3 Reviewers Wanted (Again!) (COMPLETED)

Here we go again....

I have a new aftershave that a few of you might like to try.

It is called Grapewood, and is made of the following essential and fragrance oils in perfumers alcohol, floral water and witch hazel.

Grapefruit
Lavender & Violets
Sandalwood & Black Pepper

The scent is relatively fleeting, so that you can edt over the top within 30 minutes I would say, but I like it, and think it works well as an aftershave.

If anyone is interested I will send out bottles to the first three.

I would ask though that when you have used it, you review it on here using the same format.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
BOTTLE
LABELLING
SCENT
BURN
LONGEVITY
VALUE FOR MONEY (£9.99)
SUMMARY

If you would like to take part in the review, PM me with your address and the three bottles will go out Monday morning.

Even if you don't like it, it's a bit of fun anyway!

Martin.

Thanks guys, I have my three reviewers now.

I 'd like to try some of your custom soap please Prof?

I'll send you the ingredients of Penhaligon's English Fern original formula and you see what you can do. ;)

antdad said:
I 'd like to try some of your custom soap please Prof?

I'll send you the ingredients of Penhaligon's English Fern original formula and you see what you can do. ;)

Ok do that, I haven't tried to copy someone else's soap formula before, so that would be interesting for me too.
You're on!

Impressed with the 3 bottles you sent via the bay prof,smells very nice, although the dragons blood smells sod all like the soap i have from mama bears but nice..Have to use a fair bit and i use after a shave and then again about an hour later..Would deffo buy again for the price and great service,hope you realised you sent 3 bottles as i only ordered 2 :D cheers again Slash.

I'd love to try a bit of this (I won't PM the Prof as I was a recipient of some Musk last time :lol: ) but if anyone fancies sending a bit onto me, or a swap from some Musk if they've not yet tried it that would be great ;)

Arrived this morning, thanks Martin.

I'm very optimistic about the initial waft but I'll wait until I've tried it before commenting much more. My, 6 year old, daughter had a sniff and said she "wouldn't even put it on her bum" but you can't please everyone.

After a few sniffs I decided to treat it as cologne and put a little on before heading out this afternoon, then used it as was intended as an aftershave tonight.

First Impressions
You sent me a whole bottle? yay!
I was expecting a little sample.
Box is a bit bashed and very thin

Bottle
Excellent. Good chunky, solid bottle. Easy on the eye and nice to handle

Labelling
The design of the label I like. The printing and sticking looks a bit cheap. I sat it on the bathroom wondowsill with my other shaving gear and had a bath, by the time I had gotten out of the bath the label was bubbling and had started to peel a little, I wasn't in for long. I get the feeling the label will be gone soon. If I bought a few of your products in similar bottles, the bottles I really like, I get the feeling I would have to write the name on the bottles with a marker.

Scent
First few sniffs reveal the grapefruit is by far the dominant scent. It has a little more depth than just grapefruit, perhaps a slight incense quality. I wasn't able to pick up on the lavender, black pepper, violets and sandalwood as individual notes but they make a nice background for the grapefruit. I really like the scent, it's got the fresh citrus zing but it avoids the bathroom cleaner/cheap sweets comparissons I often find in citrus scents.

Burn
This is the first time I've tried something with witchhazel in it. I was a bit worried there would be no burn, there was. Nothing too strong, no sink gripping, but enough to allow for a decent session of faceturbation shortly afterwards. I might prefer a little more burn but I feel that way about Old Spice.

Longevity
After dabbing on a little this afternoon I was noticing the scent for a long time, I used it as an aftershave well over an hour ago and it's still very obvious to me. This is a plus for me but I can't agree with you that it's a fleeting scent. I wouldn't be putting edt on 30mins after using it, unless it was grapewood edt. I can see me using it regularly but not if I was shaving for a night out and was planning on some nice cologne.

Value For Money (£9.99)
Seems like a fair price. Is there postage on top of that?

Summary
After minimal usage I really like the stuff. It performs well as an aftershave, soothes the skin and gives a little burn.
I liked the product and the bottle but the label, whilst looking fine, isn't going to last in a wet shaving environment and the box was pretty thin and bashed up in the short time it took to get here, it will probably end up in the bin soon. I'd much prefer a better quality label and no box.
The grapefruit is strong. I like it. The question "Should you buy this aftershave?" is really "Do you like grapefruits?"
The other thing that struck me is that this seems very much a summer scent, I am enjoying it but some sunshine would complement it much better than the current cold & damp that's keeping it company today.

Shave:
DSC00048.JPG

Thank you very much for the freebie Martin. I wasn't expecting a full bottle, I'm sure I've got some sample bottles somewhere so I'll try and track them down and pif a little. Not too much though as I'll be wanting a decent amount for yours truly.

I'll add a little more once I've gotten to know it better in a week or so.

Cheers

Gary

My bottle just came! I would just like to thank Martin :D

My shave routine was:
Shower & face wash
Ingram Cream
33C
Feather blade
EJ Best Badger brush

First Impressions
My first impressions on this were that its quite cool, basic, low volume product. As said above, the box was thin but mine wasn't that bashed. Very generous size for testing :D

Bottle
I like the bottle, wouldn't change a thing, its really nice.

Labelling
When opening the box, i think the labels could do with being a bit better. It would be nice if then had a bit of a sheen or something to look a tad more professional. It could do without a box and have better lables, i would be inclined to put the ingredients on the back of the bottle on a nice label to match the front.

Scent
I actually really like it. What i've come across is that older people then me tend to be into traditional shaving and so as a result the scents tend to be rather masculine and cater for them. From the bottle is a stronger grapefruit, when worn, its a of a mix of grapefruit and violet, i can't really detect the sandalwood. I'm sitting here now thinking this really is nice. My girlfriend will also appreciate the smell to without saying I smell of old man!

Burn
It lasted about 6-10 seconds. Not very intense, just a nice tingle. I'm not a big fan of burn, even though a little in nice, this has it spot on.

Longevity
For a aftershave, its lasted about a hour and a half and I can still smell it. Its quite pleasant as its such a nice smell.

Value For Money (£9.99)
I would say this is great value for money. If the labels were a bit better, peoples perception of getting a quality product would change, it would be easier to wow them and so in my opinion it would be a bargain.

Summary
Overall, i am very pleased with it. Something that I would keep in my routine. With better labelling, i feel that it would give the stuff inside justice. It would be nice to have other things made with this scent, maybe a shaving cream? Its very impressive and the scent is really nice. 8/10

868484e2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom