A thought on taste and change

A lot of the stuff on the open market now, leaves a lot to be desired. For razors costing 120$+, they should inspire more then "ho hum, wheres my travel tech" when you look at them.

On the adverse, one can ask the question that why are the current makers using such lack luster advertising models to shill their products?

There is no point advertising new models of DE/SE razors to the masses. That ship has sailed. My Son is horrified that I need the stuff I have bought in order to shave. 20 quid for half a tub of soap :eek: He say's I'm doing it out of a sense of nostalgia for the old days, especially with my Tech and straight. He shakes his can of gloop, instantly spreads it on his face, picks up a cartridge and whizzes it around his mug in seconds, Quick rinse and he is out the door on the pull while I'm struggling with the angle and trying not to cut my lip off with my incredibly sharp 19th century straight. Knowing I have another full pass and clean up still to do.
Society has moved on. Convenience is the word. Everything has to be instant. My lad will not even look at my Tech and frankly I don't blame him one iota.

I get a real kick from shaving with vintage razors, but have no desire to own a specific type just in order to say that I have such-and-such a model. I have six, all of which were bought because of how well they were reputed to shave. I've never spent more than £30 on any razor.

I got the last razor on my list, an English New, last week, and now plan to stop. There is nothing else in the DE line I'm looking for, modern or vintage. If I saw an absolute bargain - eg a Toggle in a car boot sale for £10 - then of course I'd probably buy it, but other than that, I'm done. I think.

I've bought loads and then sold loads.

I've found a few that appeal and I like to use / 'looks' at or just the way I like to have around (4 DEs I think) and a Feather DX for those straight day urges.

It is too easy to get swamped in this 'hobby' as nothing it too expensive to justify do I really need this item just because everyone else wants it?

Soaps, balms and AS, not that interested. I have the ones I like or am using, when they're gone I'll get a few more to try.

i have been through all the 'must have' stuff, fatboys,super adjustables, rockets, slims etc....i sold all of them. my current lineup is all oddities and oddballs but they shave beautifully, which in the end is all they are there for. its no good having lots of beautiful things that are incompatible with my face and technique. i think sometimes the pursuit of those shiny objects blinds us to the reason for having them in the first place, looking smart and clean.

i have been through all the 'must have' stuff, fatboys,super adjustables, rockets, slims etc....i sold all of them. my current lineup is all oddities and oddballs but they shave beautifully, which in the end is all they are there for. its no good having lots of beautiful things that are incompatible with my face and technique. i think sometimes the pursuit of those shiny objects blinds us to the reason for having them in the first place, looking smart and clean.
nicely put sir.;)..i've only been DE shaving since april, and have 9 razors, Parkers,muhles,merkur fatip grande,gillette tech's.. and a christmas pressie russian adjustable.which the man in the white beard will leave for me on xmas eve..after that,this is all i require, i will not go on any more impulse buying bouts, ..i've got what i need, not what i want..if that makes sense.Regards.;)

nicely put sir.;)..i've only been DE shaving since april, and have 9 razors, Parkers,muhles,merkur fatip grande,gillette tech's.. and a christmas pressie russian adjustable.which the man in the white beard will leave for me on xmas eve..after that,this is all i require, i will not go on any more impulse buying bouts, ..i've got what i need, not what i want..if that makes sense.Regards.;)
Oh C'mon PF....I don't see an ATT on that list. You know you want one.....Oh G'wan, G'wan,G'wan...

thats what im never happy seeing, telling someone they need something they don't.
The intention of telling me what i need, won't work..Wayne's comment was just light-hearted banter..however i understand the meaning behind your post..as in my original post, I've got what i need, not what i want.It's me who decides if i need something..i don't try to keep up with the shaving jones of this world.Regards.:)

Last edited:
I have my EJ 3D Laser Diamond and a vintage Gillette on order. I would like to add a more aggressive razor to the collection but that will have to wait until the funds are available.

I am prone to envy, but reading some of the posts on here have calmed that down a little.
Youve got a great collection coming your way..you can always try using an aggressive blade to get the feel how a more aggressive blade reacts to your shaving technique, i've found non-aggressive razors work excellent with aggressive blades,and vice versa.. when the funds are available,plus if and when you decide to get a more aggressive razor The fatip Piccolo or fatip Grande are a excellent choice, i have the Grande which is less heavier than the Piccolo ,but both have the same open-comb head. Regards.:)

thats what im never happy seeing, telling someone they need something they don't.
I couldn't care less what you are happy or unhappy with. It is OK for you to come on and spout about what you like, how your vintage razors are so much better than everything else anyone else has and everyone has to listen to you. Well guess what Bezoar some people have different ideas from you. You just have to learn to live with it. Other people have opinions too.

Youve got a great collection coming your way..you can always try using an aggressive blade to get the feel how a more aggressive blade reacts to your shaving technique, i've found non-aggressive razors work excellent with aggressive blades,and vice versa.. when the funds are available,plus if and when you decide to get a more aggressive razor The fatip Piccolo or fatip Grande are a excellent choice, i have the Grande which is less heavier than the Piccolo ,but both have the same open-comb head. Regards.:)

I have tried several blades in the EJ and so far the Feather is the one I find most suite whith the Polsilver Super Iridium a close second. When the vintage arrives I will try a few different blades to see how they get on. I have suspicion that the new vintage razor will prefer a calmer blade. I have absolutely no knowledge base for this suspicion, just a guess

I have tried several blades in the EJ and so far the Feather is the one I find most suite whith the Polsilver Super Iridium a close second. When the vintage arrives I will try a few different blades to see how they get on. I have suspicion that the new vintage razor will prefer a calmer blade. I have absolutely no knowledge base for this suspicion, just a guess
i've never tried Feathers..but the Polsilver Super Iridium along with the Gillette 7'oClock SharpEdge & voskhod Teflon Coated, are my favourite russian made blades..all imho superb blades, which give excellent results.Especially the Polsilver Super Iridium. super sharp,super smooth.

Here's something i posted yesterday on razor burn.my humble limited advice on aggressive & non-aggressive razors and blades.
index.php

we all get slightly overzealous with ourselves sometimes ,and forget the vital basic DE shaving rules.. shaving Angles with DE razors - Use a steep angle with more aggressive razors or sharper, less-forgiving blades Use the shallow angle with milder razors/blades. Whichever angle you use, do NOT press onto the face with the razor - Just let the razors weight do the work and you'll be fine!..i've trained my mind to shave the lather from my face,rather than the stubble.
This post doesn't mean to be patronizing in anyway,..i've learn't to use my more aggressive razors with this method, with no irrtation, nicks or cuts..i hope this helps in some way.Regards.:)

Last edited:
i've never tried Feathers..but the Polsilver Super Iridium along with the Gillette 7'oClock SharpEdge & voskhod Teflon Coated, are my favourite russian made blades..all imho superb blades, which give excellent results.Especially the Polsilver Super Iridium. super sharp,super smooth.

Here's something i posted yesterday on razor burn.my humble limited advice on aggressive & non-aggressive razors and blades.
index.php

we all get slightly overzealous with ourselves sometimes ,and forget the vital basic DE shaving rules.. shaving Angles with DE razors - Use a steep angle with more aggressive razors or sharper, less-forgiving blades Use the shallow angle with milder razors/blades. Whichever angle you use, do NOT press onto the face with the razor - Just let the razors weight do the work and you'll be fine!..i've trained my mind to shave the lather from my face,rather than the stubble.
This post doesn't mean to be patronizing in anyway,..i've learn't to use my more aggressive razors with this method, with no irrtation, nicks or cuts..i hope this helps in some way.Regards.:)
I find your shallow angle a bit steep and your steep angle will result in no blade contact. Your razor may vary... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom