2 dozen blade rule

I think hard and fast rules only benefit the person who posts them. There are enough blades out there for any one, new or old, to find one they like and no one needs to go through two dozen horrible shaves in order to make up their minds about whether a blade works for them or not. You can test a blade to extremis, or you can just chuck it in the bin and try a new one.

Anyone who is prepared to endure even a week of razor rash and painful shaves to prove to himself that a blade may not be the best match for his skin/face really needs locking up for his own safety. Out of all the shaving kit available to the traditional wet shaver blades are the cheapest component. If it irritates you when you know you have good prep, good lather and half decent technique then for God sake put that blade away and try another. You can always come back to them at a later date.
That is why virtually everyone recommends any newbie to purchase a selection pack of blades.

I have to agree with a lot of what's written here as it's largely common sense, well most of it is ;)

• Avoid known outliers such as Feather's and Derby et al. They have their fans yes, but go with what the majority says works
  • Get a few different blades to test. It's cheaper to buy a selection than one-offs (postage)
  • Try and keep other variables, particularly soap and razor, as constant as possible
  • If a blade doesn't feel comfortable, throw it away and try another from the same type (it could be a dud or you may have damaged it). If it's still the same, put them away and try again in the (medium term) future.
  • If a blade works use a few more to hone your technique and then try type another repeating the process as noted above
  • At this stage don't push blades beyond 3 shaves and if they feel tuggy swap them out sooner

Last edited:
I'm actually with Bezoar on this: life is too short. First razor I bought was an EJ DE89 with feathers. I joined the forums pretty soon afterwards. The Feathers savaged me so I tossed them. I bought a selection of other tucks: Derbys:crap for me so tossed them, Voshkods lovely so stocked up, Personna Reds: ok nothing special so use occasionally, Polsilvers, great sp stocked up, Astras great too. I now use Astra, Voshkods in rotation with a few others from a kindly donated sample selection for a change. Life is too short to stick to something that you find nasty. Other razors have come along too. I bought a Parker 24C on Leisureguy's recommendation and found his advice was correct for me:as gentle as the EJ but more efficient. Then there was the 37C that Steve Bowles kindly gifted me and the Rapira Tech knockoff from ebay, then an injector not to mention straights and soaps. Part of the fun is exploring stuff that will work for you. I certainly am not tempted to persevere with blades that don't work for me.

Default for a quick and easy shave out of all of them: 24c, Polsilver blade and Wickhams soap.

@T0m Astra Super Platinums are one of those blades that get a pretty univeral thimbs up from people. You won't have any issues. If you want very very comfortable try a teflon coated blade like Voshkod or Sputnik. I get close, comfortable shaves with Voshkods and can get five good shaves from them. First is a bit too soft, secomd better as some of the teflon wears away, third brilliant, fourth ok, fifth time to change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom