A late starting Penwithian ex-pat opens the door and steps outside

Fork....
So.... I've been pretty good and been focusing on technique (so much still to learn)...
I've already treated myself to a Tech (but resisted using it until I reckoned I've deserved it) but shown restraint since...
However, yesterday I spotted a scuttle in a local BHF charity shop and bought it for a possibly steep £3 (my first attempt at using it wasn't good, and I don't think my brush appreciated it).
I've been musing over trying my hand at restoration (I'm one of those moderately cash poor theoretically time rich people) and late in the evening I spotted what was advertised on eBay as a "GILLETTE ARISTOCRAT IN ORIGINAL CHROME CASE" but I rather suspected was a #68 Super Speed with a misread patent number (which resolves to an improvement in ovens) alongside a 1948 Aristocrat #16 case. Both in condition fit for purpose. I shamefully used a snipe to purchase it at my ceiling price. I confessed to SHMBO who told me not to let this new hobby get out of control... Impossible, I said, and showed her pictures from @Bechet 's posts in the scary Shave den show-off (AKA: Bring out your stash!) It will be interesting to see what happens next (and what it is I've bought)

Fork....
So.... I've been pretty good and been focusing on technique (so much still to learn)...
I've already treated myself to a Tech (but resisted using it until I reckoned I've deserved it) but shown restraint since...
However, yesterday I spotted a scuttle in a local BHF charity shop and bought it for a possibly steep £3 (my first attempt at using it wasn't good, and I don't think my brush appreciated it).
I've been musing over trying my hand at restoration (I'm one of those moderately cash poor theoretically time rich people) and late in the evening I spotted what was advertised on eBay as a "GILLETTE ARISTOCRAT IN ORIGINAL CHROME CASE" but I rather suspected was a #68 Super Speed with a misread patent number (which resolves to an improvement in ovens) alongside a 1948 Aristocrat #16 case. Both in condition fit for purpose. I shamefully used a snipe to purchase it at my ceiling price. I confessed to SHMBO who told me not to let this new hobby get out of control... Impossible, I said, and showed her pictures from @Bechet 's posts in the scary Shave den show-off (AKA: Bring out your stash!) It will be interesting to see what happens next (and what it is I've bought)
Man overboard - @tomj777 - you are about to dabble in the Black Arts. Fantastic - good luck with the restos! :D

Welcome Tom!! I have received some great advice from this forum and am only on my 3rd shave!!
From one fellow vaper to another, the "hobby" element to wet shaving is similar to that of vaping - god help us both;)

Welcome Tom - a bit late I know. Also a bit late for you but maybe of use to other newcomers - a bit of advice I picked up the other day is 'Shave the lather' - I think that's a good way of explaining the pressure that should be used.

Welcome Tom - a bit late I know. Also a bit late for you but maybe of use to other newcomers - a bit of advice I picked up the other day is 'Shave the lather' - I think that's a good way of explaining the pressure that should be used.

'tis funny you say that...

I switched blade type this morning from Astra SP to 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge this morning (I was going to transfer the Astra blade to the Tech and use that for the first time but thought I would be better judging a difference by staying with the same razor.
Anyhow, having a much sharper blade I was extra careful with pressure and (I'd probably recently read it here ) the phrase "Shave the lather" bubbled to the forefront of my mind.

Incidentally, the razor & blade combination proved a delight, no tugging and very close, even though I mildly nicked myself just below my bottom lip (corner of mouth, a challenging area) whilst touching up after WTG / ATG . That was the first time I'd drawn blood in, I think, over a week and I forgive myself for that..

Tom,
Those RAD bugs really are biting (know the feeling - just bagged an English ball end Tech off fleabay)! A bit late, but your latest acquisition looks to me like an English Gillette Flare Tip Rocket (US Gillette models of this type were the Super Speed, English Gillette equivalents were the Rocket), which, despite the appearance, is a fine candidate for restoration, as long as the silo doors operate ok. I'm sure we'd all be interested to see the results.

The Aristocrat case looks sound too and should tidy up well. Now you just need to find the Aristocrat to put in it!

I couldn't take in all of Bechet's stash in one viewing, brain kept tripping out on overload, but as he said, he doesn't have to negotiate a way round a SWMBO. It serves as a fine demonstration that my collection to date is in fact extremely modest and therefore in urgent need of expansion.

Glad the Gillette Sharp Edge blades are working for you. They're not for me but the fun is in the trial and occasional error.

Regards,
Chris

You're right, @chrisbd - It is a Rocket. I missed the area above the three section flare (can't think what to call each area). I'd focused on what appeared to be the head depth being thinner (wood / tree blindness). Which one we shall see when it arrives.

Welcome aboard Tom, glad to read that it's going well for you so far. The Tech will really help you nail the angles as it won't work if you're off by much. Get it right though and you'll get a very gentle but effective shave.

No vintage collection would be complete without a Gillette New. Just saying... ;)

...I confessed to SWMBO who told me not to let this new hobby get out of control... Impossible, I said...
If you are going to 'man up' and defy 'She Who Must Be Obeyed,' you might as well be prepared to start referring to her as 'that woman' or 'the missus.'

Might want to start working on descriptive events as well.

For example, "Check out my new razor, 'xxx,' the missus made me sleep on the couch the last two nights, but it was totally worth it."

Luckily, it's not something I have to worry about. My concern is mostly for which razor my girlfriend is going to steal from me this time...

Oooooo.... This just gets better and better.

Whilst working on the consistency of building the lather, I continue to expand the breadth of this new interest.

The "GILLETTE ARISTOCRAT IN ORIGINAL CHROME CASE" is indeed a Flare Tipped Rocket weighing in at 57g +/- 1g (common or garden kitchen scales and looks very much like this which is, I think, the US version as you said, @chrisbd
I don't see a date code on it but I have a feeling these didn't. It does have II marked though.
So... the better and better bit.... It was decidedly unclean on arrival and I spent a thoroughly enjoyable late afternoon cleaning with a toothbrush, washing up liquid and toothpaste. Under a magnifying glass (okay, my phone camera) it's pretty good, although I've got a little bit ingrained between a couple of the vertical knurls on the tip to worry away, and of course a few hard to reach spots at the top. I was surprised just how dirty the inside of the handle was.... So, I've still a way to go before I work out how to polish (oh so gently)... Wish I'd some cape cod cloth...

On the strength of this lark, I successfully bid pittance 20 minutes before end on an aluminium Tech (probably) with a view of cleaning... although now looking at the pictures, it doesn't nearly as filthy as the Rocket... Nonetheless, I eagerly await.

Tom,
The razor you linked to is an English Flare Tip Rocket, incorrectly titled as an English Super Speed (hark at me, like I know!). As a rule of thumb for distinguishing features, English Gillette Rockets have pointed tips to the end plates (beside the blade tray), the US Super Speeds' ones were clipped square. This detail became blurred on later models when it seems to me the UK & US used a similar design (I'm still learning).

English Gillette didn't start date coding their (our?) razors until much later (70's, I think) but the II mark is correct. Not sure the US Super Speeds had that.

Glad you get a buzz out of cleaning it, that's part of the fascination for me. It's amazing what can be achieved with simple equipment, some elbow grease and patience. I invested in a small gun cleaning kit from Amazon, featuring a stiff nylon brush and a bronze brush, which have proved useful for cleaning the knurling. Don't be too aggressive with the bronze brush. I wonder whether a small test tube brush would enable you to clean inside the handle, as far as you can reach.

Good luck with the aluminium Tech. You're well down the slippery slope and you still have to find the razor for which your case was intended!

Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom