1st Soap?

I recently started DE shaving and have up to now only used various creams which I've face lathered with a Vulfix 660S brush.

I like to give a soap a try and would like to know what you'd recommend as a first soap?

Also would I need to a different brush and would I be better bowl lathering with a soap?

Cheers Lee

Nothing wrong with going a bit cheap and cheerful for your first soap. Pop into Boots or wherever, pick up a stick of Palmolive for about 70p. easiest way to use it would be: wet your face, give it a quick rub into your stubble and lather it up with your brush. Its the way I use any sticks I take away with me (Speick, Latoja, Tabac etc..). I have gone down the grating into a container route before, but to be honest, it didn't really make much difference.

Give the top cm of the Palmolive a soak for 3 or 4 minutes which will soften it enough to make it easier to rub across your beard.

Palmolive is a good performer for the price, but I'm with Burgundy - proraso was my first soap and was a really good starting point. Still use it more than anything else to this day.

All suggestions above are good, but let me do a favour by pointing out which soaps NOT to buy as majority of the soaps are good and everyone has their favourite depending on smell, price, lathering technique, ingredients etc. etc...
Do Not even think of buying: 1-Wilkinson Sword Bowl, 2- Erasmic Stick, 3-Culmak Soap. Just stay away from these soaps then you are in safe hands and they are widely available in most shops and Pharmacies.
Personally I would suggest you to leave the artisan soaps until you try some other soaps and set yourself a favourite type and technique.
Good Luck

You could try Crabtree & Evelyn, or L'Occitane shaving soap if you have outlets near you. They may be a bit more pricey but Crabtree & Evelyn is not bad and you can get so much off the price if you buy 2 or with other C&E products. They usually cost around £10 for a refill, more if you buy the bowl, and last around 3 to 4 months.

I haven't tried L'Occitane shaving soap but it is good.

I'd recommend a Palmolive stick too.

You can't go wrong for 50p! You can apply it straight to your face, cut off a slice and press it into a bowl, or squish the whole thing into a tub.

Another vote for Palmolive, or Arko, if you can get it easily. I think Arko's better, but you can get Palmolive in supermarkets, it costs peanuts, and the scent probably isn't as Marmite.

Go with Proraso, it's foolproof and good value for money. With summer and hopefully warmer weather on the horizon go for a green tub and enjoy the refreshing menthol hit!

Back
Top Bottom