2 piece vs 3 piece DE safety razors ?

Hi all,

What is more friendly (less aggressive) for a first DE safety razor ?

A 2pc one or a 3pc ones ?

I read that 2 pcs are usualy heavier and thus more aggressive where 3 pcs are usualy lighter.

Apart from the thinner / thicker handle is the above weight factor a true one when comparing razors from the same brand - Merkur p.e. 34c vs 23c or 33c ?

Thanks

In the main I'd have suggested that open or closed comb and the general configuration of the shaving head would be the chief contributor to how aggresive a razor is. A longer handle (for me ) always tends to narrow the "sweet spot" of the razor, as a smaller movement on the handle effects a greater alteration in the blade to face contact.
In DE razors I prefer a straightforward 3 piece of whatever maker and whichever model you prefer. Simplicity of design has its own engineering appeal for me. however that's just personal choice.
Ultimately, if you have to buy untried, I'd suggest that you consider what others will doubtless suggest on this thread then go for the razor you plain like the look of. With any luck at all you and it will be happily wedded for many a year !
Enjoy selecting.(& plse come back & let us know what you chose & how it works out).

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Yeah it's more "open vs closed comb", and "small blade gap versus big blade gap" that are the defining factors on whether a razor is aggressive. Open combs and big blade gaps make for the more aggressive razor.

Both 2 piece and 3 piece razors can be heavy or light, mild or aggressive. You're better off picking something with good reviews... Muhle's R89 and the Edwin Jagger DE89 are pretty much the same razor (3 piece with an identical head) and are considered to be fairly mild although they actually shave very well.
All the Merkur models you've mentioned have the same head with a closed safety bar, the 34 is short and very heavy, the 23 is mega long and slim and mid weighted, and the 33 is kind of a mix of both, again mid weighted. They're all good, the 34 was my first razor and I still use it a lot... not hugely aggressive but not too mild, it's a perfectly good first razor.
In fact I'd say pretty much any razor is a good starter as you soon pick it up, I'd maybe just think before ordering an open comb as they can bite a bit if your technique is sloppy. They are doable though.

hi, i'm new to DE shaving and have the 2 piece merkur hd 34c (80grams) and 3 piece gillette tech (fat handle 50grams).
imo the gillette tech is the milder of the two, where the guard bar exposes less blade which helps build confidence.

i started with the merkur 34c and would recommend that as the starter. I only bought the gillette tech for travelling since in breaks down to carry in a small tin.

I think that the extra weight of the 34C / G does make it a tad more aggressive, but it is a very good razor. I find the HD Merkurs suit me much better than their other models.

A safe bet would be an R89 or DE89; both are very well finished and shave nicely.

Thank you all. I just came back home with my new 34c HD in hand. I held asmany as I could and found that the 34c although a bit shortformy liking somehow felt more solid and better to hold, so my new shaving partner found itsplacebeside my brush and cream.
The only thing left for now is to get from you guys regarding some samples of blades I purchased, but that will be posted in a few min. at the blades section! :)

I'm going to have to fall back on my usual suggestion for those just starting out and worried about the "aggressiveness" issue. Go with an adjustable. Merkur or Gillette. You have a choice of setting rather than ending up with only 1. It's also easier if you're trying more than one blade, as you should, because you can try them at different setting.

Back
Top Bottom