A thing of beauty - As-D1

It arrived this morning in all its honoring wrapping. Lovely bit of kit! A joy to handle. I see it has a flat-bed blade clamp as has the Pils, and totally accurate blade location. Good heft. Looks as mild as it is reported to be but I'm still going to give it a test run with a green 7 o'clock.

Is it morning yet?

Dont be fooled into thinking mild, i like to say efficient, also this is my view, dont waste your time putting any other blade in that razor it was made for the feather blade, This is my one and I can pick fault and find imperfection in almost anything i look at, but this razor fit & finish and function to me is flawless.

Jamie.

002-1-1.jpg

I love mine, and it makes all blades better. Current preference is the Gillette thins.

Two pass shave, nice n smooth, with no nicks or soreness.

Beautiful razor... I love seeing your purchases Bechet45! You are really going for it and I'm jealous of every one of them :) So far I think the Webber might be my favourite, but I'll look forwards to seeing how you get on with this one.

Actually, it would be great if you could do a comparison piece on them at some stage. Handy for those of us who might only be able to plump for one :)

The Weber is the sensible one to go for - a fantastic shave at an almost reasonable price for an all-stainless razor.

The Feather is an expensive addition to an all-stainless collection, as is the Pils.

However, if you can afford it or can just worry about cash-flow later (me) and appreciate the tool-makers' art and craft and relish the feeling of using the best tool money can buy and love using such a tool and all before breakfast - well, it just lifts RAD to a whole new level! The Feather is superbly made, edges you could cut yourself on they are so precise (if you were daft enough).

MoL - are there any good looking SE razors? I've only ever seen weird shaped contraptions. Seen the Cobra and don't fancy it. I'm toying with the idea of an Artists' Club shavette as I'm having such a hard time with keeping a straight sharp.

Great photos, p-t-s-o! The padding in the box has been changed slightly!

How far from Southampton do you live, Chopper?

Bechet45 said:
The Weber is the sensible one to go for - a fantastic shave at an almost reasonable price for an all-stainless razor.

The Feather is an expensive addition to an all-stainless collection, as is the Pils.

However, if you can afford it or can just worry about cash-flow later (me) and appreciate the tool-makers' art and craft and relish the feeling of using the best tool money can buy and love using such a tool and all before breakfast - well, it just lifts RAD to a whole new level! The Feather is superbly made, edges you could cut yourself on they are so precise (if you were daft enough).

MoL - are there any good looking SE razors? I've only ever seen weird shaped contraptions. Seen the Cobra and don't fancy it. I'm toying with the idea of an Artists' Club shavette as I'm having such a hard time with keeping a straight sharp.

Great photos, p-t-s-o! The padding in the box has been changed slightly!

How far from Southampton do you live, Chopper?

Thanks for the summary! Was the best tool money can buy reference referring to the Pils or Feather?

I'm right at the top end of the M3, so it could be further away but not round the corner either!

Stu

ChopperHarris said:
Bechet45 said:
Was the best tool money can buy reference referring to the Pils or Feather?

Stu

That's a very good question! Maybe I'll know more in twelve hours time!

Oh yes! I have an early iKon modelled on the 1920 Gillette Genuine wending its way toward me. Very busy bankrupting myself - don't need any more help!

It's a fun way to get through the cash though :) I'm becoming a figure of fun at work (and in the family) but my obsession is shaving creams / soaps at the moment so it will take a little longer to bankrupt me!

The Ikon razors look great - I love the bulldog handles. They are the complete opposite of the EJ ED89 I use, which has no grip on the handle whatsoever.

Bechet45 said:
It arrived this morning in all its honoring wrapping. Lovely bit of kit!
Is it morning yet?

Sheeeesh, another damn enabler heard from! That's one of the few DE razors on my list (my back, actually) of shaving crap to test drive. I can't recall ever reading a bad review on those things.

Heh, it's the not knowing how it shaves that gets me. No clue how the Feather would fit me, but the design sure seems promising. Very good looking in a clean sorta way.

Congrats on the new addition to your shaving arsenal,

Martin

SpeedyBabylon5 said:
I only live a few miles from you Bechet on the Isle of Wight, give me your address and I will come and raid your bathroom:)

Hi Nick

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've just booked my first ever trip to the Isle of Wight for our annual family holiday (the nearest my girls have come to going overseas!) We're going to be staying in Merstone in August... 2 questions:

1. Is there anything that you would definitely recommend we do during the week?
2. Are there any shaving supplies shops I should look out for?

Thanks
Stu

Back
Top Bottom