A thought on taste and change

I find your shallow angle a bit steep and your steep angle will result in no blade contact. Your razor may vary... :rolleyes:
The angles on both images are slightly exaggerated obviously,it's not a pedantic guide,it's just a general guide, and it works for me..your shaving technique may differ from mine, but if it works, stick with it.Regards.

Last edited:
I have tried several blades in the EJ and so far the Feather is the one I find most suite whith the Polsilver Super Iridium a close second. When the vintage arrives I will try a few different blades to see how they get on. I have suspicion that the new vintage razor will prefer a calmer blade. I have absolutely no knowledge base for this suspicion, just a guess

There really is no good guide to selecting a razor blade for any razor, even for vintage. The only thing I have come to learn with my vintage razors is that :

they were typically made for thicker blades with less flex then the blades you have on hand, and as a result selecting a blade with maximum smoothness and medium sharpness is the best bet.

Since I have been using a real razor again, I wanted very specific vintage razors to have. The use wasn't paramount, just to have, to posess to make me "equal" with every faceless person on these forums.
It wasn't hard to get to that status really of hoarder of specific items. A lot of items have been given god like status on forums and in blogs, that one feels compelled to pursue these beasts of shavingdom down for ourselves. But its rather pointless.

The other day looking at razors on line, I went through Valet Autostrops on ebay and etsy, and reading on them something came over me. RAD was dead.. at least for the double edge world.

I have great DE razors. fatboy, 41/46 aristocrat, 46 ranger head super speed, gold super adjustable, and numerous techs.

I had lusted after a milady tech, and a ranger tech. But I realized that as I was buying genuine un opened English made Valet blades and a near mint autostrop, that I had no purchase rage for that milady tech, which currently resides at 10.50 minus case on ebay, or for the used toggles currently listed at 120$.

Sure I have interest in them as historical items, and as razors, but I have no want, self made or media inflicted to buy them. I can tell myself it would be nice to say I have that toggle or milady tech, and that I could have gotten them for a 10th of what they normally sell for..

But I see no point in trying to get them. They do nothing that my ww2 contract tech doesn't. and there is no way they would shave better or smoother then my travel tech does.

So how does one cope when they no longer have interest in getting in line with everyone else for the latest greatest fad?

I understand and agree. Just time for you to move on. Me. I'm not there yet I'm still in the collecting and using mode. Maybe in time this will wane, but for now I'm still lusting after few more vintage Gillette's for my collection.

There really is no good guide to selecting a razor blade for any razor, even for vintage. The only thing I have come to learn with my vintage razors is that :

they were typically made for thicker blades with less flex then the blades you have on hand, and as a result selecting a blade with maximum smoothness and medium sharpness is the best bet.

Thanks for the advice Bezoar. I have a selection of blades and it will be fun trying them to find a perfect match

I guess I don't see what the problem is if you want to collect the stuff. No different than stamps or teacups or decorative commemorative spoons, except a guy gets to use it more often.

There is nothing to "cope with" as the OP puts it if you aren't interested in collecting more of it. So just don't then. It is a hobby, not a religion. I don't collect quilting swatches either, but I don't feel my lack of enthusiasm for it requires coping skills.

The thing I see is people chasing perfection and not appreciate what they have

A few select items you really love and just use them

There are people who I see on forums and on social media who are constantly announcing their latest and great acquisition, then within a fortnight they have said item on BST. I struggle to believe that they have given the hardware enough of a fair run to happily make judgement on the item.

I have owned a sh*tload of different razors (including Toggle, different Aristocrats, Fasan, Mulcuto, Neo Lux slants, Fatboys, Rockets...) and I'm happy to shave with the 3 DE razors that I've kept and watch demand (and price) rise and fall on whichever razor/brush is the "on-trend" item of the month.

There are people who I see on forums and on social media who are constantly announcing their latest and great acquisition, then within a fortnight they have said item on BST. I struggle to believe that they have given the hardware enough of a fair run to happily make judgement on the item.

I have owned a sh*tload of different razors (including Toggle, different Aristocrats, Fasan, Mulcuto, Neo Lux slants, Fatboys, Rockets...) and I'm happy to shave with the 3 DE razors that I've kept and watch demand (and price) rise and fall on whichever razor/brush is the "on-trend" item of the month.

Been there done that. Settled on a very small stash and 1 razor that works for me

The thing I see is people chasing perfection and not appreciate what they have

A few select items you really love and just use them

That's pretty much where I am. I'd have to save up in order to afford the modern stainless razors that are the latest fashion, and that would mean that I wouldn't be able to afford anything else in the meantime.

I spent 50$ on a real nice user grade fat boy, I felt somewhat foolish for paying that much until I cleaned it up and started using it.
I felt foolish for spending 45 on my O4 gold super adjustable until I started using it.

both of them seem to have doubled in price on the ebay world.

its just sooo stupid to spend 300 on a fancy super must have razor when you can get yourself a decades worth of soap and blades for that much. Or at the very least a really nice user grade fat boy, replate it, and buy yourself a top of the line badger brush and some nice soaps.

I spent 50$ on a real nice user grade fat boy, I felt somewhat foolish for paying that much until I cleaned it up and started using it.
I felt foolish for spending 45 on my O4 gold super adjustable until I started using it.

both of them seem to have doubled in price on the ebay world.

its just sooo stupid to spend 300 on a fancy super must have razor when you can get yourself a decades worth of soap and blades for that much. Or at the very least a really nice user grade fat boy, replate it, and buy yourself a top of the line badger brush and some nice soaps.

It is also quite rude of you to keep posting that people who choose to buy them are acting stupidly. Would you go on an auto enthusiast's forum and continually degrade people who don't drive Datsuns?

I swear sometimes I think you need your own full time mod.

Stupid?

Decadent at a push.

Who seriously worries about what folk spend on a razor? If they have the cash and enjoy it that is all that matters.

If we see chapters of Razors Anonymous opening up, with guys going on about how their spending on razors ruined their lives and families you may well have a point.

Until then, power to their elbow, wallet and whiskers.

Back
Top Bottom