1st Week of DE shaving

Well, I've now been DE shaving for a week and am feeling quite pleased with myself (although I'm promise not to get too cocky - learnt the danger of that on day 2!). During the week my new equipment has arrived so I am now using an EJ DE89 razor and an EJ best badger brush. I also purchased some Prof. Blighty soap and a/s. With this setup today I managed 3 passes with no irritation or nicks and can get a DFS.

Next I am going to try and find the best blade to use, I am currently using Superdrug blades and don't know anything about the other than they are made in S. Korea. I am also going to expand my collection of a single soap :D. I am thinking of emailing Martin re: his Black and White collection but would welcome any suggestions you guys have.

dilbertz said:
Next I am going to try and find the best blade to use, I am currently using Superdrug blades and don't know anything about the other than they are made in S. Korea. I am also going to expand my collection of a single soap :D. I am thinking of emailing Martin re: his Black and White collection but would welcome any suggestions you guys have.

Hi there,

First few weeks are the toughest from what I've read, and by this time next week your shave will have improved even more. Your progress sounds good so far.

If I might suggest continuing to use those same blades for another week or so. It may take a few weeks to figure out that goofy technique thing, and switching variables ain't so hot.

After a couple weeks worth of shaves feel free to try as many blades as you like. You'll have a better feel for what fits you best and will be able to tell pretty quick if a blade's a keeper or not.

Martin

Oh yeah, I've used those Dorko 301 blades and they're a good one to start with.

Good luck with future shaving, as said above first week can be painful or lucky... but the cuts will come some day, normally when you try something more aggressive, sharper blades etc, for me it was trying a Merkur futur, feel free to try new products but get that technique down to where it isn't anything to think about but just natural, for the last month or two I have been able to shave with barely any attention and get a extremely smooth shave with 3 passes.

Main bit of technique I found and still find difficult is getting the lather just right, and nice, sometimes I create too much but lately I have been having a problem of making too little :( and have to re do but oh well live and learn.

Welcome,
One thing I had to watch for was getting sloppy/complacent a few weeks in, and the quality of shave dropped off - that, or I was getting more critical of the results. So I scaled back with some blades I was familiar with, some soap I was also familiar with, and took my time.

The recommendation for the Tesco blades is a good one, though I prefer Feathers of Gillette SuperThins - they're a fair bit sharper, and for me, smoother. They're not as forgiving of mistakes, though!

Just take it easy and enjoy it.

dilbertz said:
Well, I've now been DE shaving for a week and am feeling quite pleased with myself (although I'm promise not to get too cocky - learnt the danger of that on day 2!). During the week my new equipment has arrived so I am now using an EJ DE89 razor and an EJ best badger brush. I also purchased some Prof. Blighty soap and a/s. With this setup today I managed 3 passes with no irritation or nicks and can get a DFS.

Dilbertz

From Newbie (Just over two months here) to newbie, if you would like to PM me your address. I will pop some Gillette Nacet and some 7 o'Clock Yellow in the post as a pif. Both I find nice blades, the yellows are highly recommended here by most.

Everyone here was good to me when I first joined so it's only right I help another newbie.

Good luck mate.

cozzyb said:
Good luck with future shaving, as said above first week can be painful or lucky... but the cuts will come some day, normally when you try something more aggressive, sharper blades etc, for me it was trying a Merkur futur

Well I got cuts for two reasons. Firstly because I went for a Futur in the first place. Then, after I changed razor and improved my technique I got cocky and started taking long swipes like they do in the adverts. :oops:

Sounds like you have had a terrific start! I started to shave with a DE about a year ago, and I have the same razor as you do, it's a really good razor! The blades that I have found to work great in the EJ DE89 are Israeli Personnas (they are the best!), Green 7 o clock (I've heard that the yellow ones are suppose to be better) and Shark Platinum. I recommend you to try these blades.

And most people recommend Gillette Thins, Gillette Bleues also, so think you should check those out.

MandoBear said:
Welcome,
One thing I had to watch for was getting sloppy/complacent a few weeks in, and the quality of shave dropped off - that, or I was getting more critical of the results. So I scaled back with some blades I was familiar with, some soap I was also familiar with, and took my time.

Just take it easy and enjoy it.

I'd like to second what MandoBear has said, in the first couple of weeks I must have picked up a dose of beginners luck and I was getting some excellent shaves. In the following few weeks I think that luck deserted me, I also got sloppy and complacent and I had some disappointing shaves.

In the last few weeks I have really concentrated on my technique, learned to relax, take my time and most important of all, I enjoy it! I'm loving traditional shaving!

In the weeks when it was not going so well, I looked across at my Mach 3 and can of gel, and in the words of Colonel Walter E Kurtz I thought "The Horror, The Horror, The Horror!"

Hi All - thanks for the replies. Definitely will continue to take it slow for the next few weeks as per the advice here - red isn't my colour! Also thanks to Northam Saint for the offer of the blades, I have PM'd my address.

Back
Top Bottom