A question for collectors

Somewhat by accident I seem to have acquired quite a selection of vintage DE razors over the last year, I never set out to and don't really know how it happened. :oops: :lol:

Thinking about it, the razors as a whole are probably worth a fair bit of money now, a lot of the more valuable ones I seem to have picked up for decent prices. So for those with a sizeable collection, do you have them catalogued in some way? Do you have them all photographed for insurance purposes?

I will sell them at some point, as I don't really wish to be a collector, the razor market is probably performing better than my ISA at any rate.

I have one which is a collector grade, but again, acquired by mistake! Its only 1 and and not really worth mega money so no photo's or nothing.

I plan to pass that to my lad (if i have one!)

Its a NOS slim adj btw.

I have quite a few Collector Grade examples, worth quite a bit to a collector i guess but they have no intrinsic value, so not really anything i would bother to insure,

To Insurance Call Center Rep "yes it's a razor, you shave with it, but it's worth money you know !"

I like having them, just like owning them, a piece of history saved from being thrown out, i don't have kids, if i do then i would love them to have my collection.

Will see in 30 years what i plan to do with them, if i still have them, if i'm still here......

I don't try to buy super-duper mega mint razors as I am not really a collector. I may own a dozen or so razors, but I've sold on more than that. I buy to try and if I like, I keep, if not I shift on.

Don't see the point in having a glass cabinet full of mint boxed razors, what you gonna do, sit looking at them? Invite your friends around to admire them?

Blimey, if the answers yes - you wanna get out more :|

sunburyboy93 said:
I have quite a few Collector Grade examples, worth quite a bit to a collector i guess but they have no intrinsic value, so not really anything i would bother to insure,

To Insurance Call Center Rep "yes it's a razor, you shave with it, but it's worth money you know !"

I like having them, just like owning them, a piece of history saved from being thrown out, i don't have kids, if i do then i would love them to have my collection.

Will see in 30 years what i plan to do with them, if i still have them, if i'm still here......

I don't intend insuring them separately, they should be covered by the general household insurance I would have thought, just wondered whether I should bother cataloguing and photographing them. I don't think for a minute that any one is going to break in and steal them but didn't know whether it was something to be mindful of.

As for no intrinsic value, if you were to try and replace them at market value, them you'd probably end up paying quite a bit more than you did at the car boot sales. ;)

moodymick said:
I don't try to buy super-duper mega mint razors as I am not really a collector. I may own a dozen or so razors, but I've sold on more than that. I buy to try and if I like, I keep, if not I shift on.

Don't see the point in having a glass cabinet full of mint boxed razors, what you gonna do, sit looking at them? Invite your friends around to admire them?

Blimey, if the answers yes - you wanna get out more :|

None of the ones that I've picked up were with the intention of getting a collection, I've just managed to bag the odd boxed Aristocrat and Toggle, plus a Sticky etc. Shaved with all of them, except the toggle. These things can fetch upwards of £150, once you get more than a handful of razors, they soon start adding up.

Yellow Jim said:
sunburyboy93 said:

I don't intend insuring them separately, they should be covered by the general household insurance I would have thought, just wondered whether I should bother cataloguing and photographing them. I don't think for a minute that any one is going to break in and steal them but didn't know whether it was something to be mindful of.

As for no intrinsic value, if you were to try and replace them at market value, them you'd probably end up paying quite a bit more than you did at the car boot sales. ;)

Perhaps wrong choice of word, what i meant was the Razor has no real value for what it is, it's a metal razor in a box, it's not encrusted in diamonds or made of solid gold....but in a collectors market it's worth far more than it's actual physical value.....

can't help it if i'm thick...................i know what i mean ;) ;)

I doubt if any razor I've got except the Mergress or the Slim would make it to double figures. Perhaps I'll just put my 3 Tupperware boxes under tyhe stairs next to the British Heart Foundation bag awaiting filling up & passing on. That way maybe if anyone breaks in they'll just think it's not even got sentimental value.

JohnnyO. :geek:

DEs
  • I don't have that many of value, but for me it's the mechanical bits I like, I collect a few interesting ones because of that.
    I have probably a picture of all my razors, since they've all been posted up here at one point or another. (and I don't throw away any pics)[/list:u]

Straights
    • I have a few worth maybe a 100 quid a pop to a collector, same goes as for the DEs, I have pics because I've posted them on here.
      [/list:u]

Max

Back
Top Bottom