A thing of beauty - As-D1

Absolutely agreed - it needs a very precise angle. I shall be paying great attention in the morning, trust me!

I've been studying the cutting geometry this evening - with a Feather blade - and it is very, very mild. So the question occured to me - are all blades exactly the same size? A few microns more exposure would alter the cutting capacity hugely.

Just when you think your technique is OK, another bloody learning opportunity comes along!

That's the thing of it, Garbe - a razor to be learned!

I'm put in mind of my early experiences with Japanese ship builders and Japan in general, their culture. There is still a lot of samurai in Japan, a traditional way of being and thinking. As honoured guest, you soon get used to be ushered to the seat furthest from the door but trying to persuade a naval architect that he has to raise the deckheads (ceilings) by 400mm is not easy; the need to re-design all the engine room pipe runs so westerners could move safely was even worse.

I suspect the As-D1 is designed for Japanese men - way less hairy faced than us - and we have to adjust to it. Just a theory but it hangs true for me.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that this mornings all-Feather shave went much better but sad to report that it still didn't pass muster. I've gotten my cheeks within a knat's crotchet of a Tech feel but my neck is still off.

The razor continues to shave so smoothly, effortlessly that it is hard to tell when the angle is just-so, but what I've learned to date is that it likes to shave pretty much on its back with its leg in the air (75 - 80 degrees, I guess) and that it likes - insists on - taut skin. My straight razor attempts came in very handy here! You must resist pressing in else it will give you weepers, even though you won't feel anything untoward. A micro-knowledge of your beard's directions of growth would be highly beneficial as I don't see - as yet - how a BBS shave could be obtained without an ATG pass - which really is not even vaguely a problem with this razor.

I'm still disappointed that it is not an instant brilliant shave - my expectation at £150 and reinforced by the Pils - but I begin to see possibilities and remain encouraged by posts from regular users/lovers of the As-D1.

I shall bow to it tomorrow in case it believes it of higher rank than me. Do we own our razors or they us?

I had a Feather SS for a short while but sold it. I was dissapointed with it, as essentially it's just a beefed up Gillette Tech. The resulting shave (for me) was the same - very mild; fine if that's what you are looking for, but I wasn't.

Ian

Tranquillity of spirit is essential for a good outcome in all things. Calmness of mind helps with As-D1s and resisting the urge to press!

Day 3 was best yet and I got a shave approaching close and smooth all over - but only because this razor is so mild (with a Feather blade) that it permits a multitude of passes and buffs without punishing the user. It took time and patience but we got there!

Handle 80 degrees to your face means a cutting angle of 10 degrees I suppose - very hard to maintain because of long habit and shape of face - but essential. Now I understand what is meant by feed-back from a blade - this razor gives very little so a quiet room helps you hear whether it is cutting or not. Frequent checks with finger tips tells a lot, of course.

Anyway, it's dis-armed, cleaned and dried - and not stored in pride of place in my stainless collection - for another try another day.

Stick with it mate.

It took me several attempts to find the correct angle with my Ikon Shavecraft. I almost gave up and flogged it, but the angle was totally different to all my other razors (almost 90 degrees) and when I found it it shaved beautifully.

I'm sure your Feather will be similar.

Back
Top Bottom