25 year old from Gloucestershire, first time DE razor user.

I'm shocked by the amount of people that have had a reaction to TOBS cream. I emailed the shaving shack who were I bought it from asking why there is nothing in the description saying something along the lines of "may not be suitable for sensitive skin".

I've ordered some Mitchell's wool fat soap as well so now I'll have a tubed cream and a soap to experiment with :). The MWF soap seems to get very good reviews and is meant to be good on sensitive skin.

My proraso green tube turned up and I've just had a practise at face lathering with it. Amazing! It lathered up so easily and quickly that after about 1 minute I was thinking to myself "Is this it? Do I need to do anything else or are we good to go already?!" I applied a small amount of cream to my face using my finger, flicked the brush 3 times and started swirling and painting my face. The minty feeling is great too, much stronger than I expected but wears off after 5-10 minutes. It's a different league to that awful TOBS sandalwood I had no luck with which I struggled to lather too.

Welcome to TSR only thing I can add is make sure you load your brush well on the Mitchells wool fat puck and spend time building the lather, as the cream would have been easier to lather.

Welcome @Prohibit. You're not that far behind me in being a newcomer. You bought some great gear to start with. I decided - just to be a bit different! - to go with the Simpsons sandalwood cream. While I didn't get the consistency just right with it on my first shave, I shaved again with it today and it was great. Glad to hear the Proraso is working for you.

Welcome.... enjoy the variations of soap, cream, after shave lotions. Relax into it and before long you'll be intercepting the delivery people and looking to stash product away from prying eyes and questions as to how many you really need. It's all good fun.

My proraso green tube turned up and I've just had a practise at face lathering with it. Amazing! It lathered up so easily and quickly that after about 1 minute I was thinking to myself "Is this it? Do I need to do anything else or are we good to go already?!" I applied a small amount of cream to my face using my finger, flicked the brush 3 times and started swirling and painting my face. The minty feeling is great too, much stronger than I expected but wears off after 5-10 minutes. It's a different league to that awful TOBS sandalwood I had no luck with which I struggled to lather too.

Dangerous talk, young man, but I can see you're in denial. There are LOADS of soaps, creams and the whole shaving paraphernalia to try! I thought the same about Cella when I first tried it - I'd recommend trying it - and lately about MWF, which has become my daily soap (for the moment). You have to work it a bit but I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

As Number6 said, surrender to temptation and enjoy the addiction.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks all. My Mitchell's wool fat soap turned up today and I've just had a practise with it. One word; easy! It lathered so well I can't believe that some people have been struggling with it and I'm a complete notive. I followed a guide on shaving101. Put a bit of warm water on top of the puck, soak brush etc, take brush out of water and give 1 shake so that there's still water in brush, swirl on puck for 30-40 seconds so that it's really loaded and then swirl on face. My lather was instant and I have very very hard water. What's all the fuss about regarding this soap? Lol. It felt really nice on my face too.

Also, what do people with wet soap dishes and overflowing pre-lather? Just wipe clean with some tissue? What about leftover water and pre-lather in the soap dish?

Last edited:
My water is very hard though. I live on a farm and we have our own bore hole so it comes direct from the ground without going to a water treatment centre.

Back
Top Bottom