the end results when you get your technique right, are far superior in every way to any multi blade razor.....Hope this helps a bit....Best of Luck

Mabbsy said:
It maybe too much pressure? Although I thought I went easy (as I was pretty apprehensive).

If you think that you may have used too much pressure, then that will be it!
When you shave with a DE razor, think to yourself "ZERO PRESSURE". Just use the weight of the razor head.

Cheers
Rod

Talk about going from one extreme to the other! Feathers are Very sharp. The selection pack would be a good idea, try the Gillette Yellow's may be a good place to start.

Echoing the above, going from a cartridge to a fixed head requires a very different technique. With the cartridge, you don't have to think about pressure or blade angle, and to an extent perfect lather. Now all these three factors need to be monitored, and any failings will result in burn / bleeds.

This are my personal thoughts:

- Lather
Spend some time practising making up a batch. Keep adding water drop by drop feeling how the consistency & lubrication changes with the more you add. You are looking to get the consistency of fine whipped egg white. Typically, the ideal point is just before the lather falls apart with too much water.

- Blades
They are all different - just as everyone's face is different. You may not hit on your ideal blade until you try your several. Additionally, blades perform differently in different razors.

- Pressure
Try your best not to apply any pressure on the razor, let it's weight do the work.

- Angle
Try to use a consistent angle. Use short gentle strokes & change the angle of the razor to match your face. You'll probably struggle with Chin & Neck.

- Reduction rather than removal
Your aim is to reduce the beard over several passes rather than remove it in one pass.

Never shave over an area with no lather - as it's the lather which is protecting your face!

Have a look at mantic59 on youtube. Probably the best instruction available. I really don't rate GeoFatboy - Blade buffing on first pass, Lather looks weak & a few other bad habits.

Good luck!

I can't add much - what's already been said is all good advice. I also started off with an DE89 and Derby blades; those blades are rubbish - every other type I've tried has given smoother shaves than those.

Thanks guys.

I don't need to shave for a few days now. I'll let my neck heal up and then try again, trying to apply the advice you've given to me.

I do feel that it's probably down to angle and pressure, so I'll pay partcular attention to this area of the shave.

I've ordered the UK selection pack from Connaught, so that should keep me busy for a few weeks. I think I'll leave the Feathers until I've got a better technique.

Just about to head to Morrisons to get a Palmolive stick....

Enjoy your weekend all.....

Unlike Johnny, I don't find your set up anywhere near 'mild' - as I had the same one when I started out. But I didn't have problems that bad, so I'm assuming you are doing something wrong, most likely it's the pressure and the angle (what else..). Also, forget that "N-S" :) There's "with the grain", and "against". Hair does grow in different directions, esp on the neck, and the sooner you map your stubble and follow the pattern, the better.

Well, apart from advice above, I could just recommend - get rid of the derbys as soon as you can. Get some Gillettes instead, before you try the rest. Also - just do 2 (3 if necessary) WTG passes, don't try jumping to the XTG, let alone ATG.

Best of luck :)

P.S. scrubbing before the shave is probably not the best idea either, depends on your skin though. Also try applying a simple hair conditioner to your stubble while in shower. It works! Even K. does it :D

You must start with Mantic's Video's. They are very well put together. They helped me alot.

Sounds like you also need to beard map too. Once i knew the way my beard grew, my comfort level went up massively.

Mabbsy said:
I ordered some Feather blades at the same time, so will try these next up. But will also get the selection from Connaught for some trial and error.

It maybe too much pressure?

That's definately what it is. Coming straight from carts you probably don't even realise. Hold the razor as lightly as possible and, as others have said,let the weight of the razor do the work.

I'd give the Faethers a try, I find that a mild razor works best with a sharp blade. And as long as you do not apply any pressure while shaving you should be ok with the sharp Feather blade. I don't recommend chopping and changing your blades until you have your technique sorted, then you can better compare. But ditch the Derby anyway.

Back
Top Bottom